Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DestroVega

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
CT
that rip the DVD to a file that can be edited in iMovie? looked around they were all pretty expensive.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Handbreak will do it for free. I've used it in the past to extract DVD video for use in iMovie.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Looks like none of these will rip a DVD, for use in iMovie without buying another program and this one here

Seems to me you gotta buy the ripping portion, it also seems bloated/complicated.

The ripping is not the problem, MacTheRipper and other free ripping apps should do that for you.
The transcoding (or "converting") is the problem, as iMovie does not seem to take every .mp4 file (due to different codec settings maybe), thus HandBrake might be comme ci, comme ça with its results.
The method I linked to works, though you need some MPEG-2 plugin for MPEG Streamclip of course. Maybe there are ways around this, for example, rip and transcode via HandBrake and one of its presets, then try the .mp4 file in iMovie, if that files does not work, use MPEG Streamclip to transcode to a .mov file using the Apple Intermediate Codec, as shown in the guides I linked to (just replace the video DVD as source with the .mp4, settings stay the same).

You could also use the Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads, as this has been asked a lot, quite a lot, thus the guides I made some years ago.

DestroVega

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
CT
The ripping is not the problem, MacTheRipper and other free ripping apps should do that for you.
The transcoding (or "converting") is the problem, as iMovie does not seem to take every .mp4 file (due to different codec settings maybe), thus HandBrake might be comme ci, comme ça with its results.
The method I linked to works, though you need some MPEG-2 plugin for MPEG Streamclip of course. Maybe there are ways around this, for example, rip and transcode via HandBrake and one of its presets, then try the .mp4 file in iMovie, if that files does not work, use MPEG Streamclip to transcode to a .mov file using the Apple Intermediate Codec, as shown in the guides I linked to (just replace the video DVD as source with the .mp4, settings stay the same).

You could also use the Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads, as this has been asked a lot, quite a lot, thus the guides I made some years ago.

ok thanks a lot for the help.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
if that files does not work, use MPEG Streamclip to transcode to a .mov file using the Apple Intermediate Codec.

From my experience, that is what you have to do, get it in the AIC.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Could be right. It's been a long time since I have done any of that work. Didn't remember having to buy a plugin for it.

If you had Final Cut Studio (pre X) installed, you did not have to, but many people using iMovie do not have FCS installed, and thus need to purchase the MPEG-2 plugin or get it via other means.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
Been using DVD pop and Install the Extras from the website. Works great for me Think the app is $4.00 Its cheap not free but cheap ! Import into any setting too ATV 2 ATV 3 ipod iphone MP4.

has a lot of settings.
Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.