Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Nuforce HDP DAC - should I use USB or optical?

I am currently using it with the iMac's optical out, as well as with the front plug when using my excellent NVX Audio XPT100 headphones - the downside is that there is absolutely no configuration possible via the Audio MIDI Setup app, and no volume control (since all of this is handled directly by the DAC).

I am interested in using it with my ALAC music collection, as well as increasingly HD-grade music.

So my question is: should I connect the DAC with USB instead of optical? Can I use optical for the sound and USB for the configuration? Which one normally provides the best/cleanest audio connection?

I am really new to audiophile-related discussions and would welcome any expert advice out there...thanks.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2
alphaod
macrumors Core

They're both digital interfaces, so it doesn't really matter.

I've used USB and I've optical (I've also used RCA coaxial to optical adapters) to my amp; can't really tell the difference.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio