Can you swipe more than the weather.
Any pic's?
alldrmgrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:49 AM   #377
Larrywb
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnetic View Post
The dictation feature is my favorite new feature. It works really, really well. You can say various punctuation symbols to insert those (e.g., comma, period, colon), but I had a tough time figuring out how to insert a line break. I did some searching and I think I came across a manual for Dragon Dictation which uses Nuance and I believe that Nuance is what's used by the iOS dictation. Sure enough, the commands they use worked for iOS. So to insert a line break, you say "New Line" and to insert two line breaks, you say "New Paragraph".

or you can say "next line" I also say "hyphen" and it works.

example:

Jim"hypen" "next line"
I'm running late, be there in a few minutes "period" "next line"
"hyphen"Larry

* I like how you can send an actual legit email through dictation!
Larrywb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 02:15 AM   #378
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb View Post
or you can say "next line" I also say "hyphen" and it works.

example:

Jim"hypen" "next line"
I'm running late, be there in a few minutes "period" "next line"
"hyphen"Larry

* I like how you can send an actual legit email through dictation!
Oddly enough the spam bump above me reminded me to ask a question.

Is there a way to dictate individual letters like. I can't remember the instance that I was trying to use it the other day, but for example trying to dictate model number or something like "C87NF54". Is it possible to have the dictation not write "see 8 7 in eff 5 4". I'm not sure if that's how it would actually type. I just remember driving the other day trying to text someone using dictation and I was stumped on how to get it do something like this so I just waited till I hit a stop light eventually.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:20 PM   #379
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnetic View Post
The dictation feature is my favorite new feature. It works really, really well. You can say various punctuation symbols to insert those (e.g., comma, period, colon), but I had a tough time figuring out how to insert a line break. I did some searching and I think I came across a manual for Dragon Dictation which uses Nuance and I believe that Nuance is what's used by the iOS dictation. Sure enough, the commands they use worked for iOS. So to insert a line break, you say "New Line" and to insert two line breaks, you say "New Paragraph".
I like the fact that there's dictation, but I can see two ways to improve it and Siri:

1) I shouldn't have to tell it to put in punctuation. It should be able to know where to put it in.
2) My speech is imperfect. The iPhone/iPad should detect any imperfections in my speech and figure out what I want the device to write.

Example: Currently, if I say "I'd like to go to NYC, but..uh...travel there is...just...just too cheap-I mean, expensive," my phone will write "I'd like to go to NYC but uh travel there is just just too cheap I mean expensive," when it should write "I'd like to go to NYC, but travel there is just too expensive."
Old May 31, 2012, 08:02 PM   #380
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
I like the fact that there's dictation, but I can see two ways to improve it and Siri:

1) I shouldn't have to tell it to put in punctuation. It should be able to know where to put it in.
2) My speech is imperfect. The iPhone/iPad should detect any imperfections in my speech and figure out what I want the device to write.

Example: Currently, if I say "I'd like to go to NYC, but..uh...travel there is...just...just too cheap-I mean, expensive," my phone will write "I'd like to go to NYC but uh travel there is just just too cheap I mean expensive," when it should write "I'd like to go to NYC, but travel there is just too expensive."
So you want them to add interpretation. I'd love that too but there just isn't the algorithms yet. Nuance is the best out there currently.
QuarterSwede is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 05:56 PM   #381
Blackforge
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Oddly enough the spam bump above me reminded me to ask a question.

Is there a way to dictate individual letters like. I can't remember the instance that I was trying to use it the other day, but for example trying to dictate model number or something like "C87NF54". Is it possible to have the dictation not write "see 8 7 in eff 5 4". I'm not sure if that's how it would actually type. I just remember driving the other day trying to text someone using dictation and I was stumped on how to get it do something like this so I just waited till I hit a stop light eventually.
Say the word "letter" in front of the letter you want to be placed into the message. So for example: "letter C 8 7 letter N letter F 5 4"
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:07 PM   #382
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackforge View Post
Say the word "letter" in front of the letter you want to be placed into the message. So for example: "letter C 8 7 letter N letter F 5 4"
never thought of that. figured it would try and type everything I said. Thank you!!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:47 AM   #383
fiveainone
macrumors 6502

nevermind
fiveainone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:53 AM   #384
luk492
macrumors newbie

thanks guys for this!
luk492 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:08 PM   #385
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Swipe, swipe, swipe

Not sure weather this has even been metioned, but you don't have to go back to Home screen, or pull up the Recent app list, just to switch between multiple running apps,

Just four finger swipe left/right

Works just like in Mountain Lion

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

Last edited by Tech198; Sep 14, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #386
A1ik
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 dances when receives calls:

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Oct 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Added YouTube tags
A1ik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:27 PM   #387
RylanH16
macrumors member

Talking Cropping error

Sometimes when I'm in the photo app and tap the crop button the screen goes white and my iPod restarts. It really pissed me off the first time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1ik View Post
iPhone 5 dances when receives calls:

YouTube: video
lol how doesnt it fall over
RylanH16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:21 AM   #388
MarbleMedal2084
macrumors newbie

On any sort of iPhone. You can push the lock screen button and the home button at the same time to take a picture of ur screen. Something I didn't know until 3 months after I got the phone.
MarbleMedal2084 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:42 AM   #389
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaojie123 View Post
Pandora recently updated their app to take advantage of lock screen album art. I haven't seen any other 3rd party apps do this yet so I presume it's an iOS 5 feature.

I also wonder if this now streams Pandora album art to Apple TV.
Spotify did it here in the UK a while back, prob a year and half.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:03 PM   #390
Abutterflygirl
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoltVideo View Post
I found that if you attempt to use the red-eye removal tool, and it doesn't detect red eye... you are stuck. There is no back, or cancel button to get you back to the camera roll.

...but that's not really a feature...
All you have to do is tap on the black mark and it goes away. You don't need the back button for this feature. It's kinda like a marker and an eraser.
Abutterflygirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:21 PM   #391
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljohnson1 View Post
yes, we would like to know some undocumented features
And you had a burning need to snark at a post from Oct 2011?
Old May 23, 2014, 06:09 AM   #392
sarahzohar88
macrumors newbie

Emoji keyboard is now available through the database, no need for a separate application.
sarahzohar88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 09:05 AM   #393
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahzohar88 View Post
Emoji keyboard is now available through the database, no need for a separate application.
Don't think that's the case in iOS 5.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 01:42 AM   #394
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Don't think that's the case in iOS 5.
I was definitely able to use the emoji keyboard on my first gen iPad (which only runs up to iOS 5)

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier