Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Always glad to help! Is there anything else you need? Let me know. My goal is to provide for the PPC community all that I have so that everything can be preserved, though I might take advantage of the PowerPC software servers being created by some of the community members.

Actually, do you have coreplayer?

Cheers, much appreciated.:)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Always glad to help! Is there anything else you need? Let me know. My goal is to provide for the PPC community all that I have so that everything can be preserved, though I might take advantage of the PowerPC software servers being created by some of the community members.

Actually, do you have coreplayer?

I updated my last post, I forgot to say:eek:, I need the server.
I downloaded several Plex server versions, "they" said they should work if you open the app and put it in the Library but it did not work, any idea?

No, I don't have coreplayer, I'll look into it.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Not sure as I don't use Plex. I am still not exactly sure what the app does, all I know is I am collecting PowerPC apps and shoving them on my Mac Pro Server.. I have a lot of apps on the Mac Pro under PowerPC server.. My main everyday machine is the Quad G5 followed by the PB G4 1.67..

However, I might replace the PB G4 1.67 from a main everyday machine to a seldom used machine if I can get this Gateway P-7805u to run Mountain Lion.. I haven't figured out what to do as of yet.

Cheers, much appreciated.:)

Edit: I downloaded it, it is working but I think I forgot to say or ask, I need Plex Server, is this the server?
I need the server to serve to my LG TV.

I updated my last post, I forgot to say:eek:, I need the server.
I downloaded several Plex server versions, "they" said they should work if you open the app and put it in the Library but it did not work, any idea?

No, I don't have coreplayer, I'll look into it.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Not sure as I don't use Plex. I am still not exactly sure what the app does, all I know is I am collecting PowerPC apps and shoving them on my Mac Pro Server.. I have a lot of apps on the Mac Pro under PowerPC server.. My main everyday machine is the Quad G5 followed by the PB G4 1.67..

However, I might replace the PB G4 1.67 from a main everyday machine to a seldom used machine if I can get this Gateway P-7805u to run Mountain Lion.. I haven't figured out what to do as of yet.

This app which I downloaded from your DropBox link is just a kind of player, it can also play content from a network but it needs a Plex Server on the other end.

Now, I have an LG TV, it uses plex player/client, now for this to work I need to have the server running on my PPC Mac, there are builds which included the server inside the App folder and then just move this PPC/Universal Binary to the Plex folder inside the Library folder, I got it to launch but there was no way to add content.

But, no worries, maybe I should just open a new Thread here and asking for the Plex PPC compatible server.

Thanks Perry

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I sent you private message which discusses this matter.. It appears that the Plex version for PowerPC was a generous gift to the community from the developer and lacks several features that the Intel version has. I sent you links to the developer's website regarding this matter.

Good luck getting it to work, though..

This app which I downloaded from your DropBox link is just a kind of player, it can also play content from a network but it needs a Plex Server on the other end.

Now, I have an LG TV, it uses plex player/client, now for this to work I need to have the server running on my PPC Mac, there are builds which included the server inside the App folder and then just move this PPC/Universal Binary to the Plex folder inside the Library folder, I got it to launch but there was no way to add content.

But, no worries, maybe I should just open a new Thread here and asking for the Plex PPC compatible server.

Thanks Perry

R-T-B

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
The PowerPC platform won't DIE anytime soon. IBM still sponsors it in the server field, and uses it on it's high end AIX UNIX and Linux workstations. Linux will likely support it for several decades to come, but yes the machines we are using from APPLE will become useless for internet at some point. Otherwise no, the architecture itself isn't going anywhere. Heck, POWER7 machines are some of the most computationally powerful machines in the world right now. Anyone remember Watson, the machine that took on (and beat) some famous Jeopardy champions? It was PowerPC.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I have to agree with the opening post.

My 2005 G5 Tower is still a good computer 99% of the time, mostly letdown by online issues. Another forum I visit is now having issues, it could be temporary problem but I tired a MBP and it work. As does the WinXP PC we have as a server, which can annoyingly also run the current version of FireFox.

I have an iMac on the way, if Apple ever delivers it!

And what do you know the site is working ago LOL here is the error I was getting.
Configuration: includes/config.php does not exist. Please fill out the data in config.php.new and rename it to config.php

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
I'm as big of a PPC fan as anyone, but my PowerBook 1.67 needed to be superseded by a MacBook yesterday. What surprised me was that it didn't involve CPU intensive programs, just little bugs and general slow-ness that made me switch up. (
I still use my Ole PowerBook once in a while - also 8 Years old - he stay's home now.

Mainly used if I forget to bring the MBP with from the shop.
I can do - and go pretty much anywhere with him -
There might be YouTube type issues - but not a big deal.

I may have done a bad thing - last time I had it running - and downloaded an adobe update - Hopefully it can take a joke.

I take it you are also on 10.4.11 - and unlike the MBP - anytime disc utility is used - it always comes back with a clean report -
non of the trailing nonsense in the reports that one sees on the new ones.

Yes - He's a bit slow - the added ram installed didn't help much.
Although - OWC picked out a SSD that might make it worthwhile.
The Ole guy still looks like new.

CHeers

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In those browsers, does this add-on permanently set the UA to what you want? I'm asking because Safari defaults to "automatic" and I get tired of switching it every time. It's nice to have websites load faster so I think I'm going to stick with using mobile sites as opposed to desktop versions.
The UserAgent Switcher addon is the one I use. It default to the original setting, but only once per session. I.e., if you open the browser, set the UA and then don't quit the UA will be set to that whenever you quit. This particular addon comes with a basic set of UAs, but the support website has a link to a list of further UAs you can download.

Further, as I mentioned it's easy to set your own because it has a custom setting. What I do is visit whatsmyuseragent.com in the browser I wish to copy a UA from. That site gives me the UA, I select it, copy it, go back into the Mozilla based browser and paste this in to the setting in UserAgent Switcher.

Sometimes you want something else though, so doing a Google search for useragents of the type you are looking for (say Firefox useragents) can give you a list of Macs/PCs running various versions of FF. Copy a string and paste into the setting in the addon.

Note. User Agents extensions seem to be a cottage industry for Mozilla addons. So if the addon I linked to is not your preference, there are many, many others. There's at least one out there I've seen that allows you to set a specific UA based on the websites you visit.

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
The UserAgent Switcher addon is the one I use. It default to the original setting, but only once per session. I.e., if you open the browser, set the UA and then don't quit the UA will be set to that whenever you quit. This particular addon comes with a basic set of UAs, but the support website has a link to a list of further UAs you can download.

Further, as I mentioned it's easy to set your own because it has a custom setting. What I do is visit whatsmyuseragent.com in the browser I wish to copy a UA from. That site gives me the UA, I select it, copy it, go back into the Mozilla based browser and paste this in to the setting in UserAgent Switcher.

Sometimes you want something else though, so doing a Google search for useragents of the type you are looking for (say Firefox useragents) can give you a list of Macs/PCs running various versions of FF. Copy a string and paste into the setting in the addon.

Note. User Agents extensions seem to be a cottage industry for Mozilla addons. So if the addon I linked to is not your preference, there are many, many others. There's at least one out there I've seen that allows you to set a specific UA based on the websites you visit.

Thanks for this!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No problem. Again, the one I linked to was personal preference. At the time I was looking it was the only one I could find that would allow me to set a custom UA (handy to fool Facebook or when using Tor).

There seems to be lots more now.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
For those interested and with enough posts... My PPC's have made it to the marketplace. :( The $200 off Best Buy sale was too hard to pass up this weekend, and I nabbed a MacBook Air.

I still have a Lampshade and iBook to play around with though :D It's nice playing the Sims on them.

15" and 12" PBG4 For Sale

----------

I am just chugging along on this PB G4 1.67, still very much useable, shame it has little RAM.

Tidbit: Dreambox also has PowerPC inside.

Have you maxed it out to 2GB? It's not a lot, but certainly will help if you're running anything less.

I have to agree with the opening post.

My 2005 G5 Tower is still a good computer 99% of the time, mostly letdown by online issues. Another forum I visit is now having issues, it could be temporary problem but I tired a MBP and it work. As does the WinXP PC we have as a server, which can annoyingly also run the current version of FireFox.

I have an iMac on the way, if Apple ever delivers it!

It's bittersweet moving to Intel isn't it! Hard letting PPC go, but those shiny new Macs sure are easy to get attached to...

I still use my Ole PowerBook once in a while - also 8 Years old - he stay's home now.

Mainly used if I forget to bring the MBP with from the shop.
I can do - and go pretty much anywhere with him -
There might be YouTube type issues - but not a big deal.

I may have done a bad thing - last time I had it running - and downloaded an adobe update - Hopefully it can take a joke.

I take it you are also on 10.4.11 - and unlike the MBP - anytime disc utility is used - it always comes back with a clean report -
non of the trailing nonsense in the reports that one sees on the new ones.

Yes - He's a bit slow - the added ram installed didn't help much.
Although - OWC picked out a SSD that might make it worthwhile.
The Ole guy still looks like new.

CHeers

SSD would have been amazing, and I hope the next owner of my two PBs pops one in and really gets some great use out of them.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
For those interested and with enough posts... My PPC's have made it to the marketplace. :( The $200 off Best Buy sale was too hard to pass up this weekend, and I nabbed a MacBook Air.

I still have a Lampshade and iBook to play around with though :D It's nice playing the Sims on them.

15" and 12" PBG4 For Sale

----------

Have you maxed it out to 2GB? It's not a lot, but certainly will help if you're running anything less.

It's bittersweet moving to Intel isn't it! Hard letting PPC go, but those shiny new Macs sure are easy to get attached to...

SSD would have been amazing, and I hope the next owner of my two PBs pops one in and really gets some great use out of them.

Lol, yeah I play The Sims Complete Collection on my iMac in siggy!

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
PowerPC on the computer died when the final Power Mac G5 was retired.

Linux on PPC? Yeah... no. It's made great strides, based on my experience with Backtrack 5r3, but nothing compared to Leopard PPC.

Currently I only have my G5 tower as a main machine over a new Intel because of money, or my Macbook due to the fact that it's from 2008 and lacks any slight touch of GPU power which can struggle even at 1280x800 resolution. Plus, I'm yet to hit a barrier that my G5 is actually restricted by. May be the nature of my 'work' but still, I guess the G5 tower suits my needs best, so it's what I've got running the main game.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Unless it kicks the bucket, my eMac will certainly be my main machine by then and beyond. I really don't do anything it can't handle, though it will complain every so often. ;)

Yeah, the ibook G4 fit my needs for the moment. Heck even my ibook G3 was useful last year!

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
My ibook G4 also handles most common computing tasks with ease. With a plethora of good browser choices still (Leopard webkit, Tenfourfox, Camino, Seamonkey, iCab, Omniweb and Roccat) I don't see giving up PowerPC anytime soon. Mactubes and Youview still work the treat. Office 2004 is all the Office I need. Seahorse is still all the image editor I need. Google Earth 4.3 still takes me everywhere I want to go on the planet. I cannot stream HD, Netflix or watch hulu, but I don't do those things anyway.

The day will come when we will have no choice but to go Linux, or give up using our Powermacs as daily drivers. That day is not today, and likely that day is still several years off still. Everyone has their own needs of course, but that's the way I see it.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Unless it kicks the bucket, my eMac will certainly be my main machine by then and beyond. I really don't do anything it can't handle, though it will complain every so often. ;)

Well when you put it that way Cassie, and given the reliability of the Emacs you'll be using that one until about the year 2084 when the robots invade :p

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Well when you put it that way Cassie, and given the reliability of the Emacs you'll be using that one until about the year 2084 when the robots invade :p

It would certainly be nice if I could just use it forever. But I do know that someday, it will no longer be able to handle the ever-evolving computing world. I don't know what I'll replace it with when that day comes, nothing out there today suits me. I just hope that day is far in the future, I love this thing to death. :apple:

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
If you miss PPC architecture, the Mac Pro still has the beauty of it, well, the case at least.
I'd go with one of those. Perhaps a 2008 model.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

The eMacs were fairly reliable, aside from some caps issues. If Cassie's has survived till now, it's probably OK.

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
USA
And so my guess of the death of powerpc by the year 2014 is beginning to come true
I might not use powerpc for my main portable, however my g5 works great. I will continue to use it until it dies. my powermacintosh 6100/60 still runs after 20years so i have high hopes for the future of powerpc. i use it mostly for video editing (720p/1080p), web browsing (youtube works best in html5), minecraft, and any other daily tasks. the only problem i have is with java.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.