Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I don't know sales appear to be down lately and more are buying galaxy phones that ever before.

Its true that Galaxy phones are selling really well and might even be detracting from iPhone sales, but looking at Apples product launches with them selling them in there record numbers it seems to be that the iphone is still very successful. We will see for sure when Apple releases their numbers.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Ahhhh, if you haven't noticed, smart phones have neither changed the way we live or work.

You sure about that?

Before a smartphone I used to lug around with me a dumb phone, a camera, AND my mp3 player. Now those are one device. And I take more photos because my camera is with me all the time whereas before that would have been hit or miss.

Additionally, once I take those photos, I can upload and share them right that minute. Liveblogging things and keeping me in contact with people more. I know when friends are at the same venue I am at, like a concert or amusement park, that I might not know about any other way. I can find things easier with navigation. I can talk into it and ask what's around me and find out. I share a grocery list app and a to-do list app with my partner so that we do not duplicate buy at the grocery store and are always in sync with one another. So yeah, it's changed the way we live. It's improved things for me immensely.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
You sure about that?

Before a smartphone I used to lug around with me a dumb phone, a camera, AND my mp3 player. Now those are one device. And I take more photos because my camera is with me all the time whereas before that would have been hit or miss.

Additionally, once I take those photos, I can upload and share them right that minute. Liveblogging things and keeping me in contact with people more. I know when friends are at the same venue I am at, like a concert or amusement park, that I might not know about any other way. I can find things easier with navigation. I can talk into it and ask what's around me and find out. I share a grocery list app and a to-do list app with my partner so that we do not duplicate buy at the grocery store and are always in sync with one another. So yeah, it's changed the way we live. It's improved things for me immensely.

I think he's being sarcastic.

Smartphones have definitely evolved the social and business aspects of life. Is everyone invested in it? Imagine where social networking powerhouses like Facebook and Twitter would be without smartphones?

Look at the app market. Smartphones opened the opportunity for these software developers.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Innovations change the way we live and work. By my definition, multitouch was a game changing innovation. The iphone being the first smartphone with a multitouch screen that made up nearly the entire surface of the device was a game changing innovation. I think "innovation" should refer to something that is truly new. Name one innovation from Samsung Android handsets. I can't think of any. Bigger, faster, more customizable - that's all well and good but I don't believe it's innovation per se.

Smart stay.
Motion control (wave hand over the device when off and it comes on to show notifications).
Smart rotate.
S Pen
Best Shot
Best Faces

The camera features alone give me little hope of Apple equaling let alone surpassing them.

Michael

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I think that Apple still has a smug attitude and will get steam rollered this year by the Galaxy S4. Apple corporate culture is that everything they design is "perfect" and they are slow to adapt to rapid changes. Witness the large number of defectors from this forum, there has been a cacophony of posts about dissatisfaction with Apple and people switching to Android or will be switching when the Galaxy S4 comes out.

Definitely, I and many others have already switched on these boards and the trend will continue this year even stronger.

flawlessvictory

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Smart stay.
Motion control (wave hand over the device when off and it comes on to show notifications).
Smart rotate.
S Pen
Best Shot
Best Faces

The camera features alone give me little hope of Apple equaling let alone surpassing them.

Michael

S Voice
S Beam

to name a few more of Samsung's innovations!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I really love Smart Stay. It's such a forward thinking concept. iOS devotees hate on it because it isn't always effective, yet readily accept SIRI beta with its quirks, and Apple Maps with its failures.

Smart Stay just feels like Samsung is putting the 'smart' in smartphone.

I'm really looking forward to the S4...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Innovations change the way we live and work. By my definition, multitouch was a game changing innovation. The iphone being the first smartphone with a multitouch screen that made up nearly the entire surface of the device was a game changing innovation. I think "innovation" should refer to something that is truly new. Name one innovation from Samsung Android handsets. I can't think of any. Bigger, faster, more customizable - that's all well and good but I don't believe it's innovation per se.

Smart faces is an amazing feature (innovation) I wish my iPhone had, it will take multiple shots and you can seamlessly edit in the best face for a group of people. I seem to always catch someone on a blink.

Personally I'm not a fan of my iPhone camera anyway because of OS restrictions. You have no control of the camera (exposure, iso, etc) so I need to edit so many photos afterward. Apple could do some many innovations in the area, yet we get panorama....blah....

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Okay so there's been so much hype about Android and Samsung in these Apple forums, so I decided that I'd check one out at Best Buy again (I've looked at them before but I thought I must have missed something since everyone is so into the Samsung GS3). So I played around with it a bit and..it still stutters? I know this is a display model, but still it was offputting. I also noticed that the screen is much dimmer than the iPhone and colours are nowhere near as good (to me). That's one of the most important - if not most important - things about a smartphone to me! I'd consider trying out an Android device ONLY if the screen could match the iPhone's..and no, I'm not talking about size :rolleyes:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Okay so there's been so much hype about Android and Samsung in these Apple forums, so I decided that I'd check one out at Best Buy again (I've looked at them before but I thought I must have missed something since everyone is so into the Samsung GS3). So I played around with it a bit and..it still stutters? I know this is a display model, but still it was offputting. I also noticed that the screen is much dimmer than the iPhone and colours are nowhere near as good (to me). That's one of the most important - if not most important - things about a smartphone to me! I'd consider trying out an Android device ONLY if the screen could match the iPhone's..and no, I'm not talking about size :rolleyes:

Everybody says how great the screen is on the S3...better than most android phones. To me it's pretty close to the 5 and with the S4 expected to have an even better screen than the S3 the screen quailty shouldn't be an issue.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Everybody says how great the screen is on the S3...better than most android phones. To me it's pretty close to the 5 and with the S4 expected to have an even better screen than the S3 the screen quailty shouldn't be an issue.

I agree that the S4 might have a better screen, just commenting on what's available now. But i doubt Samsung will ditch the SAMOLED in favor of IPS.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
With this new rumor (on the front page) about apple releasing a 4.8" beast. YES apple is concerned about the S4, and android in general

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
The Android OS would have to improve more before I would consider it, it just isn't quite there yet still, iOS is still the best option IMO.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
S Voice
S Beam

S Voice was a crap Siri copy.

S Beam is great, but it's a shame it only works with other Samsung devices. Would have been better if Google came up with that idea and put it in Android.

Smart Stay and direct dial are innovative.

Plenty of things you can pick other than S Voice which is abysmal :p

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
The Android OS would have to improve more before I would consider it, it just isn't quite there yet still, iOS is still the best option IMO.

People have been saying that for years but just because it's being repeated doesn't mean its true

Last two years, Android has brought out Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean. Apple has added what... iOS6 and 5?

ICS and JB are leaps and bounds above anything before from Android, and I challenge anyone who says the quoted statement above to live with a JB device for a while and tell me it's worse

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
People have been saying that for years but just because it's being repeated doesn't mean its true

Last two years, Android has brought out Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean. Apple has added what... iOS6 and 5?

ICS and JB are leaps and bounds above anything before from Android, and I challenge anyone who says the quoted statement above to live with a JB device for a while and tell me it's worse

I just don't like it, I don't like how it looks, it just never looks as finished, icons annoy me etc, I couldn't live with it.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
S Voice
S Beam

S Voice is a poor Siri clone.

S Beam is useless. It's easier to send someone a file by e-mail or SMS since most people aren't going to have the same phone model as you.

----------

Sure Android has improved leaps and bounds, but that doesn't mean it's better than iOS. It's still not as polished. It has more features but isn't as intuitive. It's a toss-up really. I honestly think it just comes down to preference.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
S Beam is useless. It's easier to send someone a file by e-mail or SMS since most people aren't going to have the same phone model as you.

Plenty of people have some type of Galaxy phone, doesn't have to be the same model. I've received a S beam from a friend of a movie which was about 1.5gb, I have also beamed somebody a zipped file of photos over 3gb. The file transfer was very quick. Try that with Bluetooth and you'll be waiting forever. Also forget about email or SMS.

S Beam is not useless at all.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Plenty of people have some type of Galaxy phone, doesn't have to be the same model. I've received a S beam from a friend of a movie which was about 1.5gb, I have also beamed somebody a zipped file of photos over 3gb. The file transfer was very quick. Try that with Bluetooth and you'll be waiting forever. Also forget about email or SMS.

S Beam is not useless at all.

Yeah you're right, I'll have to rephrase. S Beam would be useless for me since most of my friends have iPhones. But I still don't see the great need for beaming 1.5gb movie files between mobile phones...were you pirating a movie or something? I just don't see the scenario coming up very often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.