Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
Just installed a 500GB SSD (Samsung 840) in my 2011" MacBook Pro. Do I need to enable TRIM support? How would I go about doing that? Is it something I should bother with or are the performance decreases I've heard about just a myth of misinformed tech-heads?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Just installed a Samsung 840 500GB in my late 2008 MacBook Pro (2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1067 DDR3, OS X 10.8.2). Purchased the standard version of the 840 SSD, not pro version. Installed in the main drive bay next to the battery. Getting 210MB/s read, 270MB/s write out of the box without TRIM enabled. Same EXACT speeds with TRIM enabled via Trim Enabler app (after restart). Guess I will leave it enabled for now? Any recommendations here?

Repurposed my old HDD with an OWC Data Doubler in the DVD optical bay. Carbon Copy Cloner to selective clone to the SSD for initial setup without any issues at all. (Never have had any issues with CCC - it's a fantastic program.) Using the optical bay HDD for media, photos, large file storage, etc. Have original system HDD in USB enclosure that I'll be using for backup/clones of the SSD.

So far extremely happy I did this. Quieter, cooler, faster. Battery life has been phenomenal on this older laptop so far. Definitely longer lasting than with HDD/DVD previously. Did not do any hacks for shutting down the HDD sooner, etc. Left power settings alone and managed in the OS.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Just installed a Samsung 840 500GB in my late 2008 MacBook Pro (2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1067 DDR3, OS X 10.8.2). Purchased the standard version of the 840 SSD, not pro version. Installed in the main drive bay next to the battery. Getting 210MB/s read, 270MB/s write out of the box without TRIM enabled. Same EXACT speeds with TRIM enabled via Trim Enabler app (after restart). Guess I will leave it enabled for now? Any recommendations here?

Repurposed my old HDD with an OWC Data Doubler in the DVD optical bay. Carbon Copy Cloner to selective clone to the SSD for initial setup without any issues at all. (Never have had any issues with CCC - it's a fantastic program.) Using the optical bay HDD for media, photos, large file storage, etc. Have original system HDD in USB enclosure that I'll be using for backup/clones of the SSD.

So far extremely happy I did this. Quieter, cooler, faster. Battery life has been phenomenal on this older laptop so far. Definitely longer lasting than with HDD/DVD previously. Did not do any hacks for shutting down the HDD sooner, etc. Left power settings alone and managed in the OS.

trim prevents degradation of speeds over time. If you just installed the drive, no degradation has occurred yet.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
Just a month after my Samsung 840 500GB was installed, it died on me. No volumes recognizable, unrepairable by any disk utility, confirmed by the genius bar as a hardware error. The drive is still under warranty, so I'll get it replaced and sell it with my old laptop, as I just purchased a new one with integrated flash storage.

Vailfox

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Just a month after my Samsung 840 500GB was installed, it died on me. No volumes recognizable, unrepairable by any disk utility, confirmed by the genius bar as a hardware error. The drive is still under warranty, so I'll get it replaced and sell it with my old laptop, as I just purchased a new one with integrated flash storage.

Which version of firmware did you have installed in the Samsung 840 500gb?

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
Which version of firmware did you have installed in the Samsung 840 500gb?

I'm not sure about the version number, but the drive had a boot camp partition. Within Windows, I installed Samsung's Magician software, which told me that my firmware was up to date (this was, of course, before the drive failed)

Vailfox

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Thanks guys.
Is advisable to enable TRIM (with unofficial applications) in my Macbook Pro 2011 with Mountain Lion?
My SSD is 500gb Samsung 840 :confused:

CarreraGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013

Scary, I'm coming up on a month with mine :eek: Any details up to the point of death? I have trim enabled with 64-bit Snow Leopard and no bootcamp so far so good <knock on wood>

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
The best advice you can get is to to keep an up to date back up... this is valid for any HD... You can't predict the day they will fail but you can be ready for it

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
Scary, I'm coming up on a month with mine :eek: Any details up to the point of death? I have trim enabled with 64-bit Snow Leopard and no bootcamp so far so good <knock on wood>

Trim Enabled, 64-Bit ML

Honestly, I think it was random fluke. Samsung has a good reputation with the SSD

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I had the same problem my 840 dead on me, around also a month, i was using Chameleon SSD Optimizer. So not sure should i still use it....

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
So rather than revive an older thread....

I have the Samsung 840 500GB and enabled trim with Trim Enabler a couple of months ago. No problems at all.

I know I checked subsequently and all was still ok, but today I ran Trim Enabler on a whim, and rather than it saying that "everything is super", it said that trim was not enabled.

I enabled it, rebooted, and all is well again.

Any ideas what could trigger trim being turned off?

EDIT: Just did some searching and now see that OS updates can switch it off. Anything else that might do this that I need to watch out for?

Thanks,
R

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.