Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightMoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Hi There,

I'm new to the world of OS X and I simple can't resist the MacBook Air any longer. I realize that Apple is expected to announce a new MBA sometime around June but I currently need a small and portable computer. I'm wondering if I'll be able to get some of my money back in the event that I buy the 2012 MacBook Air and the 2013 model is irresistible (read: retina display). From what I understand Apple products tend to retain their resale value. Does any body have any figures about the price drops from previous years? I expect the value of the 2012 model to go down when the new one is announced, but by how much? Is the MBA like an iPhone or iPad where the previous generation immediately feels sluggish with upgrades to the operating system?

Thanks for your input.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Hi There,

I'm new to the world of OS X and I simple can't resist the MacBook Air any longer. I realize that Apple is expected to announce a new MBA sometime around June but I currently need a small and portable computer. I'm wondering if I'll be able to get some of my money back in the event that I buy the 2012 MacBook Air and the 2013 model is irresistible (read: retina display). From what I understand Apple products tend to retain their resale value. Does any body have any figures about the price drops from previous years? I expect the value of the 2012 model to go down when the new one is announced, but by how much? Is the MBA like an iPhone or iPad where the previous generation immediately feels sluggish with upgrades to the operating system?

Thanks for your input.

Aside from the hassle of selling it privately, and an even bigger hassle of trying to securely erase SSD's, you're probably going to lose at least 30-40% between now and approx. June, when the new Airs might very well make an appearance. Unless you absolutely can not do without until then, I would definitely wait. The new machines are rumored to have Haswell, with much improved graphics, and perhaps 802.11ac, for further and faster home networking capabilities. Good luck!

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Aside from the hassle of selling it privately, and an even bigger hassle of trying to securely erase SSD's, you're probably going to lose at least 30-40% between now and approx. June, when the new Airs might very well make an appearance. Unless you absolutely can not do without until then, I would definitely wait. The new machines are rumored to have Haswell, with much improved graphics, and perhaps 802.11ac, for further and faster home networking capabilities. Good luck!

LOL, I just sold a used 2011 11" Air (i5/4GB/128GB) for $900 with the only accessory being a $10 EBay sleeve. I think its safe to say that a 40% drop in sale price after ~60 months is a stretch.

Apple gear holds its value better than just about anything on the planet. Seriously, people on Craigslist buy Macs for outrageous selling prices.

Now, I will say the current 2011 11" I picked up to replace it (i7/4GB/256GB) was sold at a fire-sale price of $720, but I think that is more to do with the sellers unfortunate circumstance than actual lost value.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It always a tough call as to how much value something will have used, especially when a newer model is introduced. Having said that, what the others have said seem to be in line with what usually happens.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
LOL, I just sold a used 2011 11" Air (i5/4GB/128GB) for $900 with the only accessory being a $10 EBay sleeve. I think its safe to say that a 40% drop in sale price after ~60 months is a stretch.

Apple gear holds its value better than just about anything on the planet. Seriously, people on Craigslist buy Macs for outrageous selling prices.

Now, I will say the current 2011 11" I picked up to replace it (i7/4GB/256GB) was sold at a fire-sale price of $720, but I think that is more to do with the sellers unfortunate circumstance than actual lost value.

Yeah Apple stuff holds it value extremely well. I just sold 1 of my old white Macbooks I got in 2007 for 250 bucks and 1 I got in 2008 for 300 bucks. I originally paid around 1200 for each of those, so thats pretty good value. I got an HP from the same time as I hadn't shifted fully from PC to Mac and I couldn't give that thing away even a year later.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Apple "stuff" generally holds its value pretty well. Buy for your NEED. If you don't need and can wait, sure why not. But if you need it then get it now there is no question.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Apple stuff does hold value pretty well.

People will definitely pay for instant gratification. Don't underestimate this.

Also, I still sold it in absolutely mint condition for $40 less than Amazon, so I am not sure what you are trying to say, but it sorta proves my point in how easy it is to get a good asking price.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I retracted what I put because I realized yours had twice the storage, therefore yours wasn't a bad deal.

However, most reasonable people would buy something brand new for only $40 more if they are already spending $900 (given the same product).

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
I retracted what I put because I realized yours had twice the storage, therefore yours wasn't a bad deal.

However, most reasonable people would buy something brand new for only $40 more if they are already spending $900 (given the same product).

Reasonable definitely isn't the word that comes to mind when I think Craigslist ;)

Some people have money burning a hole in their pocket, want something, and want it now. Plus, you can generally get better specs and excellent condition devices just buying a couple months "broken in" stuff. Hell, look what I did to get an entirely better computer and actually end up with money left over. :D

I did the exact same thing with my 09 Pro to buy my 11" MBA when I bought it brand new too. MBP sold for $700 (had upgrades and an SSD, so not as much of a killer sale) and ponied up a few hundred to buy the Air. Simple, effective, and not as much hassle as you might think.

EDIT: Also, its a two way street: Wait long enough and you can find a super deal, and wait long enough/hold firm on price and you can sell nearly anything.

In short, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay. Forgive me, but there are a ton of dumb-as-rocks people in the world, and some of them have big money and little patience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.