Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
iPad 4 Retina:

If you want to watch youtube videos over HDMI out you can't do it properly.

1. If you use the mobile youtube site, you can choose 720p, but it will not play fullscreen, rather it will have the Safari bar at the top and will be not be true widescreen.

2. If you play videos on the youtube site and choose "desktop" it will play true full screen in mirroring but it will not let you choose 720P it will be default 480P or whatever.

3. If you use the youtube app or some other mctube app, it lets you choose 720P but will be black letterboxed and be a tiny fraction of the image in the center.

Apple advertises 720P output on mirroring HDMI out.

But I can't even watch it full screen. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO WATCH FULL SCREEN 720P YOUTUBE VIDEOS ON THE IPAD VIA HDMI OUT.

By now we should be able to output 1080P HDMI out FULL WIDE SCREEN Youtube I am so heated right now. It's not like it doesn't have the power to.

Youre telling me I can RECORD 1080p video footage but I can't watch a simple video at normal full screen capacity? I can surely watch what I recorded on Full Screen so you cant say it doesn't have the power to output at that resolution because it can. I can stream videos at 1080P on the iPad screen so you cant tell me it can't because it can. Yet for some reason it won't let me do the combination of those two??????????

I doubt there is one but does somebody know a work around for this ridiculousness.

Did not find any solutions on the net or anywhere.

What a horrible experience.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've never used HDMI output so don't know if this will make a difference, but I'd try other YouTube client apps, such as Jasmine. They may offer more control over viewing options -- I know Jasmine let's you set a preferred video quality, for instance.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I've never used HDMI output so don't know if this will make a difference, but I'd try other YouTube client apps, such as Jasmine. They may offer more control over viewing options -- I know Jasmine let's you set a preferred video quality, for instance.

Just tried jasmine. Set it to prefer 720P...

Still looks like 480p

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
If you're getting this upset over 720P youtube, you might have bigger problems to worry about.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Used to work fine from my iPad 2, 3, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s

Haven't used HDMI on a device with the lightening adaptor, so i'm not sure whats changed.

I have since got an Apple TV and it's been fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.