Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apgriff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Hi there,

I have been using an external hard drive to organise some photos, its formatted NTFS I think as I can read it on my macbook and PC.
I have been viewing pics in a finder window and deleting unwanted with the F5 button.
I think I may have pressed it too often and deleted the folder containing all the pics! I cant see the folder in the trash and find that anything I now delete does not appear in the trash although older files and folders are there.
Am I able to get this back?

thanks for any suggestions

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you have Tuxera or Paragon or NTFS-3G or any other driver/software installed to write to NTFS formatted volumes? Otherwise you would not be able to delete items on NTFS formatted volumes or HDDs.

What happens, if you connect the HDD to a Windows computer? Can you see your files or folders?

apgriff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
I have Paragon installed. I did connect to a windows computer but it couldn't see a trash can.

SpetsnaZ99

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
UK
Silly question, (but I have to get the obvious stuff out of the way first).

When you say "I cant see the folder in the trash" is the ex hard drive connected to your mac?

apgriff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Yes I can't see this folder on mac or windows. I think I've deleted lots of unwanted files but didn't notice they weren't going to trash until looking for this large folder. Although older files/folders are in the trash. Would repair in disc utility be worth trying?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Sometimes files/folders get instantly deleted without moving them to the trash, but if this is the case OS X normally tells you they will be deleted immediately.
If something similar happened they are gone and the only way to get them back is recovery software.
You normally get a dialogue box like the one below.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    36 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

apgriff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Yes I was surprised I didn't get that warning and there was no undo delete option either.

Recovery software is probably too expensive for me, are there any free ones or one off trials, maybe through windows?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes I was surprised I didn't get that warning and there was no undo delete option either.

Recovery software is probably too expensive for me, are there any free ones or one off trials, maybe through windows?

Don't think there are any free recovery programs, they all claim to be trail versions but as soon as you try to recover something it won't let you or maybe a tiny bit, I find them all to be kind of "scams".

Windows, don't know.

apgriff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Well I only connected to windows to solve the problem, been using it solely with mac.
Still doesn't warn me when using f5 to delete but they are going to trash

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.