Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Don't tell me you actually pay $10 to get those NFC tags to automate trivia tasks?

I have bought some of those tags and i have one in my car, one on my computer desk and a couple in other places. You can set them up to set your alarm and adjust the volume if you dont want it as loud as you would your ringer as well. The tags has many functions but you wouldnt know if you never tried it.

Ive never used NFC as of yet to make a payment but i have transfered videos to other devices as well as pictures. A 2 hr and 15 min video took under 5 mins to transfer and ive transfered 13 minute video clips(for example) that took about 10 seconds. Its very fast. Oh and a few songs here and there as well.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Apologies. It as dripping with sarcasm. :D

What I meant was that even if someone particularly wanted a replaceable battery, they might be willing to overlook the fact that the iPhone doesn't have this due to all the other benefits associated with the phone.

Due to this, iPhone's success would not be representative of consumer desire for replaceable batteries as they are purchasing it regardless.

Which in turn shows you that a removable battery isn't really an important feature for most consumers. If it was truly important then someone would purchase a smartphone that has a removable battery.

It's pretty clear that companies other than Samsung are not going to feature removable batteries. The ultimate question in this thread is why has Samsung had so much success lately and the truly important factors are marketing, providing two flagships of different sizes, getting their phones on most carriers, among other reasons. Removable batteries is low on the reasons list.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
S3 battery dies, swap it out for a fully charged battery and you're ready to go. What happens when you're out and your One X runs out of battery?

That is cool until you find 9 times out of 10 you are always going to forget taking the battery with you (i find it a hassle to carry extra stuff with me) and find that removable or not, it really doesn't matter.

Been using removable battery phones for so long, from the early cell phones to now the androids, and never bought a second battery. Give me great idle performance coupled with 7-8 hours screen on time, and i don't care if it is removable or not.

Also, i dare you all spare battery enthusiasts to go out, spot everyone carrying a samsung device, and do a survery on whether they bought it because of removable battery or not, and whether they carry a spare or not. I bet you the majority doesn't. Game on.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
That is cool until you find 9 times out of 10 you are always going to forget taking the battery with you (i find it a hassle to carry extra stuff with me) and find that removable or not, it really doesn't matter.

That's an issue with the user and not the device. I bought a spare battery for 50% off on Samsung's website but to be honest, haven't needed it. Get 2 full days of usage from my Note II.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That's an issue with the user and not the device. I bought a spare battery for 50% off on Samsung's website but to be honest, haven't needed it. Get 2 full days of usage from my Note II.

Just like you have to remember a charger you have to remember your batteries. Either that or keep a battery where you used to keep your charger. But really I never had any issues remembering to take a battery with me when I left home. I just kept it in my bag when it was fully charged or put it in my jacket pocket.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
That was you.

I never had that problem when I last had a phone with removable batteries. And I didn't have that problem taking my external battery and charging cable for my iPhones and then Nexus 4. That's a heck of a lot more trouble than taking a small spare battery.

I just got a Note 2 because I love the screen, its features, and its battery life. But I will for sure be getting a spare battery just in case. There is no downside to it and they don't cost all that much.

Michael

YourAvgUser

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Just watching the Falcons/49ers game and saw the latest Samsung commercial...

Might've just been me but WTF did I just watch? I guess they were trying to advertise a business solution and security but WOW

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
As I become less and less enchanted by the Nexus line, I'm really looking forward to the S4. (A close second choice would be the Xperia Z, depending).

Could this be the design cues we'll see?

gp583-jpg.jpg

gp58-jpg.jpg

gp582-jpg.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...--jumbo-sized-Galaxy-S-III-look-alike_id33721

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Just watching the Falcons/49ers game and saw the latest Samsung commercial...

Might've just been me but WTF did I just watch? I guess they were trying to advertise a business solution and security but WOW

Yeah, they really went after blackberry there. And they still threw a jab at apple, at the people that carry both blackberry and iPhone. Though they still keep attacking the users instead of the platforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5fcUf4d-Y3s

YourAvgUser

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Yeah, they really went after blackberry there. And they still threw a jab at apple, at the people that carry both blackberry and iPhone. Though they still keep attacking the users instead of the platforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5fcUf4d-Y3s

I just realized I missed the first 10s of the commercial when it aired and they were talking about Unicorn Apoc as a game they're launching and the smartphone policy. No wonder it seemed so fricken random!

Their commercials are too long though, I will argue. After 30s I was disinterested. Not to mention this one specifically had so much random crap going on, and they didn't need it to show the Galaxy line as a business solution.

PS thanks for the link, was looking for it earlier on youtube.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Posting this here because I was the OP and its the first Samsung phone I have bought since the Blackjack. Figured I'd post here to see how my view has changed since I originally started thus thread.

Well, I was waiting for the HTC One, but got tired of waiting and decided to get a Note 2 to try out, I have a 60 day return window so I'll be swapping for a One unless it gets delayed again or if I end up really liking the note 2.

Had the phone for 3 days, and here are my impressions so far.

1. The design isn't as bad as I thought it was. I still don't like the feel of the glossy plastic and don't like the creaks if I squeeze it, but the look is kinda growing on me.

2. Still don't like touchwiz, but at least its pretty fast, multitasking performs much better than the HTC One X+ I had last week. Also after loading up my own wallpaper and widgets, I'm liking the home screen much better now. Really hated the stock Samsung widgets and wallpapers.

3. After changing the display settings to "natural", the screen looks great. Not as good as the One X or iPhone 5, but still pretty good. In sunlight however it is pretty bad, almost unusable here in sunny Florida.

4. The stylus is really a nice option, but I'm having trouble incorporating it into the way I use a phone, but it performs great.

5. Best performing android phone I have ever used. Everything is a lot smoother and faster than any other android phone I have used in the past. While still not as fast and smooth as the iPhone, it's pretty close.

6. Not enjoying the huge screen as much as I thought I would. I thought having the larger screen would mean things would be easier to read on webpages and I wouldn't have to zoom in as much, but I'm finding text is pretty much the same size, the only real plus is because there is more room, more stuff fits on the screen at once so there is less scrolling. The only real place where I really like having the larger screen is for games, videos, and typing. The keyboard is also more comfortable to use because of that larger screen.

7. Multi-window is an amazing concept, unfortunately none of the apps I use take advantage of it other than chrome. If netflix, hulu, and pocketcast get updated to take advantage of this feature, it would be a game changer for me.

8. I really like having a physical home button, I wish more would incorporate it. Don't like having a menu button instead of multi tasking, feels like a step back. Also don't like having the power button on the side instead of the top, I'm constantly hitting it by mistake.

9. Other than multi-window and s-pen, all the additional features Samsung has included feel too gimmicky and are pretty much useless for me.

Overall, not as bad as I thought it would be. The things I didn't like before owning one, I still don't like, but those things don't bother me as much as I thought they would, and the performance more than makes up for it. I still plan on switching to the One when released, but who knows how I feel when it comes out. If multi-window gets expanded to the apps I use, it might be tough to go back.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
But battery life on the HTC One X was lauded as one of its greatest features and at the time was the longest lasting android handset not made by motorola.

Congratulations, that's ONE HTC phone out of dozens whose battery doesn't completely and absolutely suck.

While sense is a step down from stock android, so is touchwiz, and sense isnt as an aggressive skin as it.

Do you understand how bloated Sense is? Sense and all the useless crap it includes takes up as much space as the whole of the Android OS does (including Gapps.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
with the gs4 right around the corner I would return the note 2 when that comes out,its not as big screen wise but it packs a lot more punch in its size then the s3.

try a different launcher if you don't like the stock touch one,I hear nova and holo or halo is good and looks like stock android

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
with the gs4 right around the corner I would return the note 2 when that comes out,its not as big screen wise but it packs a lot more punch in its size then the s3.

try a different launcher if you don't like the stock touch one,I hear nova and holo or halo is good and looks like stock android

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about it. Still leaning toward the HTC One, but I think I will wait until both are out and make my decision then.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Something has been kind of bothering for the last few months, and that is Samsung's rise in popularity, I just don't get. Samsung devices are horribly built, very ugly, and have crappy displays. Even touchwiz is probably the worse android skin other than LG's. I get that android is pretty darn good and someone picking an android device over the iPhone is fine, but why Samsung when there are so many competent android manufacturers. HTC makes extraordinary handsets, beautifully crafted with high end specs and great displays (HTC One X, Droid DNA). Motorola has great battery life and its handsets feel really solid (RAZR MAXX HD). Sony again has great style and build quality (Xperia). And even LG, they finally made something good with the Nexus 4. But for some reason everyone gravitates towards the samsungs. What am I missing? Is it just because they advertise themselves as the anti-apple so all the apple haters go for them? The only device I can see going with Samsung is the note 2, and that's only because no other manufacturer is making a phone with a display that large.

I think the reason Samsung is becoming popular is because of their marketing scheme and the fact that they are the only real alternative to the iPhone. No other manufacturer comes close to matching the experience of the iphone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Been using removable battery phones for so long, from the early cell phones to now the androids, and never bought a second battery. Give me great idle performance coupled with 7-8 hours screen on time, and i don't care if it is removable or not.

Also, i dare you all spare battery enthusiasts to go out, spot everyone carrying a samsung device, and do a survery on whether they bought it because of removable battery or not, and whether they carry a spare or not. I bet you the majority doesn't. Game on.

At the sometime you need to wonder why mophie juice packs are so popular.

I can't make it through an entire work day without charging my iPhone. And I never go camping/backpacking/business trips/vacations/etc without an external battery charger.

For camping and backpackers external batteries, solar chargers, even thermal chargers that will charge your phone off of a fire are big business.

I have all sorts of gadgets that are just work arounds for a battery that isn't removable.

I agree with you I'm in a minority but these work arounds are big business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.