Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astroturfme

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Now that's *very* interesting if Google engages in deals with companies to favor natural search results placement (or is that for the sponsored)...humm.

>>>>
Lala's biggest strength was that it was at or near the top for many Google searches of particular songs, thanks to a search placement deal with Google.
>>>>

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Hahaha

Of course he would be eating a beet salad of all things.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Ah, Steve. If it actually went down like that, then damn. Totally badass.

Articles like this make me wonder how much Apple, as well as the entire industry, is possibly going to be hurting without that guy around.

Hate or no, Jobs made things happen. Now. HUGE shoes for Tim Cook to fill.

We'll see...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Now that's *very* interesting if Google engages in deals with companies to favor natural search results placement (or is that for the sponsored)...humm.

>>>>
Lala's biggest strength was that it was at or near the top for many Google searches of particular songs, thanks to a search placement deal with Google.
>>>>

Is this news? You can pay for play with Google Search....

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
It would be nice if all the current legal shenanigans between Apple and other parties could be resolved the same way.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I always thought that the whole "write a number on a piece of paper" thing was just in movies. I guess that it reduces the shock of saying a huge number out loud?

Yeah saying one hundred million doesn't sound too exciting in a spoken context. Seeing 100,000,000 written out with all those zeros is the wow factor.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Now if all business transactions were that simple, life would be so much better.

With enough cash on hand, a position of sufficiency, and a deep understanding of value, it is.

Too many of us function from a position of debt, need, and ignorance. :eek:

need4speed

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Bay Area, CA
Oh please... Without Google, Apple is nothing.

What now? Without Steve mentoring the Google founders, Google would not be where it is. Also, without stealing ideas, by a Google exec, while serving on Apples board of directors... we would not be having this conversation.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Chances are Google has more revenue & profits than Apple. They have a search engine, Android, RELIABLE Maps, etc.

Well, they are both publicly traded companies. Lets take a look at last quarter's results...

GOOG: 14b revenue, 2.7b profit
AAPL: 36b revenue, 8.2b profit.

Last edited:

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Chances are Google has more revenue & profits than Apple. They have a search engine, Android, RELIABLE Maps, etc.

Search Engine, Customer gets to use it for free
Android, Third Parties get to use it for free
Maps, Customer gets to use it for free
ETC, Customer gets to use it for free

Questions:
How many people actually pay attention to the ads on Google searches?
How many people still access Gmail via the web and see ads, vice accessing Gmail from an Email Client that does not show ads?
How many people pay attention to the ads on Google Maps?

I use Google services, but hardly ever see the ads or give the ads any consideration. And I think a lot of people are the same.

To me this means a couple things:

1) Advertisers will eventually understand the returns for there investment in advertising with Google is not worth it and they will either not advertise on Google or pay less to advertise on Google.

2) Google will be forced to make ads more obtrusive to the customer.

3) Google is selling the customers information, which may eventually piss off the customer. Some people like privacy.

Google does not have any physical products that they sell for a profit (if there is profit, the profit margins on the Nexus line are nil for Google). Google's online services are (monetarily wise) free for the customer. How does that make them any money close to the profit margins that AAPL makes?

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
i LOVED LaLa. Got most of my itunes collection from the cd's i traded. what a brilliant concept. loved coming home to see new cd's in my mailbox. its really what opened the door to music for me and i was SO stoked to see it start streaming, then apple had to take it all away. such a shame, i still have most of the cd's i received back then, and i can see why this way has become antiquated, it was still a good time i can look back on with nostalgia.

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
becasue AAPL has 3x the amount of outstanding shares compaired to goog?

I don't really understand what you're saying here... that's how market capitalization works. The outstanding shares and the share price factor to the value of the company.

When you factor together the company's outstanding shares and the share price, AAPL is twice as valuable as GOOG.

----------

Seriously... where do you get your facts? Have you even looked at the financial statements? Who is your source for this information?

His source is clearly only himself, and his "common sense".

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Johnson writes that Lala's biggest strength was that it was at or near the top for many Google searches of particular songs, thanks to a search placement deal with Google.
Is there a source for this "search placement deal" claim? The linked article does not mention such a deal. It just says that most of the time the first link would be to LaLa, but it is not claiming Google was boosting LaLa's ranking unfairly. This is a serious accusation, I'd like to know whether there is a credible source behind it.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Please explain.

I agree that without Google the Internet would be a very different, and arguably less useful place. Google revolutionized search and forced every other player to adapt or die.

Anyone else remember the smattering of search engines one used to employ for different types of searches before Google came along and changed everything? I do.

Still, I can't really see how a Google-less world would have any significant effect on Apple. Well, except without Google Microsoft might still be relevant and Apple fanboys would still be fighting Microsoft fanboys...

Seriously... where do you get your facts? Have you even looked at the financial statements? Who is your source for this information?

Google.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
If Steve were alive, he'd be invited to sit with Obama to figure a way out of the Finacial mess this country is in..... He maybe couldn't fix it right away, but there would be some unique ideas thrown out there, I'd bet !:)

I doubt it, running a government and running a business is completely different. The whole point of a government is to do the essential things that businesses won't touch because there's no profit in it.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I really miss Steve.

flickering-candle-gif.21745

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
If Steve were alive, he'd be invited to sit with Obama to figure a way out of the Finacial mess this country is in..... He maybe couldn't fix it right away, but there would be some unique ideas thrown out there, I'd bet !:)

I believe Steve did have a sit down with President Obama. Two things they talked about were a tax holiday for business, and public education. I think Steve was not happy with the taxes for foreign income, and Steve was not happy with the cost of public school education vs the quality of education coming out.

euphlyusUNO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Tips on how Steve Jobs bought a company:

1) He made an offer
2) It was accepted

For bonus points, pass the offer on a piece of paper for added oomph.
Nope, not really. If you know how acquisitions work, then this article really makes sense. It highlights the power and authority of Steve Jobs. And for the bonus, his style. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.