Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thatguy120191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
I have had an iPhone on sprint since June. First the 4s now the 5. The service is terrible. I have called every month to complain. Half of the time I don't even get 3G. My calls drop my texts don't go threw and worst of all is the Internet I can't look anything up. It's 350$ to get out often contract but I was wondering since they aren't keeping up on there end with the quality of service is there any way to get out of the fee

I know it doesn't have to really do with iPhone just looking for some help. Thanks

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have had an iPhone on sprint since June. First the 4s now the 5. The service is terrible. I have called every month to complain. Half of the time I don't even get 3G. My calls drop my texts don't go threw and worst of all is the Internet I can't look anything up. It's 350$ to get out often contract but I was wondering since they aren't keeping up on there end with the quality of service is there any way to get out of the fee

I know it doesn't have to really do with iPhone just looking for some help. Thanks

Just curious, did you have sprint before you got the iPhone? Did they tell you that you were in an area with good 3G coverage? Just wondering if you checked all your bases before purchasing a plan and phone with them. I don't know what other people get for speed on Sprint, but I thought it wasn't supposed to be that great to begin with? I'm not sure. Just check to make sure the service thing can all be pointed back on them. If they promised great 3G coverage in your area and you're not getting it, you may have some ground to stand on for getting out of fee's.

I'm not a good bargainer so i can't help you with what to tell them. If it was me, I'd probably just eat the fee's and be grumpy for a while.

Thatguy120191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
I was told that I had perfect 3G in my area when I signed up and that lte was a few months away. If I'm not on wifi my phone is pretty useless. When I call they always tell me something different. Try telling me it's my phone or something like that. I had 3 different phones on sprint and they all sucked.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I was told that I had perfect 3G in my area when I signed up and that lte was a few months away. If I'm not on wifi my phone is pretty useless. When I call they always tell me something different. Try telling me it's my phone or something like that. I had 3 different phones on sprint and they all sucked.

Then I'd try that approach. They promised a service that you just aren't getting no matter what phone you use. Hell, make them come out and test their own phones.

Thatguy120191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
I was gonna start screen shooting every time I didn't have 3G but doubt that will do anything. My big question was they said I have to pay since I signed a contract is there something in a contract requiring the amount of service they give me?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

It's widely known that Sprint has horrible 3G/LTE service. Many people are complaining about it. I'm so glad that I chose Verizon over Sprint.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I was gonna start screen shooting every time I didn't have 3G but doubt that will do anything. My big question was they said I have to pay since I signed a contract is there something in a contract requiring the amount of service they give me?

I honestly don't know. I know AT&T had an app specifically to send reports of lost service that would document where you were and at what time and the conditions under which it happened (Driving, in a house, outside, etc). Do screen shots tag metadata into them like taken with the camera?

Thatguy120191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
I honestly don't know. I know AT&T had an app specifically to send reports of lost service that would document where you were and at what time and the conditions under which it happened (Driving, in a house, outside, etc). Do screen shots tag metadata into them like taken with the camera?
if I did would I just send them to sprint? They wouldn't care. I just wanna be done with terrible company. Anything I said they didn't care they wanted there 350$

----------

Just out of curiosity.. Where are you located? I have friends in San Diego who claim to get "great service" with Sprint. They have iPhones, only one of my friends have an iPhone 5 though. So I'm guessing Sprint is just good in major cities?

Philadelphia, P.A. 19134

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The fastest way to get Sprint's attention is to file a complaint with your Better Business Bureau. By all accounts they take this fairly seriously and you'll get a call from someone in a day or so after the complaint goes through.

You keep calling them, which is good, but you're dealing with the low level CSRs and their managers. You want Executive Services.

dan@sprint.com goes straight through to Retentions (Executive Services). If you email them someone will call you (I got a free Airave from them when I whined about my 4 year old HTC Touch Pro getting better signal on 3G than my iPhone 5). That's the second fastest way to get a hold of them.

If you file with the BBB, it's Executive Services that will call you. ES, is empowered to waive your ETF if they wish. They are also empowered to give you other incentives to stay (but I doubt they have any you'd take). The regular CSRs have zero authority to do any of that stuff, with the exception of granting you a pittance in credits to your account (which usually never appear).

In any case, HTH and good luck.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
if I did would I just send them to sprint? They wouldn't care. I just wanna be done with terrible company. Anything I said they didn't care they wanted there 350$

----------

Philadelphia, P.A. 19134

Oh wow. Have you gave them the "I'm moving to AT&T/Verizon line"? That usually helps or tell them that you're going to the BBB. The second line usually works for Verizon. I'm not sure if that'll work with Sprint though. Also, there's an app called CarrierComp that shows you which service providers are better in your area.

Ex:
7asazunu.jpg

----------

Oh wow. Have you gave them the "I'm moving to AT&T/Verizon line"? That usually helps or tell them that you're going to the BBB. The second line usually works for Verizon. I'm not sure if that'll work with Sprint though. Also, there's an app called CarrierComp that shows you which service providers are better in your area.

Ex:Image

As you can tell Sprint or T-Mobile aren't even in the top 3... And Verizon is listed twice for some odd reason. BUT it goes to show you that Sprint is horrible!

Thatguy120191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
The fastest way to get Sprint's attention is to file a complaint with your Better Business Bureau. By all accounts they take this fairly seriously and you'll get a call from someone in a day or so after the complaint goes through.

You keep calling them, which is good, but you're dealing with the low level CSRs and their managers. You want Executive Services.

dan@sprint.com goes straight through to Retentions (Executive Services). If you email them someone will call you (I got a free Airave from them when I whined about my 4 year old HTC Touch Pro getting better signal on 3G than my iPhone 5). That's the second fastest way to get a hold of them.

If you file with the BBB, it's Executive Services that will call you. ES, is empowered to waive your ETF if they wish. They are also empowered to give you other incentives to stay (but I doubt they have any you'd take). The regular CSRs have zero authority to do any of that stuff, with the exception of granting you a pittance in credits to your account (which usually never appear).

In any case, HTH and good luck.

When I email this guy Dan what do you think I should say?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When I email this guy Dan what do you think I should say?
Just tell them what your experience has been with times and dates as close as you can estimate. Explain that you aren't happy with the service you're getting and that you are thinking of leaving because you don't feel you are getting what you paid for. Give them examples of your problems, how long you've been with Sprint, etc, the problems with the phone, et al.

Just keep in mind, it's actually not a person. Just a main address to the Executive Services department. The reps who work that department take charge of the particular emails they are assigned. Once someone calls you the problem stays with that rep until "resolved."

When I emailed them I wasn't planning on leaving (still not) so I was at a disadvantage because I couldn't hold that over them. But I did intend to get something out of them for this and the rep ran with my suggestion of a free Airave.

Note that this is one of the few times Sprint lying to me worked to my advantage. The rep told me it would be a $36 activation fee for the Airave and $20/month. Turns out there was no activation fee and Sprint is not charging me anything for the Airave a month. However, the rep didn't follow up and I never received a reply email from him. Just as well I guess.

I can't guarantee you'll get anywhere. Some people's experience with Retentions has been even worse than the CSRs. But these are the only real people with any authority to wave ETF so it may be worth a shot. They'll probably want you to do tests or something, but who knows.

One thing they absolutely will not wave is the additional $10/month premium data charge.

Thatguy120191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
This is with full 3G which usually doesn't really happen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 86

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't always get 2+Mbps but on average I get around 1.4Mbps which is certainly tolerable, I do notice the speeds and signal getting better here (19128) so they are probably almost complete with the Network Vision in the area, nearest tower is about 3.5 miles away so I expect LTE to be awesome when they turn it on and hopefully a more sustained download speed on 3G.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
I couldn't agree more, sprint has been so disappointing. On a good day I'll have a 3G connection but 80% of the time I have the extended service or a "o" next to the sprint name.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Sprint is pretty horrible even in the major cities. In my opinion the absolute worst network to use an iPhone on. I would even rather use Tmobile edge or their spotty 3G iPhone coverage over sprint.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Where I live, Sprint is beyond horrible. I'd love to have unlimited data, but the service was so bad I buyer remorsed after 2 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.