Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
"Chances are," huh? Wow. Do you really think you can lie about stuff like this?

Let's look at Q3 2012 earnings for Apple and Google, the most recent quarter for which both companies have data.

Google reported about $14 billion in revenue, and Apple reported… let's see… $35 billion.

Oh, and you mentioned Android?

you can't educate a troll.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Very interesting read! Thanks to the author for writing this account of events.

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
You're kidding, right?

Apple has more revenues than Google. Apple has higher profits than Google. These are facts.

The notion that Google ads generate revenue with very little expenses is likely true, but Google spends a ton of money on projects that make little to no profits.

For the last reported quarter, Google had an operating margin of 28%. Apple had an operating margin of 35%. Apple's margins are considered very high for a predominantly hardware company. Google's margins are average for a predominantly software company.

The lack of financial understanding is downright criminal in these forums...seriously.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Chances are Google has more revenue & profits than Apple. They have a search engine, Android, RELIABLE Maps, etc.

Are you 10 years old? Do you even know what a financial statement is?

If you are at all not living in a ditch and have basic reading comprehension then you would realize that Apple's profits and corporation as a whole is more stable than Google.

Also funny is how you could Google quarterly results for each of these companies and compare them yet you choose to make ignorant statements instead.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Chances are Google has more revenue & profits than Apple. They have a search engine, Android, RELIABLE Maps, etc.

Chances? There are facts and numbers, friend. Apple is the most profitable and most valuable company in the industry. There aren't chances anywhere. Both are public companies with public numbers.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
No.

If that was the case, why wasnt he asked to do that before he died, say a year or 2 before when he was healthy? :rolleyes:

He was a business man, not a bloody magician.

Understood... that's why the words "maybe" and the Smile face icon are in my post. This WORLD is in a heep of trouble even Steve couldn't fix, I'm sure.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
Before Apple got fat and rich they would have innovated their way out of the competition. Now they are lazy and just buy the smaller operators who are vastly more creative and innovative. They will only be able to do that for so long while their 'war chest' of wealth gets eroded- until they are forced to do something spectacular again. Apple and Steve are best when they really are foolish and hungry.....not fat and lazy.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Speaking of lack of financial understanding! Do you even know the definition of revenue? I know you dont so ill fill you in, its money made before any expenses are paid. Google makes tons of cash off ads that require little labor while apples products require more and more labor at every step. Not to mention r and d. I would be shocked if after expenses apple managed to make more money.

prepare to be shocked!

-last quarter results-
GOOG: 2.7b profit
AAPL: 8.2b profit.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
I was gonna reply to the guy who said chances are Google makes more money than Apple by posting the two companies financials from last qtr, but I see its been done multiple times already lol.

Was that guy serious??

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If Steve were alive, he'd be invited to sit with Obama to figure a way out of the Finacial mess this country is in..... He maybe couldn't fix it right away, but there would be some unique ideas thrown out there, I'd bet !:)

He was invited and did sit down. Trouble was that Obama etc weren't too keen on some of Job's thoughts. Like Jobs saying that major companies weren't going to bring production back to the US because the infrastructure is totally lacking. So it would stay in Asia, especially China. Or Jobs feelings about being taxed at full rates on monies earned and held overseas.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Why are people quoting my message so much? So many quote notifications!

----------

I was gonna reply to the guy who said chances are Google makes more money than Apple by posting the two companies financials from last qtr, but I see its been done multiple times already lol.

Was that guy serious??

*ahem*. That guy is me.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why are people quoting my message so much? So many quote notifications!

----------

*ahem*. That guy is me.

Maybe because your simple one-word answer confirmed that you're clearly clueless when it comes to either company and no one thought you were serious.

BTW, Steve Jobs is dead, in the ground, dead ... can we stop speaking of him as though he is alive and well and still buying up any companies?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i LOVED LaLa.

So did I. And I think it was and still is really ****** that Apple killed basically all the features that made it good after buying it. They apparently bought it for the track matching tech but it was the rest of it that could have vastly improved discovery and even made Ping something decent rather than the joke that it ended up being

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Maybe because your simple one-word answer confirmed that you're clearly clueless when it comes to either company and no one thought you were serious.

BTW, Steve Jobs is dead, in the ground, dead ... can we stop speaking of him as though he is alive and well and still buying up any companies?

What one word answer?

----------

What one word answer? I'm not clueless.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
LMAO one thing this thread has proven is that (f)Androids are clueless. Apple runs rings around Google and prepare for a real shocker - Google makes a crap ton of revenue off Apple - almost nothing from Android. It's "free" remember?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Now all they have to do is apply the same tactics again and acquire Google

Can't. Apple needs it's cash for infrastructure. Apple is waiting for 4G standards to emerge then eventually they will start to roll out cell based broadcasting of iTunes content. It would only cost about 20 billion to build out the towers. Once that is in place they can bypass cable and fiber, initially buy the content and then once the cable companies die Apple would then have the broadcasters by the balls. This would be a great TV strategy. ;) :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.