Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaelee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Hi everyone, new user from Tokyo.

I've purchased the new Macbook retina pro 15" last week for working from home. It has been working great and I've just noticed that I even didn't open up the Macbook air 11" (mid 2011) for one week after I got the new macbook pro.

It seems like I won't use the Macbook air at least at home, so started thinking of selling it for the used item shop near home. But I also concern that I might need the laptop for travelling. I usually travel to other Asian cities and work there for 5-6 days, so I have to bring at least one labtop with me in that case.

I know the macbook pro will be working perfect when working from home, but was wondering if Macbook air will be better considering that's easy to bring around.

Will Macbook pro 15" be really not a good option for travelling? If so would it be keeping the Macbook air 11" (mid 2012) only for travelling?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
It depends on your personal needs, if you feel the rMBP is all you need then sell the Air. If you think the rMBP is to big to lug around when traveling then keep the Air. Personally i think having an iMac and MBA is the best combo.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
So YOU are the one overseas, you don't know whether a 15" would be good for travel?

15" OK for First Class, Business Class seats, assuming u don't mind the bulk.

Coach, keep the 11"

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
If so would it be keeping the Macbook air 11" (mid 2012) only for travelling?

I had an MBA 11 which is my back up computer for clinics and I would always take it travelling unless I was going to be away from power for a long time. It is a good travelling computer, although I do not like the screen size. I now have a 13 inch rMBP and that serves the purpose pretty well

Last edited:

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I used to have an iMac and an MBA until I realized that the MBA could act as my desktop and my portable. So I old my iMac. It just seemed utter overkill to have two computers in the house when one would do the job just fine.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I used to have an iMac and an MBA until I realized that the MBA could act as my desktop and my portable. So I old my iMac. It just seemed utter overkill to have two computers in the house when one would do the job just fine.

I use a MacBook Air as my only computer now as well. When at home, it's connected to a 24" monitor most of the time.

I used to use a 15" MacBook Pro, but carrying that along with some camera equipment got to be too bulky/heavy. I can see why many people would prefer the 15" though... especially if they don't need to carry around much else.

To the original poster: If you don't carry much with you aside from the computer, then take the 15" when traveling... but if you have a lot to carry, you might want to keep the MBA around for it's smaller size/weight.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
I take my rMBP traveling. I travel every 3 months between HK and NYC and the rMBP isn't that much of a hassle. With my MBA i tend to bring MORE unnecessary things because there is more room in the bag. :p

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
What do you man as far as 'traveling'?

Taking a computer WITH you on a trip or using it while you're on a trip?

If you just travel to another office or use it at the hotel - the 15" is fine. But for using on the train, on the plane, or in cramped restaurants the 11" is much better.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Hi everyone, new user from Tokyo.

I've purchased the new Macbook retina pro 15" last week for working from home. It has been working great and I've just noticed that I even didn't open up the Macbook air 11" (mid 2011) for one week after I got the new macbook pro.

It seems like I won't use the Macbook air at least at home, so started thinking of selling it for the used item shop near home. But I also concern that I might need the laptop for travelling. I usually travel to other Asian cities and work there for 5-6 days, so I have to bring at least one labtop with me in that case.

I know the macbook pro will be working perfect when working from home, but was wondering if Macbook air will be better considering that's easy to bring around.

Will Macbook pro 15" be really not a good option for travelling? If so would it be keeping the Macbook air 11" (mid 2012) only for travelling?

When you're working at home with your 15" are you sitting a desk or table or using it on your lap?

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I really suggest the MBA 11in. EXTREMELY light and easy to carry.
I carried my MBP 17in couple of times and its really a pain.
11in MBA still has greater specs than most eee PC or iPad.

At my home, I dont use the MBA often as well.
I turn it on couple times at home for syncing and doing light work on my bed.
But to me, the lightness and portability is very important.

個人的には17/15inより11inのMBAの方が旅行や仕事用として好きですねw

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
Try commuting for a week with the MBP, even if you don't use it, just keep it around in your bag. If you don't mind the weight, then go ahead and sell the Air.

Personally, the 11" works perfectly even on a somewhat crowded Yamanote. It's also a perfect fit for the counters at McD/MisDo/Doutor/Excelsior, etc. I'd keep it.

xchaotic

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
It really depends on your usage patterns.
I travel very frequently, but for short periods of time (1-2days) across EU, so:
a) I have to work WHILE travelling, so all those cramped spaces like buses, trains, airport lounges etc
b) I work a little in those remote locations. Very often I am allowed to dock to one of their 27" iMacs or screens
c) Still I spend most of the time working at my home office where it is docked to a 27" screen

For me the above is a perfect setup, but it might be different, if for example you travel somewhere, stay there for 3 months and then come back and then go somewhere else for another 3 months - then I'd say 15" MBP is perfect and just sell the MBA.
In any case which ever you decide, I think no single person needs more than one laptop - it's physically impossible to work on the two at the same time so definitely sell at least one. In your position, I'd probably sell the MBA and buy a nice screen to dock the MBP.

jaelee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Hi

Hi everyone,
Thank you for all your posts and advises.

I've sold my Macbook air, and now only has the Macbook pro retina.

For me, I usually use a laptop at a hotel room, not outside like coffee shops, so I thought that'd be fine to carry it to a hotel during a travel, put it on a desk, then use it for work.

One of my concerns was a weight. So I took a test. I carried the Macbook retina 15" in my backpack, hold in by hands (as you're supposed to do in a crowded Tokyo subway car.) took one hour trip to work and back home at total. It was heavier than holding a messenger back with Macbook air, but it was still okay. I think the weight won't be any problems when having air travelling as well.

Also, Retina display is so awesome especially when reading Japanese and Chinese characters which have a lot of strokes. I couldn't think of other option.

Thanks again everyone, for all your advises. It really helped me a lot when making the decision.

Jae from Tokyo.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Mba 11

I have the 13 MBA and the 11 MBA. The 11 inch is so much better for travel because it fits under the seat in front of you in a bag standing straight up which gives you foot room on either side of the bag. The 13 does not. I have to lay it flat down which gives me almost no space for my feet. At least on Delta.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I had a rMBP and loved it, but like you sort of just used it at home and then decided I wanted to have a larger screen and then the retina part becomes a moot point when I got my new iMac. I like the 11" air for traveling a lot. Its very light and still fully functional

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I have a 15" rMBP and ended up buying an 11" MBA (lowest cost model, 4GB/64GB) for extra portability. I use iCloud, Dropbox and SCP (for sensitive files) to keep them in sync.

My MBP is a powerhouse and runs everything perfectly but when I'm cramped in a datacenter, car, meeting, etc, I need something smaller. Bought the MBA as an open box (for the price of 2010/2011 models used, it wasn't much more for the new proc/gpu/4GB RAM of the 2012) from Best Buy. So far things are working well having both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.