Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your Prometheus Rating

• 1/5- Aweful

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 2/5- Barely Tolerable

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • 3/5- OK

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • 4/5- Good

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • 5/5- Great

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Not Gonna See It.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was sooo freaking disappointed in this :(

I've been stalking this movie for a long time and was sure it would be awesome...

...then I saw it :(

Visual effects = Great. Of course, they're from Weta. The matte painters did a fantastic job.

Story...wtf???? Ok here's my gripes:

-Whats with the surgery scene? That whole part of the story felt tacked on and unnecessary.

-The old guy being Charlize Theron's father, yet another tacked on story element. The "twist" wasn't relevant enough to be a twist.

-Did Ridley Scott forget where the space jockey was in Alien? Because I remember him being behind a gun, and he was in this one until he got out and chased Noomi Rapace around. This meant he was no longer behind that gun when he died. I understand this was a "prequel that turned into a separate story" but still.

-Why was Michael Fassbender killing people? It felt more "out of spite" than any real reason. Yes I'm aware that Logan Marshall-Green said he'd do anything and everything to find the answers but still.

How bad is it that I don't remember the characters names but only the actors that played them?

I was so excited for this movie and have been stalking the CGSociety and ZBrush forums, scouring pieces of art made for this movie and was so excited to see it tonight and it was a huge let down :(

Oh well, its only a movie I suppose.

-Whats with the surgery scene? That whole part of the story felt tacked on and unnecessary.
Adequately explained by steviem. :) Elizabeth knew something very fishy was going on inside her. This was after the robot told her she did not want to see it. Seems like a smart move on her part. ;)

-The old guy being Charlize Theron's father, yet another tacked on story element. The "twist" wasn't relevant enough to be a twist.
Really no real impact on the story, at least not enough to be irritated about?

-Did Ridley Scott forget where the space jockey was in Alien? Because I remember him being behind a gun, and he was in this one until he got out and chased Noomi Rapace around. This meant he was no longer behind that gun when he died. I understand this was a "prequel that turned into a separate story" but still.

What makes you think this is the same Engineer or the same ship? This movie took place on a different planet (LV223 vs LV426) and... this ship had canisters of black goo vs eggs, and most importantly, this ship was crashed on the surface at the end, remember? And as evidenced by the very end of the movie there were at least several of these ships around and this Engineer was killed by a larger alien emerging from it's body, not one of the cute little ones that pop out of through the sternum. :):) So I conclude it's not the same ship 30 some years later that the crew of the Nostromo discover on LV426. Different ship, different Engineer with a popped chest. ;)

-Why was Michael Fassbender killing people? It felt more "out of spite" than any real reason. Yes I'm aware that Logan Marshall-Green said he'd do anything and everything to find the answers but still.

The easiest answer is the best. This robot was programmed with a hidden agenda that allowed it to use crew members as guinea pigs when it discovered something that met its parameters to be investigated. If you remember, his boss told him to "try harder".

Could Ridley Scott be finished as an "A List" Director?

I'm a bit worried about Scott's dry spell for having truly a hit movie. In descending order IMDB rankings:

Prometheus : 7.7
Robin Hood : 6.7
Body of Lies : 7.1
American Gangster : 7.8
A Good Year : 6.8
Kingdom of Heaven : 7.1
Matchstick Men : 7.3
Black Hawk Down : 7.7
Hannibal : 6.5

He's all most equal to where he was 3 movies prior, and equal to where he was 7 movies ago. Overall seems rather steady. :)

Last edited:

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
This movie was straight up retarded, from the premise to the "scientists" in it. A movie made by too much money and not enough brains, about a bunch of people with too much money and not enough brains.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
This movie was straight up retarded, from the premise to the "scientists" in it. A movie made by too much money and not enough brains, about a bunch of people with too much money and not enough brains.

Bingo. I just watched Chronicle. Its half as long and ten times as good. Simple story, characters who do things that make sense, no "twists" you see a mile away, a real ending, etc etc. Less is more sometimes. I haven't read this entire thread but has anyone pointed out how stupid the ending was? This genius sees the engineer being woken up and, without pause, goes on a human being killing spree. So what does she do? Go off to their home planet for answers. Uh, what? They will kill her, determine that humans can figure out where they live and maybe decide to attack Earth. Brilliant.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I watched it yesterday and was totally blown away. I'm only a recent convert to the "Alien" universe having picked up the boxset in 2009, and the blurays a few months back. I watched them all again in anticipation for this film.

I thought the initial establishing scenes on the moon were incredible. Started to trail off up until the operation scene. I'd never been so gripped watching a film before. I still can't get over how good that was.

Saw it on a regular 3D showing but I'm tempted to go back for the IMAX showing.

The way I see it - the xenomorphs adapt. We've seen that throughout the films - the fast cow ones, the regular human ones, the hybrid. Infact, does the classic xenomorph we all know and love only come from a human host? I always figured, the name being a clue, that it grabs a bit of DNA from its hosts to adapt to the hosts environment; "a survivor", I believe someone called it in an earlier film.

And if that isn't the case, the distance between the films is around 50 years. After seeing how quickly the xenomorphs grow and create young, isn't it possible that the end alien was the first step in a very quick evolution chain?

Ahhh, I love it.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Saw it last night. My only problem was when Charlize Theron said they're 500,000,000 miles from earth. That's not possible because that's just past Jupiter.

Oh, and I highly doubt we'll have the technology to travel that far into space by 2090. We can barely make it to Mars lol.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Saw it last night. My only problem was when Charlize Theron said they're 500,000,000 miles from earth. That's not possible because that's just past Jupiter.

Oh, and I highly doubt we'll have the technology to travel that far into space by 2090. We can barely make it to Mars lol.

Well, the movie did state that Weyland Industries was dominant around 2020. Realistic or not, you'd be surprised at what a corporation can accomplish with more or less infinite amount of capital.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Don't focus on that. I remember when I watched 2001 for the first time and I was so excited about where the human race would be at the turn of the century, lol. So they are being optimist. :):)

Regarding the distance, very interesting. I googled looking for the location of LV-233 and could not find any references. Maybe she ment 500 billion?

Last edited:

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
She wasn't playing a character with much interest in science. She seemed more business oriented, and those people like to pay people to think about silly things like distances...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
World wide gross is up to $400 million. Found this interesting article, Reassessing The Alien Franchise After Prometheus Some good points in it, especially in opening our eyes to the significance of our encounters, but I would disagree with part of this notion:

Because the existence of the Engineers makes three things clear: first, there have always been larger forces at work manipulating events, though not always benevolently or even skillfully. Second, that just as Engineers created humans, Humans created the Androids. And third, the Engineers that created humans also created the Alien. That means that the Alien is no longer simply the Other, the Exterior Threat, the Unknown. The Alien is in fact our cousin, our descendent, our family.

In this story, while humans are descendants of Engineers and along with the alien monsters, we have been engineered, I would not call the aliens our family. The Engineers definitely did not consider the aliens as part of their family, but a bio weapon gone wrong. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yup watched it again with my mom and sister. Still hated it. :D:)

I thought the story was straight forward and informative, the cinematography was nice, the atmosphere was mysterious, and it reinforced that Weylan Corp is a very bad company to work for. ;) My critque would be that it had relatively low suspense, definitely not the house of horror atmosphere, although there were horrors there. What would be interesting to know, is if Ridley Scott knew this lore since he directed the first one, or if he/someone made up this stuff to fit the previous Alien stories?

You may have all ready talked about it, but what would you say was bad?

1. Inconsistencies from other Alien movies?
2. Unanswered questions or puzzles?
3. Low on suspense?
4. Improbabilities?
5. Unlikeable story or characters?
6. Other?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
For me it was the characters and the story. I did not like the ending. I did not like C.T. character. I did not like the creature that comes to the loading dock. The scene with the alien vs the humaniod, horrible. I was very disappointed in the whole affair especially after reading about it and how it is supposed to be a pre-curser to Alien. Ok, so the last 60 seconds with the Alien merging with the big blue guy.

I didn't mind the lead character to much nor the robot. I was not impressed with any of the characters that came along for the ride if you will.

The scene with the snake like Alien. Oh I don't know, lets stick our hand out to an alien creature. Yes that makes total sense to me.

Can these be nitpicks, sure, but there were enough of them to completetly take me out of the movie.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
it was massive disappointment to me.
too many inconsistencies: logical, biological, 'scientific'.

starting on why would anyone decide to assemble for such an expensive and incredibly important mission a bunch of incompetent dimwits.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For me it was the characters and the story. I did not like the ending. I did not like C.T. character. I did not like the creature that comes to the loading dock. The scene with the alien vs the humaniod, horrible. I was very disappointed in the whole affair especially after reading about it and how it is supposed to be a pre-curser to Alien. Ok, so the last 60 seconds with the Alien merging with the big blue guy.

I didn't mind the lead character to much nor the robot. I was not impressed with any of the characters that came along for the ride if you will.

The scene with the snake like Alien. Oh I don't know, lets stick our hand out to an alien creature. Yes that makes total sense to me.

Can these be nitpicks, sure, but there were enough of them to completetly take me out of the movie.

That was all most funny. I remember saying, "that guy needed to watch a couple of scifi/horror movies before departing on this mission", lol. This was one of the two most serious laps in judgement, as if the director chose to torture the audience. :) The other was the anthropologist taking off his helmet. Although in the movie's defense, the lost guys died with their helmets on. Do people make poor judgements? Everyday. However I do see how this can undermine the story in viewers' eyes.

The screenplay was written by the hack who wrote the screenplay for Lost.

'nuff said.

I loved Lost! Maybe there is a correlation. :p

it was massive disappointment to me.
too many inconsistencies: logical, biological, 'scientific'.

starting on why would anyone decide to assemble for such an expensive and incredibly important mission a bunch of incompetent dimwits.

Lol.

Last edited:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I liked the movie overall but some of the "scary" scenes seemed too contrived. I watched the film with Ridley Scott's commentary and he addressed some of what I thought was wrong with the movie. He said that he didn't want to introduce unanswered questions like in Blade Runner, he wanted everything to be answered now instead of people writing papers about it 30 years from now. Also Scott said that during filming he would feel the pace of the movie starting to fall behind so they invented scenes to pick up the pace. For example the scene in which the engineer's head explodes in the lab was an on-set decision. That and the two "scientists" running around the temple freaking out were detrimental to the film for me. Overall great concept and visuals but the direction and writing suffered. I'm giving it 2.5 stars out of 4.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
That was all most funny. I remember saying, "that guy needed to watch a couple of scifi/horro movies before departing on this mission", lol. This was one of the two most serious laps in judgement, as if the director chose to torture the audience. :) The other was the anthropologist taking off his helmet. Although in the movie's defense, the lost guys died with their helmets on. Do people make poor judgements? Everyday. However I do see how this can undermine the story in viewers' eyes.

That is what I am talking about. I was laughing as well as the wife. It took us out of the movie. Your assessment for this scene is spot on, "Dude you haven't seen to many horror scifi flicks...so lets watch this one just in case we come upon a strange creature, we know not to stick our hand out and pet it!" hahaha.........

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I liked the movie overall but some of the "scary" scenes seemed too contrived. I watched the film with Ridley Scott's commentary and he addressed some of what I thought was wrong with the movie. He said that he didn't want to introduce unanswered questions like in Blade Runner, he wanted everything to be answered now instead of people writing papers about it 30 years from now. Also Scott said that during filming he would feel the pace of the movie starting to fall behind so they invented scenes to pick up the pace. For example the scene in which the engineer's head explodes in the lab was an on-set decision. That and the two "scientists" running around the temple freaking out were detrimental to the film for me. Overall great concept and visuals but the direction and writing suffered. I'm giving it 2.5 stars out of 4.

The exploding head did nothing for the story. I guess it can be written off as a random event. I remember having quarantine jitters watching that scene as they were yelling "contain it, contain it!". ;)

I did not see them getting lost either, because they maintained comms when inside the pyramid and they had personal locator displays of them on the display back at the ship. This is a weak point in the story to serve up two crew members for sacrifice. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After watching this movie about 10 times, I appreciate the fine story telling this movie accomplishes. Into story, I would wrap effects, motivations, action, cinematography, photography, music, stupid character decisions, the whole enchilada.

That said, Prometheus 2 is in the works for a 2014-early 15 premier. I found this interesting article: Damon Lindelof talks truth behind Prometheus 2 rumors at Prometheus2-movie.com where the writer Lindelof explains what was behind decisions that formed the original Prometheus story, why he was brought in to finish the script, and the successful attempt to open it up so it was not specifically an Aliens prequel, but a story that exists in the Alien's universe. Indications seem to be it will be a trilogy. I'm looking forward to it! :)

During the creative process of Prometheus, all involved (that includes Fox and Ridley) had a strong desire for this film to launch off in its own way so that by the end, it would not connect directly to the original ALIEN, but instead run parallel to it. This is something that I talked about many, many times in the press burst around the release of the movie. As you probably remember, there was a lot of interest as to whether Prometheus was a "prequel" - the answer was, "Yes. Sort of. But if there was a sequel to Prometheus, it would not be ALIEN."

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
After watching this movie about 10 times, I appreciate the fine story telling this movie accomplishes. Into story, I would wrap effects, motivations, action, cinematography, photography, music, stupid character decisions, the whole enchilada.

That said, Prometheus 2 is in the works for a 2014-early 15 premier. I found this interesting article: Damon Lindelof talks truth behind Prometheus 2 rumors at Prometheus2-movie.com where the writer Lindelof explains what was behind decisions that formed the original Prometheus story, why he was brought in to finish the script, and the successful attempt to open it up so it was not specifically an Aliens prequel, but a story that exists in the Alien's universe. Indications seem to be it will be a trilogy. I'm looking forward to it! :)

Call me a sucker but I will go see it......... As much as I disliked the first one, I am still a sucker for sci-fi and of course for Alien related stuff!

I will go in with lower expectations if you will. But yup I want to see it lol

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Call me a sucker but I will go see it......... As much as I disliked the first one, I am still a sucker for sci-fi and of course for Alien related stuff!

I will go in with lower expectations if you will. But yup I want to see it lol

I think that was one of the problems with Prometheus, expectations based on the Aliens franchise, however parts of the Alien franchise sucked BIG TIME (as I think of the abominations called Aliens 3 and Aliens Resurrection), puke! :p Although not perfect, Prometheus has reversed the downward spiral of the previous stories.

Last edited:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Lately I've just been watching the first twenty minutes and the part with the ship in it...

tumblr_m5kk7cUC8Y1ryycp5o1_1280.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.