Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pheomixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Nara, Japan
Almost the whole of 2012, I was waiting for the release of the imac. But when it finally came out, I felt that if was too expensive for me. (27 inch, Fusion Drive, i7, and 680MX) The 21.5 was out of the question because of the slow 5400rpm hdd and the inability to add the ram by myself.

So I started looking at the retina 15 inch. I thought that it was going to be the perfect machine for me until I saw many complaints about the LG screen having problems. If I really don't know which screen I would get, wouldn't it be a gamble to buy and hope for the samsung screen?

If I were to wait for the 2nd generation (probably in June), would the problem be solved? Thinking of the relationship between Apple and Samsung and after the patent war, I don't think if will be any better.

What do you guys think?

Should I just get the 27 imac?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
If it's a computer you'll lug around a lot, get the 15" Retina. If you get an LG screen and it shows image retention somewhere down the line, just haul it to the closest Apple Store and they'll replace the screen for you.

If it's a computer you need because of screen real estate, power, etc... then iMac 27" no question.

Pheomixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Nara, Japan
If it's a computer you'll lug around a lot, get the 15" Retina. If you get an LG screen and it shows image retention somewhere down the line, just haul it to the closest Apple Store and they'll replace the screen for you.

If it's a computer you need because of screen real estate, power, etc... then iMac 27" no question.

Actually I don't really need portability and the huge screen real estate. I'm thinking of these 2 machines because of the specs.

I'm leaning more towards the 15 rMBP. But I'm living quite far away from the nearest Apple Store here.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Actually I don't really need portability and the huge screen real estate. I'm thinking of these 2 machines because of the specs.

I'm leaning more towards the 15 rMBP. But I'm living quite far away from the nearest Apple Store here.

Yeah, I suspected as much. 27" iMac is the much better choice here.

But just as a note, 27" iMac also suffers from image retention:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1509571/

So it's looking likely that Apple has indeed moved away from Samsung, and is almost using LG screens exclusively.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
There is not much that interests me in the new imacs, I did toy with the idea but my CTO 2.8i7 21.5" works perfectly well and with a 15" retina is the best of both worlds.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
As I've said in other threads over the course of the year, IR is a problem blown way out of proportion. How many times do you do work while staring at a static checkerboard image over the course of your day? I've had my rMBP for months now and havent seen IR at all. I have the LG screen.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
As I've said in other threads over the course of the year, IR is a problem blown way out of proportion. How many times do you do work while staring at a static checkerboard image over the course of your day? I've had my rMBP for months now and havent seen IR at all. I have the LG screen.

I completely agree. In fact my first rMBP was a base model with LG screen and it was amazing. No issues, no day to day IR, loved it.

I returned it ONLY to get a BTO w/ 16GB RAM which came with a Samsung screen, which I actually found less sharp, less vibrant and less rich in colors. I much preferred the LG screen.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

It doesn't take a static checkerboard image.

Once it kicks in, all you need is black text on white window on the screen for a few minutes, and then when you open any app that has a dark gray background (iPhoto or Lightroom or Photoshop), the black text with the white background will be imprinted on the screen.

It's good that you haven't noticed it, but trust me, it's VERY bad. I have seen mild IR in IPS panels over the years, but those aren't as "clear" as on the rMBP, and it takes hours for them to show IR. On the rMBP, it can take as low as a few minutes.

Since I work with texts a lot (I'm a professional programmer/coder), it's unacceptable.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
It doesn't take a static checkerboard image.

Once it kicks in, all you need is black text on white window on the screen for a few minutes, and then when you open any app that has a dark gray background (iPhoto or Lightroom or Photoshop), the black text with the white background will be imprinted on the screen.

It's good that you haven't noticed it, but trust me, it's VERY bad. I have seen mild IR in IPS panels over the years, but those aren't as "clear" as on the rMBP, and it takes hours for them to show IR. On the rMBP, it can take as low as a few minutes.

Since I work with texts a lot (I'm a professional programmer/coder), it's unacceptable.

Fair enough, not going to invalidate your experience. I do however think that if you're looking for IR you'll find it. That way you spend less time actually enjoying your computer.

Nonetheless, apple will surely replace any IR infected display :).

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Fair enough, not going to invalidate your experience. I do however think that if you're looking for IR you'll find it. That way you spend less time actually enjoying your computer.

Nonetheless, apple will surely replace any IR infected display :).

Oh no, I wasn't "looking" for it.

But I was writing black texts on a white background for multiple hours a day... several months in a row. Tight deadlines and all that.

And sure, Apple would replace any IR infected display. I know because I had mine swapped out for a Samsung display. Luckily, it only took a few days.

And now I'm back to using a dark gray wallpaper without any problem. I don't know about other people, but dark gray allows me to see everything I have on the desktop easily, and I use the desktop as an "idea sketch" bin.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Oh no, I wasn't "looking" for it.

But I was writing black texts on a white background for multiple hours a day... several months in a row. Tight deadlines and all that.

And sure, Apple would replace any IR infected display. I know because I had mine swapped out for a Samsung display. Luckily, it only took a few days.

And now I'm back to using a dark gray wallpaper without any problem. I don't know about other people, but dark gray allows me to see everything I have on the desktop easily, and I use the desktop as an "idea sketch" bin.

I didnt mean YOU were looking for it, I apologize. But when people read about experiences like yours they're going to run the checkerboard test and find that they have IR. You probably work in specific environments where IR is apparent to your eyes, but my bet is that most people dont strain their display that much.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I didnt mean YOU were looking for it, I apologize. But when people read about experiences like yours they're going to run the checkerboard test and find that they have IR. You probably work in specific environments where IR is apparent to your eyes, but my bet is that most people dont strain their display that much.

Well, still... no.

Trust me, when IR is there, it'll be very apparent. I don't sit in the office all the time. I go out to coffee shops or to the garden (direct sunlight) half the other times, too, and irregardless of brightness setting, ambient lighting, or anything else, IR is apparent.

When I first saw it, it was very faint. Almost non-existent.

But then after a few days, it got progressively worse. And by the end of the week, I could easily see the imprints of an entire Safari window left behind on top of Photoshop CS6. Complete with address bar and all of the contents inside.

It got so bad that at times, I could have sworn I was seeing the back and forward button from Safari on top of the "Run" button inside XCode. It didn't even take a dark gray background to show.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
just got my 15 retina this week. LG screen.

Happy as can be, would be hard to ever own another computer.

Not arguing against imac as one is portable and one is not. that is up to you

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010

Ever think of going with a Mac Mini/Monitor of your choice? I just ordered an ASUS 23" IPS LED Monitor off of Amazon for $190. The screen is beautiful. You can get a quad-core mac mini for $800 I believe, and be out the door for less than $1,000.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Had a RMBP from the release (Base model with 16gb ram). It does have a Samsung screen...and I have actually been able to reproduce the image retention issue on it. 4 hours with the checkerboard image on it and then it was there for about 30 secs and went. But thats a 'characteristic' of those type of screens. A real world situation wouldnt be like that.

In short the RMBP is the best laptop (or computer) i have ever owned. Period. (And I have owned a fair few...).

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Not really an issue. If you get IR, just bring it back to the Genius Bar. They will be glad to replace the screen for you since it is a relatively well known issue. Just had my screen replaced with a Samsung, good as new

07dodge

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Out of the hundreds of thousands or millions of Retinas Apple has sold, those reporting a problem on here are the small, VERY small minority of total buyers.

Most don't go onto forums posting about their trouble-free new rMBP; if it's not an issue, it's really not talked about.

I asked about the screen issue when I got mine; he said he's heard about it but never seen it. He also said he could tell me what screen I have in about 30 seconds; I didn't bother. Had it two weeks now and couldn't be happier.

It's fast, the screen is AMAZING, and it's completely SILENT. Awesome

Pheomixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Nara, Japan
Out of the hundreds of thousands or millions of Retinas Apple has sold, those reporting a problem on here are the small, VERY small minority of total buyers.

Most don't go onto forums posting about their trouble-free new rMBP; if it's not an issue, it's really not talked about.

I asked about the screen issue when I got mine; he said he's heard about it but never seen it. He also said he could tell me what screen I have in about 30 seconds; I didn't bother. Had it two weeks now and couldn't be happier.

It's fast, the screen is AMAZING, and it's completely SILENT. Awesome

I've been looking at "The Ultimate rMBP Image Retention Test" thread. And it scared the heck out of me. Actually I just took out money 2 days ago to make the plunge but I don't think I'll be doing it. One of the member in this forum had to go through 14 replacements(!!??) and finally got the samsung screen. I think I'll go crazy if I were to go through all that. Since I'll be paying quite a lot of money, these kind of things are unacceptable. :( :( :(

----------

Ever think of going with a Mac Mini/Monitor of your choice? I just ordered an ASUS 23" IPS LED Monitor off of Amazon for $190. The screen is beautiful. You can get a quad-core mac mini for $800 I believe, and be out the door for less than $1,000.

Mac mini doesn't have the dedicated GPU that I will be needing. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

----------

I've been waiting for too long I guess. I really want the rMBP 15 but is it really too risky to get it now?? :( Can I like go to the apple store and demand for a samsung screen? I want to order it with 16GB and upgrade the processor to 2.6 i7.

My mind is telling me to go windows but I really don't know what to do.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I've been looking at "The Ultimate rMBP Image Retention Test" thread. And it scared the heck out of me. Actually I just took out money 2 days ago to make the plunge but I don't think I'll be doing it. One of the member in this forum had to go through 14 replacements(!!??) and finally got the samsung screen. I think I'll go crazy if I were to go through all that. Since I'll be paying quite a lot of money, these kind of things are unacceptable. :( :( :(

----------

Mac mini doesn't have the dedicated GPU that I will be needing. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

----------

I've been waiting for too long I guess. I really want the rMBP 15 but is it really too risky to get it now?? :( Can I like go to the apple store and demand for a samsung screen? I want to order it with 16GB and upgrade the processor to 2.6 i7.

My mind is telling me to go windows but I really don't know what to do.

You are too paranoid. There is and will always be risk to buying anything. Nothing is perfect!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, I suspected as much. 27" iMac is the much better choice here.

But just as a note, 27" iMac also suffers from image retention:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1509571/

So it's looking likely that Apple has indeed moved away from Samsung, and is almost using LG screens exclusively.

LG is the biggest supplier worldwide of IPS panels. I think Panasonic makes some for televisions, but due to the IPS factor, the imac has naturally used an LG panel since it went back to IPS from a few TN generations many years ago.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have a rMBP, and it is the 5th Apple Laptop I have purchased and easily the best. Super quick, light and quiet, with a stunning display. I purchased it in August and I got an LG screen. I did not notice the image persistence issue at first, and maybe it has been getting worse with age. I took it back to my local Apple Store in Bristol on Thursday. As usual the service was excellent and they have agreed to swap the screen out. Just waiting for the work to be completed.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I were to wait for the 2nd generation (probably in June), would the problem be solved?
No computer is perfect but I think the rMBP is a great laptop and would recommend one now. If you can wait you're almost always better off because of better specs. I have a rMBP and I'm extremely happy.

Buy one and see if you're satisfied with the quality and and if you don't like it then return it

Pheomixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Nara, Japan
No computer is perfect but I think the rMBP is a great laptop and would recommend one now. If you can wait you're almost always better off because of better specs. I have a rMBP and I'm extremely happy.

Buy one and see if you're satisfied with the quality and and if you don't like it then return it

The rMBP specs are very good for the price IMO. I have seen many good reviews on it on the internet. The only thing holding me back is that display problem.

Should I just order it with the specs that I want, and if I get a LG screen, send it for replacement (not exchange) cos I might get another LG screen(?) and it will probably take longer cos it is BTO machine.

Any thoughts? :confused::(

----------

I have a rMBP, and it is the 5th Apple Laptop I have purchased and easily the best. Super quick, light and quiet, with a stunning display. I purchased it in August and I got an LG screen. I did not notice the image persistence issue at first, and maybe it has been getting worse with age. I took it back to my local Apple Store in Bristol on Thursday. As usual the service was excellent and they have agreed to swap the screen out. Just waiting for the work to be completed.

Did they agree to give you the samsung screen?

----------

You are too paranoid. There is and will always be risk to buying anything. Nothing is perfect!

The thing is too many people are experiencing the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.