Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
I'd like to purchase a tablet. I have a Note 2 so I'd like something in the 8"+ range. I've been looking at the Note 10.1, the asus transformer tf201, and the nexus 10. But I'm open to any suggestions.

It'll be used for media consumption (Netflix, Google music, etc), check email, pull up my class roll to take attendance, email, PowerPoint stuff and word document stuff, work on class assignments for my graduate degree.

The chromebook looks like it would fit the bill for this but I'd also like to play games I've purchased from the play store and this why i want a tablet.

Thanks in advance

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
The Note 10.1 will give you the closest experience to your Note 2 (similar performance, S Pen, TouchWiz, etc.), but if that doesn't matter to you, I would probably say Nexus 10 (although it does have latency issues due to the high resolution).

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I really want a 7.9" Galaxy Note. Have a Note 2 right now, but really want something bigger. Note 10.1" seems to big.

Maybe a Windows RT tablet?

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
I would get the Nexus 10 or Note 10.1for scientific use and avoid 7 inch tablets which are not big enough for serious use and are not that much better than a 5+ inch 1080p phone.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I have a Note 2. Get an iPad 3 from an apple store. More than likely it will have iOS 5.1.1 which can be jailbroken. Get the best of both worlds.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like the nexus 7 as its smaller then the Galaxy 10 which means its more holdable and mobile. I also like for iOS the Mini but you'll be paying a premium for that. I have no regrets over the purchasing the mini, but I think I'll be taking the plunge on the N7 once I get some Amex gift cards (trading in my amex points for gift cards).

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I have a Note 2. Get an iPad 3 from an apple store. More than likely it will have iOS 5.1.1 which can be jailbroken. Get the best of both worlds.
I don't think Apple sales the 3rd gen iPad anymore. Their site only lists the mini, iPad 2, and iPad (4) with Retina Display.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I really want a 7.9" Galaxy Note. Have a Note 2 right now, but really want something bigger. Note 10.1" seems to big.

Maybe a Windows RT tablet?
I don't think Windows RT tablets are made in that size range (7-8"), I think they're all around the 9-10"+ mark. I could be wrong though.
The platform is pretty much dead in the water.
There's around 40,000 Windows 8 apps now, it'll pick up steam. It's definitely not dead yet.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Honestly I still really love my iPad. There aren't nearly enough apps to get me to look at Android in the tablet space just yet.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
I appreciate all the replies.

My bought my son a Nexus 7 and use it fairly often. So while I do like the Nexus 7, the tablet I'm wanting to buy will essentially be used in place of my laptop. I have a work issued Dell that weighs about 900 pounds. When they remodeled the school, they jacked up the net connectivity somehow so in the room I teach, I can't connect to wifi. I realize the Nexus 10 is a wifi only device, which is okay since I can get a wifi hotspot plan.

The hesitation I have towards an iPad is that I use Google Music frequently, the games I like that I bought off the Play Store won't be available to me, and I'm not sure how well google calendar integrates with the iPad.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

My bought my son a Nexus 7 and use it fairly often. So while I do like the Nexus 7, the tablet I'm wanting to buy will essentially be used in place of my laptop. I have a work issued Dell that weighs about 900 pounds. When they remodeled the school, they jacked up the net connectivity somehow so in the room I teach, I can't connect to wifi. I realize the Nexus 10 is a wifi only device, which is okay since I can get a wifi hotspot plan.

The hesitation I have towards an iPad is that I use Google Music frequently, the games I like that I bought off the Play Store won't be available to me, and I'm not sure how well google calendar integrates with the iPad.

I would recommend a Nexus 10, but they have yet to optimize Chrome for that high of a resolution yet. It scrolls smoothly on Mobile sites but full websites it is laggy to scroll. On my Nexus 10 I use Dolphin and it is much smoother. Until they get that hammered down I cannot in good faith tell someone to buy a Nexus 10 unless that is not a thing that would bother someone. It was honestly a big deal and would make me pass but since my GF doesn't seem to mind and Google seems to be aware as the latest Chrome build improves it by a margin.

Last edited:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Google music runs great on iPad, as for a calendar I use CalenGoo which syncs very well with my Google Calander and is excellent, Im not a gamer so can't really comment on the games. :)

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Aside from the Google Play games, it sounds like you want a Surface or at least should look into it. Maybe Im just not a fan of Android anymore, but I would not be getting an Android tablet over Surface or iPad if those fit your needs.

Does Office, Google Music (gMusic), Netflix, and a nice IE experience which also runs Flash well if you want.

Lastly you could get a Windows 8/RT tablet with an active digitizer and do handwriting stuff if that works for you.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
don't even bother thinking about buying it if it isn't Apple

Are you lost?

do8In.png

:p

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I don't think Windows RT tablets are made in that size range (7-8"), I think they're all around the 9-10"+ mark. I could be wrong though.

It was 2 separate comments.

One comment was about the Galaxy Note.

The 2nd and separate comment was about the recommendation for a tablet. For his needs, I'm thinking a Windows RT tablet would be a best fit. All the Windows RT tablets I've seen are around 10" and larger.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If its replacing your laptop, you should probably look into getting a surface pro when it comes out. It's a bit more expensive but you'll still have all of your laptop capabilities since its running a full version of windows.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
If you want a laptop replacement and a touch screen tablet; I recommend the Lenovo Yoga 13. I purchased one a month ago, and since then have not used my iPad 3, laptop, and PC. I added a 128GB SD card and copied my camera images (~ 25,000 pics) and music library (~ 1,400 songs) and installed all my Microsoft programs. I purchased a number of my favorite touch screen apps and am really enjoying playing games and watching movies on a large (relative) screen. Best technology purchase I made in my life.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you want a laptop replacement and a touch screen tablet; I recommend the Lenovo Yoga 13. I purchased one a month ago, and since then have not used my iPad 3, laptop, and PC. I added a 128GB SD card and copied my camera images (~ 25,000 pics) and music library (~ 1,400 songs) and installed all my Microsoft programs. I purchased a number of my favorite touch screen apps and am really enjoying playing games and watching movies on a large (relative) screen. Best technology purchase I made in my life.

For pretty close to the same price you can get this...much better screen.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...231&skuId=6906246&st=asus ultrabook&cp=1&lp=1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.