Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleofmy"i"

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Hi guys,
Around black friday (November 25th) I found a 4th generation iPod Touch in a local parking lot. It is locked with a passcode. I contacted Apple and they sent an email out to the original owner but also informed me that they didn't complete their registration of the iPod. Ive searched Craigslist and local posts to find the owner but no luck :( . I would really like to get this back to its owner but this is where I need your help. How can I get into the iPod to find the owners info?

Thanks

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
If they're not responding, that's more their problem than your's. And, since it has been 3 months, I doubt they're bothering to look any more. If you're really that concerned about it, post flyers around town with a picture of the touch with the screen saver showing to give more information. If you haven't reset it yet, whoever gets the passcode right gets it.

It's possible that they're not using that email anymore.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
you have done everything ethically right to attempt to return to the ipod.

It has been enough time. Keep it or sell it.

If you don't want to keep the money off of selling a lost item, donate the sales to charity.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry, but there's quite a high chance that the owner has moved on and is not seeking their iPod anymore... :( Not your fault though. You did what you could to reunite it with it's rightful owner, while others may have kept it for themselves :)

appleofmy"i"

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
I just feel bad because judging by the wallpaper it was some younger kids iPod. I was hoping someone knew a way to bypass the lock code or at least see the files on the iPod to get an owners name. Its an iPod Touch on 4.3.3 by the way.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
appleofmy"i";14301845 said:
I just feel bad because judging by the wallpaper it was some younger kids iPod. I was hoping someone knew a way to bypass the lock code or at least see the files on the iPod to get an owners name. Its an iPod Touch on 4.3.3 by the way.
I'm pretty sure the only way to get past the lock is to do a full restore, which would then erase all the files/apps and whatnot.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
appleofmy"i";14301845 said:

Aww... :( I'm afraid there is no way to get past without erasing everything on it.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
If the owner his moved on I would erase and do a clean restore so it doesn't have the owner info and then sell it or give it to charity good luck

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I'll take it off your hands if you don't mind. You can go to the police station and after a certain amount of time if the owner never claims it, it's yours. I found $50 at work and notified a supervisor..30 days after no one claimed it, the $50 was mine.

jamewhite86

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Found lost iPod Touch

Go to Settings on your iPod touch, tap iCloud, and enable Find My iPod touch.1 Then if you misplace it, you can sign in to icloud.com from any web browser on a Mac or PC. Or borrow your friend’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and use the Find My iPhone app.Thanks for sharing the information.

Last edited:

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Go to Settings on your iPod touch, tap iCloud, and enable Find My iPod touch.1 Then if you misplace it, you can sign in to icloud.com from any web browser on a Mac or PC. Or borrow your friend’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and use the Find My iPhone app.Thanks for sharing the information.

WTF is this helping? He found someone elses iPod, it's password locked. All he can do is restore it and claim it as his, or restore it and donate it.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Is it possible to get iTunes to take a backup of a locked iPod Touch?

The backup could then be opened up with something like iPhone Backup Extractor to see if there are any clues as to who it belongs to.

Alternatively, is it possible to browse through any photos that might be on the iPod using iExplorer? The photos might have a geotag on them so you could potentially find out roughly where the owner lives.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Still a cool thread to raise from the dead. Kudos to the OP for being a good person and doing the right thing. I bet the kid (if they DID find it) would have been very happy, and at least he tried.

And the poor guy that bumped the thread is just bumming on losing his beloved touch. It's alright, being sad makes you do things you otherwise wouldn't.

It's nice to be reminded there are still some people out there with a good heart even if it's because of a zombie thread!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.