Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello :)
I'm really happy to be part of this forum and i hope i'll find help.
Anyway i own a Mid 2010 Mac Pro with 2 Intel Xeons 2.4 GHz, 28 Gb 1066 MHz, 2 Ati HD 5770s and several SSDs.

The 2 HD 5770 are not enough for my computer (I mainly work with the 2D and 3D motion graphics) and when i use After Effects or 3D Applications, such as Cinema 4D, i have some speed issues.

I'd like so replace those 2 graphics cards with a more powerfull Nvidia that makes good use of Cuda tecnology.

I was oriented on a GTX 570 model (Or a GTX 560), but i don't know which one to choose.
Could you suggest me a couple of models which fullfill these standards, pelase? (Thank you very much):

- Compatible with mac pro and Mac OSX Lion 10.7
- Has To Work Fine (Even if not officially supported by apple)
- Make a decent use of cuda tecnology
- It doesn't have to overload the Mac Pro's (Mid 2012 8 cores) power supply (They told me the 570/560 don't weight too much on the power supply and i wouldn't have enough money to buy a separate power supply for the VGA only)
- It's drivers for mac should be easy to find/install

Thank you a lot for your assistance and i'm sure you'll be able to help me :)
Have a nice day/evening (Depending on which part of the world you live in)

Last edited:

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
For CUDA there is no question but that the GTX570 is the best performance card. It's actually the last generation model so not so easy to find a new one but there are plenty of used ones at good prices. I upgraded from a GTX285 to a GTX570 & it has made editing in Premier Pro so much smoother. CUDA performance is 2X that of the GTX285 while OpenCL is 3X better. I bought mine from eBay for £120 (about $200).

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
For CUDA there is no question but that the GTX570 is the best performance card. It's actually the last generation model so not so easy to find a new one but there are plenty of used ones at good prices. I upgraded from a GTX285 to a GTX570 & it has made editing in Premier Pro so much smoother. CUDA performance is 2X that of the GTX285 while OpenCL is 3X better. I bought mine from eBay for £120 (about $200).

Hi, if you are serious about your work then you need to look at the nvidia quadro line of card's. So either the quadro 2000 in sli or quadro 4000. It puts gaming cards to shame with their efficient drivers and rock solid stability there is no other choice for the professional. For me one quadro 2000 was overkill. They also have specific additional drivers for your apps!

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
SLI is a Windows thing so not applicable to OS X. For CUDA the Quadra 4000 is slower than the GTX570 (& many times the price) while the Quadra 2000 is much slower. The GTX570 uses the same driver as the Quadra cards.

I just re-read the OP where it specifies OS X 10.7 (Lion). If you want to install a regular PC card like the GTX570 then you really want to upgrade to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) & use the Nvidia drivers

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
There are some current issues with VM's crashing, and a bug with Chrome and video in my NV 680 w/NV driver. I'm not sure if this carries over to their officially supported cards or not.

There were some complaining about the VM software crashing when 3d acceleration was on and I was finally able to replicate this when I was doing totally-non 3D work in a VM. I was running a Java script that I use when ripping Blu-ray disks and I crashed. Turning 3D acceleration off in the VM works fine now.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Hi, if you are serious about your work then you need to look at the nvidia quadro line of card's. So either the quadro 2000 in sli or quadro 4000. It puts gaming cards to shame with their efficient drivers and rock solid stability there is no other choice for the professional. For me one quadro 2000 was overkill. They also have specific additional drivers for your apps!

A single 570 will put the Quadro 4000 to shame in most tasks. The drivers are a misleading sales pitch that still can't overcome the underwhelming power. Look at the tests. Usually you see it up against the 5770 or something. Sorry people need to pay so much though. A Quadro 5000/6000 is another story entirely as it is actually relatively current. 90% of the time go with the 570 unless you have VERY specific needs for acceleration.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
A single 570 will put the Quadro 4000 to shame in most tasks. The drivers are a misleading sales pitch that still can't overcome the underwhelming power. Look at the tests. Usually you see it up against the 5770 or something. Sorry people need to pay so much though. A Quadro 5000/6000 is another story entirely as it is actually relatively current. 90% of the time go with the 570 unless you have VERY specific needs for acceleration.

I like the quadro cards but they cost so much, althought the performance in 3Dsmax and AutoCAD is good 3D performance in google earth is poor. I could put it in max settings and 2000 would struggle to render the earth and judder. One of the main reason to go for them is mission critical apps and long sustained work sessions. A gaming card in these situations is good but unreliable. So it is going to be down to budget.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
If you want to install a regular PC card like the GTX570 then you really want to upgrade to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) & use the Nvidia drivers

On a side not, if anyone is on Lion they should upgrade to 10.8. No reason to stay on 10.7 except for 3rd party SW that may not have tweaked for Orwellian App Control. 10.6 and 10.8 for me at this point. 10.7 is a dookie half child with all the unfixed leftovers.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
On a side not, if anyone is on Lion they should upgrade to 10.8. No reason to stay on 10.7 except for 3rd party SW that may not have tweaked for Orwellian App Control. 10.6 and 10.8 for me at this point. 10.7 is a dookie half child with all the unfixed leftovers.

I completely agree. I skipped Lion. It is indeed dookie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.