Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:03 AM   #1
prvt.donut
macrumors 6502

Powermac G5 extra HHD install

I have been thinking that 2 hard disks aren't enough in a decent desktop.

I currently have a 240GB SSD and. 1TB drive for non essential data and Time Machine duty on the system drive.

I would like to mount 1 or 2 more drives and was thinking of bolting them to the top of the PCI slot area. Maybe by modifying a drive bracket and then using a PCIe SATA card to connect them.

I have never seen anyone mount like that, I hate the idea of mounting over the RAM area and running the cables to it there.

Anyone done anything like that??
prvt.donut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:06 AM   #2
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by prvt.donut View Post
I have been thinking that 2 hard disks aren't enough in a decent desktop.

I currently have a 240GB SSD and. 1TB drive for non essential data and Time Machine duty on the system drive.

I would like to mount 1 or 2 more drives and was thinking of bolting them to the top of the PCI slot area. Maybe by modifying a drive bracket and then using a PCIe SATA card to connect them.

I have never seen anyone mount like that, I hate the idea of mounting over the RAM area and running the cables to it there.

Anyone done anything like that??
Why not just get an external drive?
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:07 AM   #3
prvt.donut
macrumors 6502

Because there is loads of space inside and I hate running extra cables around my apartment when it could be inside.
prvt.donut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:34 AM   #4
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

You could just get a 2.5" drive, which would be bus powered by USB or however you attach it.

I wouldn't try what you mention unless you can add some kind of vibration dampening material to the mounting scheme, maybe a bit of foam cushion?
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs