Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

confusedconnie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I've been using a 2004 Lenovo PC that ran on Windows XP Pro for about 8 years until just recently when the hinges came apart. My mom got rid of her old MacBook and upgraded to the newest Mac (idek what it is) so I now have her MacBook.

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to get Boot Camp, whether or not I can upgrade OS and do how much do I have to pay -- if anything... I'm not used to Macs at all.

I wanted to install Boot Camp so I could buy BioShock (from the App Store) but I don't even know how to go about getting Boot Camp.

It says you need 10.5 or later to install Boot Camp and it says something about Leopards and Lions and I really don't know what's going on, I just want to play BioShock, I'm just not sure what I need to do.

Below are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.13f3
Serial Number (system): W87080F1WGL
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2D53A57
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

If you couldn't tell already, I'm a complete computer and Apple NOOB. I'll take all the help I can get :D

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You have a late Macbook 13" 2006, it can run OS X version Max. 10.7.4 and the name of 10.7.X is Lion.
Yours came with 10.4.8, 10.4.X is called Tiger.

So, you need to install at least 10.5 Leopard minimum, these disks are expensive and can only be bought on Ebay, they go for as high as $100 or higher.

I would recommend 10.6 Snow Leopard, it is for your Machine most likely the fastest one, it won't cost you an arm and a leg, you can buy from Apple for $ 19.99 online.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

I also recommend to buy a bit of RAM extra, Apple says 2 GB Maximum but actual is 3 GB.
A strange thing is in the below summary it says 4 GB while MacTracker (Application) says 3 GB as seen in Screenshots.

Edit:
Yours is this one:

Model introduced: 2006
Serial number: XXXXXXXXXX
Production year: 2007
Production week: 08 (February)
Production number: 511 (within this week)
Name: MacBook (late 2006)
ModelCode: mb_late_06
Model Number: MA700
Group1: MacBook
Group2: nothing
Generation: 2
Machine Model: MacBook2,1
CPU speed: 2.0GHz
Family name: A1181
Screen size: 13 inch
Screen resolution: 1280x800 pixels
Colour: White
Memory - flavour: DDR2-S-667
Memory - number of slots: 2
Memory - maximum total: 4GB
Memory - largest module: 2GB

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    358.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    328.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

confusedconnie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
You have a late Macbook 13" 2006 or the mid 2007, both can run Maximum 10.7.4 and the name of 10.7.X is Lion.
Yours came with 10.4.8 or 10.4.9, dependable on the model, 10.4.X is called Tiger.

So, you need to install at least 10.5 Leopard minimum, these disks are expensive and can only be bought on Ebay, they go for as high as $100 or higher.

My MacBook is version 10.5.8

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
My MacBook is version 10.5.8

And, if you click Bootcamp it asks for 10.5?

If this is the case then I think that is odd since you have 10.5
Try again and make a screenshot and post it here.

Screenshot:

Command-Shift-4, then hit spacebar and click on the window you want a shot of.

Command is the key with an Apple on it, on the left next to spacebar.

P.S. I updated my last post.

Edit: A good thing to do first is to run Software Update, it is under the Apple in the Menu Bar

Last edited:

confusedconnie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
And, if you click Bootcamp it asks for 10.5?

If this is the case then I think that is odd since you have 10.5
Try again and make a screenshot and post it here.

Screenshot:

Command-Shift-4, then hit spacebar and click on the window you want a shot of.

Command is the key with an Apple on it, on the left next to spacebar.

P.S. I updated my last post.

Edit: A good thing to do first is to run Software Update, it is under the Apple in the Menu Bar

I never tried installing it.
Here's the ss of the Boot Camp requirements:
jv6adx.jpg

But the thing is, the game I want to buy requires OS X 10.6.4 or later. Is it possible to update my 10.5.8 to a 10.6.6 and then install Boot Camp and buy the game or is that not possible in the Apple world?

Also, I ran a Software Update and it said my system was up to date.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I never tried installing it.
Here's the ss of the Boot Camp requirements:Image

But the thing is, the game I want to buy requires OS X 10.6.4 or later. Is it possible to update my 10.5.8 to a 10.6.6 and then install Boot Camp and buy the game or is that not possible in the Apple world?

Also, I ran a Software Update and it said my system was up to date.

As I said before and if you look at the screenshots I provided you can see you can go up to 10.7.4, this means 10.6.X is also no problem.
10.6 is $19.99 in the Apple Store, I provided the link above.
Be aware that Lion (10.7.X) is not really a good OS, it's buggy and one of Apple's worst OS, a bit like Vista but not similar of course.

You might consider A VM though like Parallels but gaming is less good than running it in Windows natively under bootcamp instead of running it in a Virtual Machine.

confusedconnie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
As I said before and if you look at the screenshots I provided you can see you can go up to 10.7.4, this means 10.6.X is also no problem.
10.6 is $19.99 in the Apple Store, I provided the link above.
Be aware that Lion (10.7.X) is not really a good OS, it's buggy and one of Apple's worst OS, a bit like Vista but not similar of course.

You might consider A VM though like Parallels but gaming is less good than running it in Windows natively under bootcamp instead of running it in a Virtual Machine.

So you recommend 10.6 over 10.7? Would it be a better investment to get 10.7 because newer games will require higher OS? Also, what exactly does Boot Camp do? Like, will my computer be running on Windows XP and not Apple? Will I not be able to convert back if I wanted to?

Also, if I buy 10.6, is Boot Camp free or do I also have to pay for that?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So you recommend 10.6 over 10.7? Would it be a better investment to get 10.7 because newer games will require higher OS? Also, what exactly does Boot Camp do? Like, will my computer be running on Windows XP and not Apple? Will I not be able to convert back if I wanted to?

Also, if I buy 10.6, is Boot Camp free or do I also have to pay for that?

10.7.4 is buggy, as I said the worst OS Apple released, but you might be lucky and be able to get 10.8 Moutain Lion, it is NOT officially supported by Apple and needs a hack to install.

Bootcamp is free, it's a built in Application which will help you install Windows on a SEPARATE Partition, but you need windows and windows of course is NOT free.
You also need to boot into windows so OS X is not available and also the other way around.
A Virtual Machine App like Parallels allows you to run Windows Applications in OS X natively and you might consider this, but parallels is kinda expensive.
Besides that if you have Parallels you also need a windows license.
There is also a free VM called Virtual Box, you might have a look at this.

Oracle VM VirtualBox

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Try: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install. You can find this on my Thread "Bootcamp Help" going down the line from your thread. I just finished duel booting a 2006 Macbook with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 & Windows XP. Using the above it worked like a charm.

confusedconnie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Try: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install. You can find this on my Thread "Bootcamp Help" going down the line from your thread. I just finished duel booting a 2006 Macbook with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 & Windows XP. Using the above it worked like a charm.

Where is the option to update to Snow Leopard? Do you just search it in the App Store or what?
And after I update it to 10.6.3, would I then just install Boot Camp (your thread was kind of confusing)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.