Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
A classical post of "Follow the Joneses."

So if you don't know WHAT YOU WANT, u will forever be looking over the horizon WHAT'S NEXT.

Regret? LOL. We ALL think we know better than the folks to get paid millions and been doing this for years.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Well if the iphone had NFC but didn't have LTE would that increase or decrease the longevity of the device.

And if Apple decide to can the 4" screen and bring out a new one with a totally different resolution, that would definitely make the iphone 5 obsolete. I just have the feeling that Apple are regretting the 4" and in that case its better to can it asap.

What? How would a bigger iPhone make the smaller ones obsolete? The 4" iPhone will be around for a very long time. If a larger screened iPhone is developed it will probably be released in conjunction with a 4" phone. Believe it or not, there are million of people who don't want to carry a phablet around.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Obsolete will be decided by the user. Not everyone cares or is ready to spend money on a new phone every year. Some people are still using their iPhone 3GS because a long as it makes class and still works, that's all they need. I used my treo 600 for four years without issues.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Here's my perspective; take it for what it's worth (probably not a lot...)

Determining device longevity primarily relies upon a few factors - applications ecosystem compatibility, task completion speed, frequency of punctuated delay or lag, physical durability, and systemic compatibility.

The first factor is split between software-side and hardware-side dependencies, and has to do with whether the device will remain compatible with operating systems and applications software down the line. My understanding is that Apple has one of the best track records when it comes to support of older devices on the software side, in this respect. 3-4 years is, to date, roughly where they appear to be right now (with the 3GS being at the main tail end, and limited 3G support). I have serious doubts that Apple will drop software support for the iPhone 5's display form factor in the near or even medium-term. The hardware-side dependency is exceptionally user-specific. If you are mainly making phone calls, web browsing, and checking email, something like an iPhone 5 will be able to handle those sorts of tasks perhaps indefinitely when it comes to this particular side of applications support. However, if you are into playing the latest games, then 3-4 years is probably a stretch due to limitations in processing power, and conceivably display support.

The second factor has to do with an aggregated measure of how long the user will have to wait to complete their various tasks. This is, again, user-specific, although most people probably find they "need" to upgrade once aggregated completion times fall below the average needed to complete daily tasks. My guess is, an iPhone 5 will be fine on this measure for 3-4 years.

The third factor is somewhat different. This is how often the device has noticeable (and frequently considered displeasing) cases of lag time in completing a task. While an aggregated measure of completion may show the device as being OK, frequent cases of lag may nonetheless provoke someone to upgrade because it becomes too annoying to deal with an alternation between fluid operation and laggy operation. This sort of thing typically registers as inconvenient, in the minds of users, more often than a unit that is simply steadily slow in the aggregate. This is where I think 3-4 years may become an issue.

The fourth factor, I'm not sure. Such a large change in chassis design, and combined with the relatively thin structure, means it's hard to tell I guess. I'd suspect it'll be OK, provided one exercises adequate care and perhaps uses a case. Battery life will probably deteriorate noticeably within that interval though.

Fifth factor has to do with adequate compatibility with the cellular system, in this case. Since it does have at least the current generation of LTE, it may be OK 3-4 years down the line. Backwards compatibility with current GSM and CDMA networks (depending on your model) also helps. I'd imagine you'd be fine here.

So, in the aggregate, I'd say it'll last but there is significant potential for having things to complain about on the operability front. Then again, I'm not sure there is a manifestly better choice currently on the market. Samsung's S IV will reportedly have a Cortex-A15/A7 big.LITTLE configuration on the SoC, but Android has a less robust track record of software support in the long term.

For the most part, 3-4 years is asking a lot when it comes to a platform. This is usually only possible once a particular type of device has reached a late stage of maturity when it comes to consumer electronics. I'd say we're nearly there with smartphones, but it's not like where it is with personal computers, for example. Still, I suspect an iPhone 5 would probably be at least adequate for that period of time.

As a general matter regarding NFC and fingerprint reading, I can't see how this would relate to longevity. NFC is a marginal technology; nearly as marginal as fingerprint-reading. These features are only peripherally related to the headlining uses of even smartphones, let alone phones in general. NFC will probably receive greater support over time, but it would have to become ubiquitous to place serious pressure on the viability of the iPhone 5 as an everyday-use device. I don't see that happening within 3-4 years.

Nice post. So at this point would you recommend holding out a little longer for the S4. And does the iphone5 have more longevity than the nexus4. Also keep in mind that the nexus4 is cheaper. Which one would be financially more attractive to get for the long term

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Nice post. So at this point would you recommend holding out a little longer for the S4. And does the iphone5 have more longevity than the nexus4. Also keep in mind that the nexus4 is cheaper. Which one would be financially more attractive to get for the long term

The S4 should be an excellent phone, assuming you don't mind the 5" display. If it really does use the PowerVR SGX544MP for the GPU, that will be a heck of a device in terms of processing power. If Samsung commits to long-term support, or third-party support is acceptable in terms of getting Android updates, it's certainly worth considering, given the comparatively very powerful SoC. Hopefully the battery will be user-replaceable. One of the main concerns I'd have is how the AMOLED display would fare over the long term.

The Nexus 4 lacks LTE (except for the limited case of Band 4). I don't think I'd invest in a phone that lacked LTE for a 3-4 year timeframe, personally. I'd probably get the iPhone 5 over the Nexus 4 unless you have an affinity for Android specifically (some people do). Hardware-wise a quad-core Krait is more powerful than a dual-core Swift but the difference will probably go largely unnoticed in most tasks. The iPhone 5 has the better GPU.

If you don't need to buy right now, I'd probably wait to see what the S4 ends up being, and maybe wait for some analysis on the display and get some idea of what support in the 3-4 year timeframe will be like. Aside from the concerns about the display, it probably will be one of the more viable choices for long-term use due to the A15/A7 config. If you're really patient, you could probably wait for the 5S as well and choose between those two.

In my case, I tend to prefer iOS to Android, and I prefer a smaller phone and to offload larger-display tasks to a proper tablet. So, for me, the iPhone 5 still made more sense overall.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
If longevity is the priority, waiting for the next iPhone would be wise. S models are Apples best. Plus you'd be starting at the beginning of the phones release cycle. Both the 3s & 4s were better than their counterparts.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Get the Nexus 4, it is half the cost of an iPhone so you can just by the newer version of the Nexus in a year or 2.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
My priority is saving as much money as possible. I want to go for the most financially attractive deal.

But I am kind of in a weird situation right now. My smartphone just broke and I kind of want to get a new one but I am skeptical about the longevity of the current devices on the market. I thought about getting a tablet for taking care of my smartphone related tasks but the only one that I want is the ipad mini and that one doesn't have retina. I am willing to wait 1-2 months at most. If its longer than that then I need to look for an intermediate solution such as a tablet.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
So what do you think about the nexus 4?

Th Nexus 4 is kind of different. Although isn't suppose to have LTE connectivity, it is able to connect to some LTE bands. So apparently it has a LTE radio chip.

But yeah!, when it was introduced without LTE it made me lose interest in it.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
My priority is saving as much money as possible. I want to go for the most financially attractive deal.

But I am kind of in a weird situation right now. My smartphone just broke and I kind of want to get a new one but I am skeptical about the longevity of the current devices on the market. I thought about getting a tablet for taking care of my smartphone related tasks but the only one that I want is the ipad mini and that one doesn't have retina. I am willing to wait 1-2 months at most. If its longer than that then I need to look for an intermediate solution such as a tablet.

Most of the top tier smartphones released today have processing power that far exceed what they currently need. Every current app runs without issue on the 4s, and the A6 chip is twice as powerful as it. It will be several years before any apps are released that the iPhone 5 cannot handle.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Although it's a poor decision, there are still people buying iPhone 4's, and those will be around for 2-3 years from now, so it's not like the 5 is going to be obsolete. The biggest driver now is the cellular networks, especially in heavily trafficked areas where you really need LTE, and new bands of LTE as they come online (WCS on AT&T, AWS on Verizon, etc), but considering that the 3GS still fundamentally works just fine, if a little slow, I don't think there's any reason the iPhone 5 won't be just fine in 4 years. Not so for Android phones, their software support pretty much ends after a year to a year and a half, and they are feeling very old and outdated by the end of their 2-year life.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
What will determine whether an iPhone 5 will operate in 3 or 4 years depends upon what frequencies the carriers are using at that point.

For example, the original iPhone will soon be largely obsolete because AT&T is phasing out the EDGE service that model uses. I believe in 2014 they said there will be no EDGE anywhere in the U.S. T-mobile *might* have it here and there.

However, since LTE has just launched I think the iPhone 5 will be useful for at *least* 4 or 5 years. Believe it or not though, AT&T and Verizon are planning to start launching their "5G" networks later this year.

To correct you:

1) Yes, AT&T will kill their EDGE, but not until 2017

2) And two, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint are going to release LTE-Advanced (which is true 4G) and 5G is at least six years from now

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
How viable is it to buy an iphone5 now with the purpose of using it for 3-4 years?

I am asking this because the iphone 5 does not have NFC and a fingerprint reader. There are also a lot of rumors about new iphones and apple switching to bigger screens. Possibly with new resolutions making the 4" screen obsolete. Furthermore the overall consensus on macrumors and just about every other tech site is that 4" is too small. Then there are android devices with 4.5"+ screens with 720p and 1080p displays with the latest CPUs and 2gb of ram, making the 1.3ghz dual core look fairly weak. Will it be able to run ios 7,8 or 9? Finally there is still no jailbreak for the iphone 5 and it might never ever come at all.

It seems to me that the iphone 5 does not have a lot of longevity. Especially not as much as the iphone 4.

Well my 1.3 ghz dual core iPhone 5 beats my brother's quad core Galaxy Note 2 in just about every speed test. Espcially in the browser pinching to zoom and text clearing up is much faster on the i5 then the Note 2. There is no reason why the Droid DNA and these new S4 pro smartphones have checkerboard and white boxes when you pinch to zoom in and out on the browser... Think im lying? Try it , go to a website like cnn.com or some big website and pinch to zoom all the way in. Then pinch to zoom out you will see exactly what im talking about...this doesnt occur on the i5 ever.

Apple's A6 is actually a very fast chip and should be supported by Apple for another 3 major software updates for the i5. LTE also future proofs this phone by alot.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Who keeps a phone 3 or 4 years nowadays :confused:

+1. If you're with one of the major carriers, it's silly not to take advantage of the $450 they're willing to give you back every two years in the form of a highly subsidized phone upgrade. You should be able to sell your current two year old phone for the price of the upgrade and march into the future without any net cost for new hardware (other than your high service contract fees).

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
+1. If you're with one of the major carriers, it's silly not to take advantage of the $450 they're willing to give you back every two years in the form of a highly subsidized phone upgrade. You should be able to sell your current two year old phone for the price of the upgrade and march into the future without any net cost for new hardware (other than your high service contract fees).

So you are saying its better to spend $200 every 2 years (cause its free cash) and waste a fortune on monthly fees for the rest of your life. Rather than an unlocked phone that you can take anywhere you want with a cheap data plan that meets your specific needs.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA

Verizon iPhone 5 16GB with 2GB data plan and 2-year contract:
$199 + ($100 x 24 months) = $2599

Unlocked iPhone 5 with Net10 over two years:
$650 + ($45 x 24 months) = $1730

That's a difference of $870 saved every two years.

Multiply that over 10 years and it adds up to a savings of $4350.

Subsidized phones and expensive monthly plans are the equivalent of high interest rate loans, and the irony is people had to have good credit to get the phone at the subsidized price because of the contract involved. That's what is silly.

It makes much more sense to buy the device outright and take it wherever you want.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
That's crazy. You can resell yours every cycle and actually MAKE money and get a newer device with greater speed and features.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I used my treo 600 for four years without issues.

My treo 650 is what got me hooked on smartphones. I loved that phone. I was just looking & laughing at the tomtom navigation kit for the treo that I still have in my office.
Seems like so long ago that I was using it. But it was only like 6 years ago. It's crazy because we are only at the birth of these devices. In another 4 or 5 years we are going to look back at the iPhone 5 and be slightly amazed that it was so "cool".

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
You are questioning if you can use it for 3-4 years because it doesn't have NFC or fingerprint reading?

Buddy, in 3-4 years the US (and most of the world) STILL won't be using NFC. Fingerprint scanning is an old technology that came in and out because of little usefulness and hurting more than helping. If you think those are dealbreakers, think again.

Agreed. It is likely that your battery will give up the ghost before that time frame.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA

So you are saying its better to spend $200 every 2 years (cause its free cash) and waste a fortune on monthly fees for the rest of your life. Rather than an unlocked phone that you can take anywhere you want with a cheap data plan that meets your specific needs.

No. I agree that if a good, cheap calling/data plan is available from a smaller carrier, using an unlocked phone with that plan will be cheaper in the long run. I just haven't yet found a plan like that that works well for me. If I'm going to stay with AT&T or Verizon, it definitely makes sense to upgrade as often as possible and pocket the subsidy.

Even if you cancel your contract the day after you upgrade and sell the new phone, the early termination fees will be less than the subsidy you just put in your pocket.

Last edited:

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
If you don't upgrade every 2 years, your throwing away money. The subsidized price of the phone is built into the enormous amount of money the major cell phone companies ( Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint) charge per month. If you don't upgrade, your overpaying for a service without the benefit of using a new, subsidized phone.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
If you don't upgrade every 2 years, your throwing away money. The subsidized price of the phone is built into the enormous amount of money the major cell phone companies ( Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint) charge per month. If you don't upgrade, your overpaying for a service without the benefit of using a new, subsidized phone.

Right. Even if you want to keep using your old phone (maybe because it's jailbroken) it still makes sense to get the upgrade right away and sell the phone. You will get very close to the full retail price, pocket the subsidy and restart the upgrade clock right away. Then you can buy a new phone whenever it makes sense for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.