Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Hi

This is my first post here as brand new mac user. I decided to purchase the new iMac. However not all has gone well, firstly I knocked it off the desk and shattered the screen on New years day. Insurance claim was processed and after an extra £200 excess I had a like for like replacement.

I have woken up this morning and gone to use it and noticed a thumb sized crack / chip on the right edge. I can categorically say that no collision or accidental damage was done this time to cause this damage.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this. I have an appointment with a genius in the store on Tuesday evening and am prepared to fight this very strongly as I am convinced there must have been a manufacturing defect in the glass. Pics are posted below. The side shot shows no damage at all to the casing.

Thanks everyone. :mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,537

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
that's like alot more than a chip!

----------

I don't understand how this is Apples problem ? you knocked off the table ! are you saying you got it replaced ,set it up ,looked fine went to bed ,then woke up with a hole in your screen ? Im not buying it !

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
Unless it was like that out of the box

I don't think you have a chance of convincing any apple store that wasnt accidental damage.
You can't honestly think think they will accept this 'just happened' ?!?

How long have you had this one?

And

Who else lives in your house?

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
I will be honest here, it really does look to me like you have damaged the replacement also. I really cannot see how damage like this could "appear" overnight.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
And honestly I'm quite amazed you managed to get an insurance claim and reorder through this quickly!

That damage didn't happen by itself!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
To the others above, did you look well, it looks to be like a wedge started from the side, so it seems to me something could be wrong here, might be a bad fix by Apple!

And OP, accidents happen so ignore the comments.

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I am telling the truth

I knocked the original one over accessing the USB ports round the back, really awkward to get to and with the mac being quite top heavy it is easy to do though careless of me.

The old one I damaged by accident and got it sorted quickly through aviva who gave me PC world vouchers to the value of the machine. I admitted responsibility and got this sorted out. I am deadly serious when I say I used it last night, left it on overnight in sleep mode and when I went to use it this morning that is how I found it. The casing is totally undamaged, trying to cause damage like that and not touching the casing would be next to impossible as they are so close. When I broke the original the casing was dented to bits from 2 foot fall onto carpet. Is it not possible there was a hairline defect in the glass that has now manifested itself with the glass flexing.:confused:

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
To the others above, did you look well, it looks to be like a wedge started from the side, so it seems to me something could be wrong here, might be a bad fix by Apple!

And OP, accidents happen so ignore the comments.

Accident is the key word

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
that's like alot more than a chip!

----------

I don't understand how this is Apples problem ? you knocked off the table ! are you saying you got it replaced ,set it up ,looked fine went to bed ,then woke up with a hole in your screen ? Im not buying it !

well while it sounds like the op has some type of weird dropsy issue I could tell you my car windshield story.

IMacs and windshields both use laminated glass so they have something in common.

Here goes the story:

My windshield had a close encounter with a deer back in 1997. Score

1) windshield dead
2)deer dead
3)me really cut up about 40 small cuts on my face. Took me years not to flinch when I see a deer!

So after insurance fixed it and me driving the car for about 10 days. I had parked it in my garage which is on the first floor of my home. So that night I hear a snap! It was late I was tired so I said to myself must be dreaming and rolled over back to sleep. The next morning I pull the car out and the windshield had a stress crack. I bring it to the glass guy he looks and says to me you are correct the glass can crack due to stress caused in the lamination of the glass. So I got a free replacement. All was well for 6 days! A truck kicked up a small rock it hit the second new windshield and nicked it. At this point I decided to just drive the car until the nick got worse. The nick never grew bigger and I used the car for six more years until I junked it in 2003.

The point is laminated glass can go pop.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
that does not look like it manifested from a hairline crack. it looks like it was hit by something round , like a ball.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
If I were just hearing this story (nothing personal), I would think someone was trying to open the iMac up. But since you say it just happened on it's own, then you really need to bring that to Apple as it might turn into a bigger problem for more than just you

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Reading round on these forums it looks like most people sadly are pretty cynical about stuff like this. It seems everyone immediately thinks people are lying. I am not, so I suppose it is my word against others.

The screen was intact at 10pm last night and not at 9am this morning. Nobody has thrown a ball at it, moved it or done anything to it in that time. Infact it is stored on a desk in a built in wardrobe with the doors shut. The only environmental effect on the iMac would have been a temperature drop in the night of about 10 degrees or so when the heating in the house is off. It is subzero here at the moment and the room it is in is quite cold as it is above a built in garage. Perhaps it was the bogeyman!

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
Wonders what the tech specs say about operating temperatures

If it was sub zero and that was the cause, however unlikely that seems to us cynics and its outside the range of temps Apple state. I still don't think it's their problem.

Last edited:

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
did you check to see that the inside of the wardrobe doors are not the culprit . and why is your home at subzero temps ?

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Why would I open it up? Plus if I tried there would be other signs of damage where I was prising it. If you look at this side shot you can see the damage starts in the top of the glass and where it is attached there is no damage.

I'm worried that this is a defect and after all the delays hope there is not a major problem with these new macs as a whole.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 516

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
That was the first check and at least it would be an answer. However it would be impossible for them to connect as the mac would have to be in mid air at the point they close. The desk is sunken a good foot inside the wardrobe. :(

----------

Sorry 10 degrees celsius (im metric) thats way above freezing.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Operating temperature: 10° to 35° C (50° to 95° F)

That doesn't mean the glass should shatter at lower temperature. It does mean of course that if your Mac doesn't work at 5° but works when warmed up you can't claim it is defective.

Since this is UK: Read Apple's manufacturer's warranty carefully to see if it is covered. If you think it is not covered (because nobody knows if the screen broke all by itself or got damaged otherwise), you go to the seller. The screen shouldn't crack obviously, and they have to fix it within the first six months unless they can prove that it isn't their fault (statutory rights); after more than six months they have to fix it if you can prove that it is their fault.

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Its about -6 outside at the moment. In the night the house obviously cools from around 20 degrees celsius to about 10 degrees celsius with no heating on.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
did you check to see that the inside of the wardrobe doors are not the culprit . and why is your home at subzero temps ?

Then it may indeed be the bogeyman!

And nobody else lives with you? ( I'd be blaming my teenage son for that if it were me and I knew I hadn't done it!)

Good luck with Apple. Let us know how you get on. As I say. I'd be gutted, no matter what the cause

philmed1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Thanks i'll let you all know what the guys in the apple store say on tuesday. Also thanks for the advice on the UK statutory rights, next stop after no joy from Apple will be PC world.

Still gutted though! :(:(

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I don't understand how anyone can sleep in 20 degree temps . I understand trying to save on heating bills but that is ridiculous .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.