Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I have a rMBP with a samsung screen. It is pretty much perfect. However, in the last few days i have become very aware that the screen has somewhat warmer colors on the bottom half of the panel.

I can get it changed free of charge from Apple, but no gurantee on wether or not i get a new Samsung screen or if i get a screen from LG.
I really dont want to wind up with a screen from LG, and the difference in the temperature of the colors are not that big, but I am very picky about stuff like this. Any thoughts?

Now to my main question: If i go through with the service, is there anyway i will notice it somehow? Like looseness and gaps or anything? Lile i said, i'm borderland OCD about stuff like that. :p

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
i guess most of the display assembly replacements are Samsung. or you'd have armies of people coming back to complain after they get the replacement.

I just got my LG IR display replaced with a new Samsung display. Fast turnaround (computer was in on Monday, repair completed yesterday and picked it up today). quadruple checked everything. small scratch on the new display assembly, but i'm not going to lose sleep over it. in fact, they even replaced my Airport/Bluetooth card...not really sure why that is. but it's on my repair receipt.

The display does seem a bit warmer than the LG, but better than IR. I'm satisfied overall.

This was at the Apple Store at Grand Central Station in NYC. obviously, being a flagship store, turnaround maybe faster than a local Apple Store. experience will vary i guess

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
A warmer general tone doesn't bother me, it's actually more realistic to me that way. It's the uniformity issue that bothers me.

Service would take a few days for me here in Norway, but not to big a deal for me.

I talked to the service guys today, and they told me they had no power over wether or not i got a new Sammy screen or not, but i'm gonna be a bit of a pain to them and make them order a screen that is guranteed to be Samsung. :p

Here in Norway this machine cost me over 4000 dollars, i think i deserve a perfect screen.

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I'm gonna bump this to get some more input on wether or not your machines came back in a "good-as-new" state after service or if you could notcie it had been opened.

I have to little trust in these so-called experts. lol.. I'd love to do it myself, but I want to keep my warranty.

Also, I'm not sure if this difference in temperature is anything you can get away with when it comes to the Samsung screen, as I found quite a few topics on it when searching. Maybe a lot of people don't notice it, or maybe there's many degrees of it.
I find it hard to think that a Samsung screens have this to the same degree i do, as Samsung usually makes some of the best panels out there. At least in the pro-sumer segment.

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
You answered your own question right here.

Not really, it's big enough that it makes colour adjustments in photos a hassle (after calibration the screen does a decent job in colour reproduction). I have keen eyes when it comes to stuff like this, and it is an issue you shouldn't have with a premium product.

The fact that i may end up with a screen that is a lot more prone to issues does not make this screen any better, so no, i didn't really answer my own question.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Not really, it's big enough that it makes colour adjustments in photos a hassle (after calibration the screen does a decent job in colour reproduction). I have keen eyes when it comes to stuff like this, and it is an issue you shouldn't have with a premium product.

The fact that i may end up with a screen that is a lot more prone to issues does not make this screen any better, so no, i didn't really answer my own question.

If you're paralyzed by the thought of having an 'inferior' screen, then you won't be able to have it serviced.

If you can live with the color shift, which you more or less said that you can, then you have no reason to take it into Apple.

If you were a professional photographer, then obviously you need to get a screen with as few flaws as possible. If it were a business decision you would just take it in (and keep taking it in) until you got one that worked as advertised. But somehow I doubt that is the case.

What is more likely is that you're here to whine about 'paying more for a premium product' and not getting exactly what you want.

Surely you must know that no one here can tell you whether you're going to get a Samsung or an LG panel. Hell, the Apple tech won't even be able to tell you that. You'll know when you get it back, not a second before.

The bottom line is this. If it is broke, take it in and ask them to fix it. If you get it back and it is still broke, take it back in. If it isn't broke, quit wasting (y)our time. Premium product or not, every product has variances. If you cannot tolerate them, take it back and move onto a product with different compromises.

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
If you're paralyzed by the thought of having an 'inferior' screen, then you won't be able to have it serviced.

I do not understand what you are trying to say or get through with this sentence.

If you can live with the color shift, which you more or less said that you can, then you have no reason to take it into Apple.

Of course I can live with it. It's jus a screen on a laptop. But for my photo editing (among many other things) it's a good screen. Even the colours are somewhat decent when calibrated. I always do my last changes to colour on a pretty good Eizo screens anyways, but uniformity issues are still and issue, and is actually a reason for me to take it to Apple. If issues that can be solved thorugh use of warranty is no reason to take it to Apple, then i must ask you; what is?

If you were a professional photographer, then obviously you need to get a screen with as few flaws as possible. If it were a business decision you would just take it in (and keep taking it in) until you got one that worked as advertised. But somehow I doubt that is the case.

I will keep taking it in till I get one that is as good as i can get it, as any sane person would with their products. It's their right as a customer. Like i said, i don't earn my money from photos, but it's still a big hobby for me. If i want a screen thats damn near perfect, I see no reason i shouldn't get it.

What is more likely is that you're here to whine about 'paying more for a premium product' and not getting exactly what you want.

Is it not a premium product? Where do I whine? I simply replied to your ridiculously unhelpful post. I made this topic to ask for people's opinions, nowhere did i whine. When you get food that is subpar at a restaurant, do you just sit there and eat it, hoping it will get better next time you visit the restaurant? This forum is for discussing the product at hand, which I did in a perfectly decent manner without "whining" or anything in that nature.

Surely you must know that no one here can tell you whether you're going to get a Samsung or an LG panel. Hell, the Apple tech won't even be able to tell you that. You'll know when you get it back, not a second before.

Surely you must have been able to read that i nowhere asked anyone here what screen i was going to get? And the guys at Apple can tell me. I actually got an mail earlier today that the Service department of Eplehuset (the store that will do my service) are trying to make sure i get a Samsung screen. Surely you must know that a little perseverance can get you a long way.

The bottom line is this. If it is broke, take it in and ask them to fix it. If you get it back and it is still broke, take it back in. If it isn't broke, quit wasting (y)our time. Premium product or not, every product has variances. If you cannot tolerate them, take it back and move onto a product with different compromises.

This is about as little helpful a post can get. Am I missing something here? Isn't forums for this exact sort of discussions? Yes, yes they are. Am i wasting your precious time by making you click a link on a forum? If your time is so precious, i would suggest not being on a forum whatsoever. Yes, every product has variances, but usually when i get something fixed through warranty, i can do it with the knowledge i will not get back a product with parts that are more likely to cause me more products in the future.

Now, i am sorry about such a long, passive aggressive post :p, but this other guy really got me going.

All i asked was for people opinions and experiences. And if anyone has any relevant and constructive to add to the topic, i would love to hear it. :D

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State

You need to learn to quote.

Any thoughts?

Keep in mind you said this.

This is about as little helpful a post can get.

Were you hoping someone would be 'big helpful?'

And the guys at Apple can tell me. I actually got an mail earlier today that the Service department of Eplehuset (the store that will do my service) are trying to make sure i get a Samsung screen. Surely you must know that a little perseverance can get you a long way.

The store/technician cannot order a display clamshell with a Samsung panel. They all have the same part number. They get what they get, as do you.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.