Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapathy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I'm looking for something that will allow me to share my USB drives over my wireless network, as I'm tired of having to keep them perpetually connected to my MacBook. If I had a spare computer, I'd use file sharing or a similar method to make them accessible that way, but I just have the one system. I know that an AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule has that functionality, but being a student, I don't have $170-$299 floating around, so I'm looking for alternatives.

I know that Cisco/Linksys makes multiple routers that supposedly can make USB drives accessible over a wireless network, but my only hesitation is this: my friend bought a DLink router last night that supposedly could do the same thing, but to access his drives he had to enter an IP address in a web browser... I'm looking for something that would make the drives appear within Finder if at all possible.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

iapathy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Once the drives are in the network just map them through the Finder Go Menu

Perhaps I'm missing a step. I'm looking for something to share them and make them accessible; you suggestion, if I'm understanding you, would be applicable after they are being shared. Are you saying that may be a solution if I got a router that made you access the drive through a web browser?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I have this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

It does what you're looking for but will only take one drive (one USB port, not sure if using a hub will get you more drives). The drive shows in Finder. I suggest that you set it up to ask for the router password (the admin one for logging in to make changes), otherwise anyone that can connect to your network will be able to see the files (even people you HAVEN'T invited).

It works well (the router itself, not the drive setup, didn't play with that too much) with my MBP and ATV, including AirPlay and Homesharing. What I DON'T think it will do is allow a TM backup to that drive, I still need to play with that some.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
get a router with a USB port, Apple makes them aswell.
plug in your drive.
open Finder, you should see your drive in the shared devices in the side panel.
you may have to enable that view in Finder preferences.

OR
you can share it from your Mac.
Keep the device plugged into your Mac.
In system preferences > Sharing preferences, you can enable File Sharing, then click the plus sign in the File Sharing window and Add the USB drive. then give the permissions you want (ie; Everyone - Read or Read & Write or just Write).

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
eBay an old AirPort Extreme add a 4-8 port powered USB hub.

Trust me it'll save time and money

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.