Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterLas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a Verizon iPhone 5 to use on AT&T. I want to make sure the seller (craigslist) won't report the phone as lost/stolen to Verizon somehow after I buy the phone. From what I am reading:

1. It would still be GSM unlocked (would work fine for me)
2. It's ESN would be blocked from Verzion (maybe them only?).

I am only concerned because I don't want to hose the resale value of the phone if/when I decide to sell it in the future.

Is there a way I can protect myself from this happening? TIA

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a Verizon iPhone 5 to use on AT&T. I want to make sure the seller (craigslist) won't report the phone as lost/stolen to Verizon somehow after I buy the phone. From what I am reading:

1. It would still be GSM unlocked (would work fine for me)
2. It's ESN would be blocked from Verzion (maybe them only?).

I am only concerned because I don't want to hose the resale value of the phone if/when I decide to sell it in the future.

Is there a way I can protect myself from this happening? TIA

AFAIK verizion ip5 are factory unlocked so yes u can use it for ATT

now when it comes to ESN block, i don't think u will need that because you're using ICCID anyways (SIM CARD) for ATT. i think...

MisterLas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
AFAIK verizion ip5 are factory unlocked so yes u can use it for ATT

now when it comes to ESN block, i don't think u will need that because you're using ICCID anyways (SIM CARD) for ATT. i think...

Yes, I understand that... But I want to make sure it DOESNT get blocked from Verizon as well... I might want to switch to them in the future, who knows... It would also reduce the resale value of the phone if the CDMA side was blocked.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
As far as I know, the LTE won't work. And even then, I thought Verizon's iPhones, after being unlocked, don't work for AT&T, but every other carrier?

Why not just buy an AT&T iPhone?

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Meet in a Verizon store.... That way they can verify it isn't stolen then have them take it off their account (if they haven't already) after that they can't report it if its not on their account.

----------

Using an Verizon iphone in att will allow you to not pay for data or let you run the $10 dumbphone data

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
As far as I know, the LTE won't work. And even then, I thought Verizon's iPhones, after being unlocked, don't work for AT&T, but every other carrier?

if its unlocked... then it is what it is, unlocked to use to other GSM carriers.

MisterLas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013

Sorry, meant to add that I know the LTE wont work either... I live in WV, we won't see that for another 30 years anyways. I am under contract with ATT and no upgrade for awhile. People are selling their Verizon iPhone 5s, but nobody on ATT is here.

Meet in a Verizon store.... That way they can verify it isn't stolen then have them take it off their account (if they haven't already) after that they can't report it if its not on their account.

----------

Using an Verizon iphone in att will allow you to not pay for data or let you run the $10 dumbphone data

Nice. Thanks for the reply on that. Have you tried this? Waiting on Verizon to open to confirm they will do this for me (seeing that I am not a Verizon customer).

davidnyjets

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I'm pretty sure it can be used on AT&T's network. What I want to know is if you can use HSPA+ 4G and LTE. Anyone know for sure?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure it can be used on AT&T's network. What I want to know is if you can use HSPA+ 4G and LTE. Anyone know for sure?

i think it will only run 4G HSPA+ since verizon LTE is on a different frequency as ATT LTE, so NO... the only matching LTE (when it comes this year) is tmobile and ATT.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It will only run on 4G, not LTE, and it won't be locked or disabled on Verizon's network.

davidnyjets

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
New York
i think it will only run 4G HSPA+ since verizon LTE is on a different frequency as ATT LTE, so NO... the only matching LTE (when it comes this year) is tmobile and ATT.

So in terms of speed, it is basically equivalent to the 4S? (cellular of course, not processing, etc.)

Thanks.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
So in terms of speed, it is basically equivalent to the 4S? (cellular of course, not processing, etc.)

Thanks.

in paper, yes and no...
yes because they are both running 4G frequency but it also depends on your provider 4G speed in your area.

no because ip5 has a faster internal specs like processor and ram it will process slightly faster performance wise than iphone 4s

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
if its unlocked... then it is what it is, unlocked to use to other GSM carriers.

Actually, there are varying degrees of "unlocked." Verizon, from what I understand, "unlocks" their phones only for GSM carriers outside of North America. So, you can take your Verizon iPhone 5 to Europe and use it on a GSM carrier, but not on AT&T or T-Mobile US.

Sprint does the same thing. You can ask to unlock an iPhone on their network, but they will only unlock for international travel.

The OP needs to be very careful. I don't think he'll be able to do what he wants to do here, because that Verizon iPhone 5 might not work on AT&T like he expects it to.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Actually, there are varying degrees of "unlocked." Verizon, from what I understand, "unlocks" their phones only for GSM carriers outside of North America. So, you can take your Verizon iPhone 5 to Europe and use it on a GSM carrier, but not on AT&T or T-Mobile US.

Sprint does the same thing. You can ask to unlock an iPhone on their network, but they will only unlock for international travel.

The OP needs to be very careful. I don't think he'll be able to do what he wants to do here, because that Verizon iPhone 5 might not work on AT&T like he expects it to.

well if it's the verizon ip5 that was released here... those were verified that they work on Att/Tmobile. so yea they work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.