Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Who cares as long as they release it!
iPhone Max or iPhone XL sound good ;)

yeah, could be good news for many people, but you might as well buy the BB10 or an android device (unless you don't like to root and use a custom ROM. sIII is pretty slow without a custom ROM). my point is that Apple is a follower now rather than a leader. they seem to be playing catch-up now. hopefully they update the OS, because Android and the BB OS seem to be way more efficient with communications. iOS still doesn't have quick toggles or quick reply. the keyboard (and auto-correct) is way less sophisticated and less helpful than something like SwiftKey and the BB keyboard.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
They just changed screen size, and now another iPhone? with a larger screen.

I really don't want the fragmentation in apps to expand even more. I hate having these black bars on my iPhone as is. Adding another resolution would only further this hell of indifferent iPhone apps. Let's just stick to these 2 resolutions please.

Yes what's wrong with a s/m/l format? All my apps are optimized for the current iP5. New screen sizes will not be a problem.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Sorry, I'm not buying these rumors for one minute.

Remember what happened the last time people thought there'd be two iPhones coming?

HORTENSE

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
If this rumor is true, Steve Jobs would had been disappointed. Apple is becoming more stock market driven, rather than innovation driven.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I would buy a 4.8" iPhone immediately. Please Apple!! The rest of the world has big screens on their smartphones. I want that too!!

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
[...]If you want a bigger screen, buy a phone with a bigger screen.[...]

According to this rumor, if I want a bigger screen, I can buy an iPhone with a bigger screen. Sounds good to me.

screw a larger iphone. Just add phone capabilities to the ipad mini.

I might as well wear a fanny pack while I'm using my iPad as a phone, but I'd buy one with phone capability in a heartbeat.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I really, really really really hope apple, doesn't catter to this supposed "demand" for a larger screen. It's completely blown out of proportion by now.

That is the only thing holding many people back from buying the iPhone, and if they offer it as an option they will gain customers

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Buy another Phone? That do have bigger screens?

If I couldn't wait, I'd own a Samsung Note.
I have to admit they are pretty awesome.
Not only the screen but the operating system might be buggy and crash but it looks better than the iOS and it practically doesmore too.
I am disappointed with the iphone 5. In landscape, it is unusable. The screen proportion is great for video but useless for anything else. Try reading a text
Message conversation in landscape. Only one or 2
Lines fit. Very limiting...

but, since I am an apple user since 1986, Once you go Mac, you don't go back!
:)

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
looks like a desperate move

I agree. I mean I know what you mean. Just following the herd now. Public wants bigger screens, we need a slightly bigger one.

RIM is coming with a brand new phone line and OS to match and the all touch version is bigger than the iPhone 5. Samsung and Nokia have had bigger screens for a while. A lot of people probably liked the iPhone screen size up until 4s and even though the phone wasn't for me I appreciated that they didn't get into the big screen size pissing contest. I mean have you see the Note smartphone? It's absurd.

Yet another sign Apple is really starting to falter and lose it's way. They need to lead by design not follow. I hope they don't do something this foolish. Eventually the big screen craze will fade and Apple will be lumped in with all the other has beens and have to once again regain it's place among companies who actually innovate. I suppose it's all cyclical in the end. Apple will keep losing it's edge and become irrelevant then hopefully reinvent itself again.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I'll stick with a 4 inch screen, but if others want one, at least Apple will do it right. It will be narrower, thinner, and lighter than the competition and have a stunning industrial design like the 5.

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
screw a larger iphone. Just add phone capabilities to the ipad mini.

"An iPad... a phone... and an internet communicator.

An iPad... A Phone... and an internet communicator...

An iPAD... A PHONE... AND AN INTERNET COMMUNICATOR...

Are you getting it?? These are NOT three separate devices we're talking about!!!"

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
The only thing Android phones have that interest me are the larger screens.

Apple sells 5 different Macbooks in various sizes and configurations to cater to different needs/wants. Why can't they do the same for phones? One size does NOT fit all!

The difference is that, desktop/laptops have a larger base of resolutions for developers to work with.

iPhones use Applications which are always at FULL resolution, this is not the case with a laptop which is why fragmentation is far less likely to happen, and in a way that influences the user experience negatively. Having black bars on my iPhone though is very frustrating as i'd like my Plants vs Zombies app to make full use of the screen.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
If this rumor is true, Steve Jobs would had been disappointed. Apple is becoming more stock market driven, rather than innovation driven.

Well said. There are companies out there that stick to their guns and stick to what they believe is what needs to be done. Steve Jobs passed away and Apple didn't hold onto that simple concept he had, to innovate not follow. At least I hope if they jump onto the fad of the year big screen phone bandwagon they do something different and fresh and not just a bigger screen. But they just seem to keep following others lately instead of doing what they need to do to stay ahead and stay fresh.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
yeah, could be good news for many people, but you might as well buy the BB10 or an android device (unless you don't like to root and use a custom ROM. sIII is pretty slow without a custom ROM). my point is that Apple is a follower now rather than a leader. they seem to be playing catch-up now. hopefully they update the OS, because Android and the BB OS seem to be way more efficient with communications. iOS still doesn't have quick toggles or quick reply. the keyboard (and auto-correct) is way less sophisticated and less helpful than something like SwiftKey and the BB keyboard.

The only way an iPhone beats android or BB10
Is jailbroken.
I am desperately waiting for the iPhone 5
Jailbreak! It improves everything 10-fold!

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
If I couldn't wait, I'd own a Samsung Note.
I have to admit they are pretty awesome.
Not only the screen but the operating system might be buggy and crash but it looks better than the iOS and it practically doesmore too.
I am disappointed with the iphone 5. In landscape, it is unusable. The screen proportion is great for video but useless for anything else. Try reading a text
Message conversation in landscape. Only one or 2
Lines fit. Very limiting...

but, since I am an apple user since 1986, Once you go Mac, you don't go back!
:)

So instead of buying the better product, you stick with apple buying an inferior product? In the hope that apple changes theirs...?

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Well said. There are companies out there that stick to their guns and stick to what they believe is what needs to be done. Steve Jobs passed away and Apple didn't hold onto that simple concept he had, to innovate not follow. At least I hope if they jump onto the fad of the year big screen phone bandwagon they do something different and fresh and not just a bigger screen. But they just seem to keep following others lately instead of doing what they need to do to stay ahead and stay fresh.

Steve Jobs took one full year to give iOS copy and paste... And 4
Years to give iPhone an extra 1/2" screen...
Apple is too Cautious and with all the money they have, they should hire more developers to test new technology and release it more frequently

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I don't see how Apple offering a little variety would be un-Apple. You mean to say you like everything being dictated 100% of the way?

Maybe they should kill off every Mac except the MacBook Air and tell people it's the MacBook Air or the highway. Even the Air comes in multiple sizes, though!

Likewise, Apple makes 2 versions of the Cinema display - a thunderbolt one and a mini displayport model.

Things I think Apple should do:
* Sell a small (3.5"), and large (4.5"+) size iPhone
* Make 32GB standard, and a standard color - and then sell 16/64GB and other colors as BTO.

If they really wanted to impress me, they'd put an n-trig stylus layer in the iPads. This would allow 3rd parties (or even Apple) to sell a stylus as an option, and not clutter up their precious KISS scheme that sells so well.

dhruhin

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Tim: We need a new iPhone codename, the N9x is getting too boring. How about we name it after something we hate. (Double Down on Secrecy Policy in effect)
Everybody Else: MATH!!!
Tim: iPhone Math it is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.