Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:03 AM   #26
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If you give someone else access to your Mac, you may have much more to worry about than just accessing some of your personal information. In that event, cleaning apps won't protect you from greater threats.
Like?
2012Tony2012 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:36 AM   #27
MrTemps
macrumors newbie

I think using one of these app like CCleaner is more voodoo than useful. On Macs you don't need such software.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:53 AM   #28
champ01

Using it weekly. Its a nice app and available in the App Store.

Don't let fanboys tell you that a Mac is indestructible. (nothing is. Period!)

Do watch out what it is you delete with does type of apps.

BTW resetting Safari is a joke. (it doesn't delete all cookies etc)
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:28 AM   #29
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ01 View Post
Using it weekly. Its a nice app and available in the App Store.

Don't let fanboys tell you that a Mac is indestructible. (nothing is. Period!)

Do watch out what it is you delete with does type of apps.

BTW resetting Safari is a joke. (it doesn't delete all cookies etc)
Can you record a video and show and prove that a safari reset does not delete all cookies?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:58 AM   #30
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Reason I would not trust this App at all.

Font Registry Cache

OS X doesn't have a registry!

See screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	8
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	391210  
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:34 AM   #31
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Rather than be dependent on "System Cleaners" for MacOSX.... I would much rather have ALL developers to just ship their Mac Apps with un-installers.

If the Mac App is a simple install, and it only installs a single App folder (the icon you actually see in the Applications Folder), then it does not need an un-installer. But other bloated applications (Abode, Microsoft, etc) also install a bunch of other invisible system files that are harder to locate or remove. THOSE developers should really be encouraged to provide an un-installer app. It's the right thing to do.

(P.S. this is already what many software developers do on the Windows side)
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:51 AM   #32
Tulani
macrumors 6502

If it was useless or harmful would apple have left it in the App Store?
Tulani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:59 AM   #33
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulani View Post
If it was useless or harmful would apple have left it in the App Store?
It may not be harmful, but it could still be useless, as there are many apps out there being useless too.

Anyway, use it if you want to.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:01 AM   #34
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Rather than be dependent on "System Cleaners" for MacOSX.... I would much rather have ALL developers to just ship their Mac Apps with un-installers.

If the Mac App is a simple install, and it only installs a single App folder (the icon you actually see in the Applications Folder), then it does not need an un-installer. But other bloated applications (Abode, Microsoft, etc) also install a bunch of other invisible system files that are harder to locate or remove. THOSE developers should really be encouraged to provide an un-installer app. It's the right thing to do.

(P.S. this is already what many software developers do on the Windows side)
Adobe is crap, I have to agree here, why can't they get an App to work with everything included in the App folder.
I can understand if Apps also have things installed in the Support folder but that's more or less it.
There are a few Apps out there which needs to startup at boot time, but there aren't that many.
Apple has guidelines for App developers, they should make it mandatory, especially for companies like Adobe.

I have to disagree with you on the windows side, even though they have un-installers this doesn't really does the job for the single reason that the registry is still messed up.
Example, install 100 Applications on windows, then uninstall, the system will be slower than before installing even though "everything" has gone, another reason it does not work is that many times DLL's won't get uninstalled since another Application needs it.
What many people don't know is that if you install an App on windows and then get all the installed items in one folder it WILL work and if you delete the folder everything is gone.(Except registry but run uninstaller first than delete folder)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:24 PM   #35
Critterbug
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Critterbug
cleaners, malware, and anti-virus programs

I once installed a very well known program for this usage on my macbook pro, 2009. Totally screwed things up! Stopped running well, couldn't uninstall everything it put in the system, etc...I reinstalled OSX, and back to normal.
I'll never--ever do that again!
But, to each their own. I wouldn't suggest one way or the other. To me it's like believing in 10 year old corn flakes.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:02 PM   #36
bobright
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
You don't need anything, this is not a PC which needs maintenance, just leave it as is, OS X runs fine without any maintenance Apps, besides this OS X also has built in scripts which run and do "maintenance".
How about a app for uninstalling programs without leaving (most of the) traces behind? I heard if you just do the drag and drop a app to the trash it leaves junk behind.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:26 PM   #37
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
How about a app for uninstalling programs without leaving (most of the) traces behind? I heard if you just do the drag and drop a app to the trash it leaves junk behind.
Overall there's not much left, most programs just leave inactive files behind, they just add a bit of lost space, that's it.
Some programs leave Launchdeamons and Lauchagents and the like, these are active but if the OS can't find the executables it will just skip them and looses a tiny amount of time in startup time, but that's just it.
There are programs which have uninstallers, most of them install more stuff and that's why an uninstaller is "needed".

I myself upgraded from 10.0 up until 10.5.8 and never had problems with leftovers but I have to admit that I know more than a regular User and know where apps install their stuff.
An easy way to do so is to have Pacifist and open the installer with that program, it shows all the files and where they get installed.
Most Apps are drag and drop though and can be easily removed by dragging them to the trash, only leaving one or two inactive files in the Preferences folder or your Library.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:42 PM   #38
bobright
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Overall there's not much left, most programs just leave inactive files behind, they just add a bit of lost space, that's it.
Some programs leave Launchdeamons and Lauchagents and the like, these are active but if the OS can't find the executables it will just skip them and looses a tiny amount of time in startup time, but that's just it.
There are programs which have uninstallers, most of them install more stuff and that's why an uninstaller is "needed".

I myself upgraded from 10.0 up until 10.5.8 and never had problems with leftovers but I have to admit that I know more than a regular User and know where apps install their stuff.
An easy way to do so is to have Pacifist and open the installer with that program, it shows all the files and where they get installed.
Most Apps are drag and drop though and can be easily removed by dragging them to the trash, only leaving one or two inactive files in the Preferences folder or your Library.
I sees it's mostly not needed, still would rather have all the space I can and not have any used on useless deleted stuff through the years. Is there any "Your Uninstaller" type of programs for Mac?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:55 PM   #39
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
I sees it's mostly not needed, still would rather have all the space I can and not have any used on useless deleted stuff through the years. Is there any "Your Uninstaller" type of programs for Mac?
If you really want one there are several, Appzapper is one for instance.

Me, no, I don't need nor use it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:12 AM   #40
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store