Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrTemps

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Austria
I think using one of these app like CCleaner is more voodoo than useful. On Macs you don't need such software.

C

champ01

Using it weekly. Its a nice app and available in the App Store.

Don't let fanboys tell you that a Mac is indestructible. (nothing is. Period!)

Do watch out what it is you delete with does type of apps.

BTW resetting Safari is a joke. (it doesn't delete all cookies etc)

Reactions: kern1988

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Using it weekly. Its a nice app and available in the App Store.

Don't let fanboys tell you that a Mac is indestructible. (nothing is. Period!)

Do watch out what it is you delete with does type of apps.

BTW resetting Safari is a joke. (it doesn't delete all cookies etc)

Can you record a video and show and prove that a safari reset does not delete all cookies?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Reason I would not trust this App at all.

Font Registry Cache:confused:

OS X doesn't have a registry!

See screenshot.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 64

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Rather than be dependent on "System Cleaners" for MacOSX.... I would much rather have ALL developers to just ship their Mac Apps with un-installers.

If the Mac App is a simple install, and it only installs a single App folder (the icon you actually see in the Applications Folder), then it does not need an un-installer. But other bloated applications (Abode, Microsoft, etc) also install a bunch of other invisible system files that are harder to locate or remove. THOSE developers should really be encouraged to provide an un-installer app. It's the right thing to do.

(P.S. this is already what many software developers do on the Windows side)

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
If it was useless or harmful would apple have left it in the App Store?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Rather than be dependent on "System Cleaners" for MacOSX.... I would much rather have ALL developers to just ship their Mac Apps with un-installers.

If the Mac App is a simple install, and it only installs a single App folder (the icon you actually see in the Applications Folder), then it does not need an un-installer. But other bloated applications (Abode, Microsoft, etc) also install a bunch of other invisible system files that are harder to locate or remove. THOSE developers should really be encouraged to provide an un-installer app. It's the right thing to do.

(P.S. this is already what many software developers do on the Windows side)

Adobe is crap, I have to agree here, why can't they get an App to work with everything included in the App folder.
I can understand if Apps also have things installed in the Support folder but that's more or less it.
There are a few Apps out there which needs to startup at boot time, but there aren't that many.
Apple has guidelines for App developers, they should make it mandatory, especially for companies like Adobe.

I have to disagree with you on the windows side, even though they have un-installers this doesn't really does the job for the single reason that the registry is still messed up.
Example, install 100 Applications on windows, then uninstall, the system will be slower than before installing even though "everything" has gone, another reason it does not work is that many times DLL's won't get uninstalled since another Application needs it.
What many people don't know is that if you install an App on windows and then get all the installed items in one folder it WILL work and if you delete the folder everything is gone.(Except registry but run uninstaller first than delete folder)

Critterbug

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Foster City, CA
cleaners, malware, and anti-virus programs

I once installed a very well known program for this usage on my macbook pro, 2009. Totally screwed things up! Stopped running well, couldn't uninstall everything it put in the system, etc...I reinstalled OSX, and back to normal.
I'll never--ever do that again!
But, to each their own. I wouldn't suggest one way or the other. To me it's like believing in 10 year old corn flakes. :apple:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
You don't need anything, this is not a PC which needs maintenance, just leave it as is, OS X runs fine without any maintenance Apps, besides this OS X also has built in scripts which run and do "maintenance".

How about a app for uninstalling programs without leaving (most of the) traces behind? I heard if you just do the drag and drop a app to the trash it leaves junk behind.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How about a app for uninstalling programs without leaving (most of the) traces behind? I heard if you just do the drag and drop a app to the trash it leaves junk behind.

Overall there's not much left, most programs just leave inactive files behind, they just add a bit of lost space, that's it.
Some programs leave Launchdeamons and Lauchagents and the like, these are active but if the OS can't find the executables it will just skip them and looses a tiny amount of time in startup time, but that's just it.
There are programs which have uninstallers, most of them install more stuff and that's why an uninstaller is "needed".

I myself upgraded from 10.0 up until 10.5.8 and never had problems with leftovers but I have to admit that I know more than a regular User and know where apps install their stuff.
An easy way to do so is to have Pacifist and open the installer with that program, it shows all the files and where they get installed.
Most Apps are drag and drop though and can be easily removed by dragging them to the trash, only leaving one or two inactive files in the Preferences folder or your Library.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Overall there's not much left, most programs just leave inactive files behind, they just add a bit of lost space, that's it.
Some programs leave Launchdeamons and Lauchagents and the like, these are active but if the OS can't find the executables it will just skip them and looses a tiny amount of time in startup time, but that's just it.
There are programs which have uninstallers, most of them install more stuff and that's why an uninstaller is "needed".

I myself upgraded from 10.0 up until 10.5.8 and never had problems with leftovers but I have to admit that I know more than a regular User and know where apps install their stuff.
An easy way to do so is to have Pacifist and open the installer with that program, it shows all the files and where they get installed.
Most Apps are drag and drop though and can be easily removed by dragging them to the trash, only leaving one or two inactive files in the Preferences folder or your Library.
I sees it's mostly not needed, still would rather have all the space I can and not have any used on useless deleted stuff through the years. Is there any "Your Uninstaller" type of programs for Mac?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I sees it's mostly not needed, still would rather have all the space I can and not have any used on useless deleted stuff through the years. Is there any "Your Uninstaller" type of programs for Mac?

If you really want one there are several, Appzapper is one for instance.

Me, no, I don't need nor use it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.