Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage7.png
Black Pixel today released its first major in-house app, Kaleidoscope 2. The app that helps coders, writers and others to compare the differences in folders, images, text, and more. The app was released as a beta back in November.

At the time, The Next Web spoke with former Apple employee Michael Jurewitz and the rest of the Black Pixel team about Kaleidoscope 2:
Kaleidoscope 2 is a lovely comparison app that allows you to take two or more files, folders or images and compare them to one another. The applications are broad, with benefits that swing from developers on one end to those simply looking to compare two images side-by-side. It has full integration with Git, Subversion, Mercurial, and Bazaar. The app can be used as the default conflict resolver for code with its command line integration or simply to check the changed passages in a collaborative word document. It's beautifully designed, fast and wonderful to use. It's become an essential part of my toolkit already.
kaleidoscope.jpg
Black Pixel acquired Kaleidoscope and Versions last year, as well as the popular RSS reader NetNewsWire. Version 2 of Kaleidoscope is the first major bit of software that Black Pixel has put its own name on -- previously, the company focused on developing apps for outside clients.

Kaleidoscope 2 is currently available on the Mac App Store [Direct Link], directly from Black Pixel or as a 15-day trial. It's available for $35 through January 30th, after which it will be $70.

Article Link: Black Pixel's Comparison App 'Kaleidoscope 2' Goes Live on Mac App Store

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
$70 to be able to cheat at find the difference puzzles seems a bit steep, doesn't it?

In all seriousness though, there are online tools that do this same thing for free... how can this be so much better than free to justify such a price?

lordmorgul

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
how can this be so much better than free to justify such a price?

I agree... it is graphical diff... and all the code repository applications have diff built right in. It seems a little bit unnecessary, but if command line tools are not your thing sure it could be nice... but even the $35 intro price seems pretty high.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
$70 is a bit much, but as a developer $35 for a good diff tool isn't too bad. I've used Beyond Compare for a while and found it worth it's price several times over when doing code reviews.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
$70 to be able to cheat at find the difference puzzles seems a bit steep, doesn't it?

In all seriousness though, there are online tools that do this same thing for free... how can this be so much better than free to justify such a price?
Puzzles? Try articles, code, legal briefs, contracts, financials......

lhawkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2006
Isn't this pretty much the same as the free FileMerge application included with Apple's Developer Tools located in /Applications/Xcode/Contents/Applications/FileMerge ?

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
$70 is unreasonable since this is a unix command in the terminal. You can use the 'diff' command, and there's also 'vimdiff' for those vim users out there (my personal preference).

I guess it'll be helpful for non-programmers, but I just don't see the reason for the high price tag.

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
How is this different from Bbedit ($40), or even the free TextWrangler?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Isn't this pretty much the same as the free FileMerge application included with Apple's Developer Tools located in /Applications/Xcode/Contents/Applications/FileMerge ?

Yeah, I'd like to see how it's different (and presumably better?). Looks almost identical from what I can see. And actually I find FileMerge inside Xcode works pretty well.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
After trying this, my favourite visual diff app remains to be DiffMerge, which is available for OS X, Windows and Linux.

UaVWm.png

Now, as nice as DiffMerge is, unfortunately it is very poorly maintained and updated. It's just missing a few easy-to-implement (IMO) features that'd make it so much better, and its developers don't seem to care much about it. It's really too bad, because it is lightyears ahead in some of the core functionality. :(

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
this app supposedly is able to compare folders and display the differences in their contets. i dont need all those extra features. does anyone know of an app i can use to compare two different folders and show me differences (and if possible a reconcile function for making them identical?)
thanks

mdlux

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
DropSync

----------

this app supposedly is able to compare folders and display the differences in their contets. i dont need all those extra features. does anyone know of an app i can use to compare two different folders and show me differences (and if possible a reconcile function for making them identical?)
thanks

DropSync works for me (Mac App Store)

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
After trying this, my favourite visual diff app remains to be DiffMerge, which is available for OS X, Windows and Linux.

Now, as nice as DiffMerge is, unfortunately it is very poorly maintained and updated. It's just missing a few easy-to-implement (IMO) features that'd make it so much better, and its developers don't seem to care much about it. It's really too bad, because it is lightyears ahead in some of the core functionality. :(
I think everyone failed to notice one of Kaleidoscope's highlighted features:
POWERFUL IMAGE COMPARISON
✧ Compare images side by side, stacked, or split
✧ Spot subtle pixel differences with a high contrast “difference mask”

mzl.zudlnvpo.800x500-75.jpg
As far as I know, the alternative apps mentioned in this thread (FileMerge, Bbedit, DiffMerge, etc.) can't do image comparison.

Sure, there's a couple of cheaper solutions for that (apps like PixCompare or dupeGuru PE) but it's possible that Kaleidoscope performs better.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

Talk about myopia. Kaleidoscope is a lot more than a Diff app.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Overpriced considering it does nothing that people who truly need to compare things are already doing for much cheaper.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
For developers,Beyond Compare is being released for the Mac - when v4 comes out for windows and Linux. With any luck, sooner rather than later.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I Love Kaleidoscope 1 for a few things:
- All the changes in the same window, so I can go back and forth for code reviewing
- Image comparison

That said, 35$ is too steep for an upgrade, let alone 70$

There might be other tools for that, but haven't been looking... until now...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I Love Kaleidoscope 1 for a few things:
- All the changes in the same window, so I can go back and forth for code reviewing
- Image comparison

That said, 35$ is too steep for an upgrade, let alone 70$

There might be other tools for that, but haven't been looking... until now...

It's 50% off until end of January. The price is in line with other paid for diff tools that offer the same range of functionality.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
This app is pretty cool, and I love the concept of a "swiss army knife" of file comparison.

But $70 is a bit steep, at least for my purposes. Then again, I don't code, but I'd use it for reviewing document revisions and photos. For that purpose, $35 seems pricey.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
It's 50% off until end of January. The price is in line with other paid for diff tools that offer the same range of functionality.

The problem is that I paid for version 1. And even at 35$, it is steep for an upgrade, IMHO.

That said, if you buy from their store (and not MAS), there is an entry for "update coupon". So I sent them an email and we will see I guess.

Cheers!

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Talk about myopia. Kaleidoscope is a lot more than a Diff app.
For my work, I need an excellent text diff app. I don't compare pictures in my work, but I do compare a lot of code.

If your needs are different, then your preference of app will likely be different too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.