Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Was anyone else expecting Maps to be improved quite a lot by now? Bars and restaurants where I live are still completely wrong. I've submitted corrections, I'm sure other people have, what's going on?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Was anyone else expecting Maps to be improved quite a lot by now? Bars and restaurants where I live are still completely wrong. I've submitted corrections, I'm sure other people have, what's going on?

They have to make sure the corrections they receive are accurate (not spam). With the reshuffling, they might be adjusting to a different way of doing things.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
As expected, Apple Maps looks prettier than Google Maps.

Content is still poor for where I stay. Can't beat Google Maps, they've got all the contacts for data/businesses. Apple Maps will always be 2nd best.

I just hope Apple lets us choose the default maps application at some point.

Nimravus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah Apple maps and google maps still are a joke compared to paid apps.

For me a good map app should have:
-Great mapping of course
-Great POI information and search
-Live traffic and live crowd sourced traffic
-Database of speedtraps and redlight cams
-Live crowd sourced information of hazards, police, traffic, etc
-Lane level navigation assist (photo realistic a plus) to let you know which lane goes where
-Posted speed limit with warning when you exceed the limit by "X" mph
-Integration with Social platforms for check ins
-Public transit information
-Pedestrian navigation as well as vehicle
-Detailed settings for navigation (such as toll road avoidance, etc)
-Gas stations with crowd sourced live prices

I used to use Trapster, and it's saved me from many tickets with people ahead reporting an active live speedtraps. Also from possible red light camera tickets. I make sure to be careful around those and there re a lot in my area where I work.

What do you all use? And what feature did I miss that you like in a maps app?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

It's hardly surprising that free apps are not as robust as paid apps. I purchased two Garmin apps and have GPS Drive, MotionX-GPS, and Waze. With the exception of sometimes checking traffic with a third-party app I only use Apple's map. The exception was driving across the country before Apple's map I used Garmin's. Obviously my day-to-day needs do not require POI, speed traps / redlight cams / speed warnings , social integration, gas prices, etc. But I believe some of what you listed is in Apple Maps.

Anyway, I use Apple Maps and it does more than what I need it to do so I don't consider it a joke. Turn-by-turn directions was worth the few issues it has.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The thing that I've found interesting is that, at least here, Apple Maps and Google Maps both have the same mistakes. For example, both have a chunk missing from a river and I've found many places where both systems have the same errors.

Edit: I just discovered today that a man-made canal missing from both systems has been there since at least 1987!

Last edited:

Nimravus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Maps are not free. No company can afford to give stuff away with no financial gain. Google gets $ from advertisements so its expected, at least by me to have a maps app that competes with "paid" up front apps. Google and Apple maps fall short in many ways. I use Apple maps because of Siri integration.

Last edited:

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
In my experience, Google Maps sucks, but Apple Maps shine.

A week ago I had a service tech that was a few minutes late. Why? Google Maps routed him to an address 1 mile west of where I live. It's been doing that for 7 years. A week later, a friend that has never been here used his iPhone 5, Apple Maps, and had no problems.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

For me a good map app should have:
-Great mapping of course
-Great POI information and search
-Live traffic and live crowd sourced traffic
-Database of speedtraps and redlight cams
-Live crowd sourced information of hazards, police, traffic, etc
-Lane level navigation assist (photo realistic a plus) to let you know which lane goes where
-Posted speed limit with warning when you exceed the limit by "X" mph
-Integration with Social platforms for check ins
-Public transit information
-Pedestrian navigation as well as vehicle
-Detailed settings for navigation (such as toll road avoidance, etc)
-Gas stations with crowd sourced live prices

I used to use Trapster, and it's saved me from many tickets with people ahead reporting an active live speedtraps. Also from possible red light camera tickets. I make sure to be careful around those and there re a lot in my area where I work.

What do you all use? And what feature did I miss that you like in a maps app?

A long list of requirements, but you ignored a basic one that's missing from both Google and Apple right now - the ability to add multiple stops.

I should be able to either set them from the get go or, while driving to one destination, be able to search for gas/ food/ an address, and add it - while keeping the final destination set.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
A long list of requirements, but you ignored a basic one that's missing from both Google and Apple right now - the ability to add multiple stops.

I should be able to either set them from the get go or, while driving to one destination, be able to search for gas/ food/ an address, and add it - while keeping the final destination set.
Yes! It's almost insane that they haven't added that yet as anyone who has ever gone on a long car ride will have no doubtably needed to use that missing function. Hopefully Ive has the same nitpicks about Apple Maps.

Oh and for the love let us pause/mute navigation! (yes, I know Google Maps has that).

Nimravus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013

Good one! I knew I missed some features... That's why I asked the masses. That does come in handy. Like add multiple stops and have it select the most efficient route, etc.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
No, but I was expecting Siri to not still be in beta. I can see now that both of those have taken a backseat.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Google maps all the way

Google Maps navigation is crap. I tried it on the way back from London to Home and with music playing, the music kept on decreasing in volume even when no instructions were being read, the voice is awful and robotic, and even the maps themselves are slow and almost look like they're running at too low a FPS. POI's and street view are the only decent thing about Google Maps.

Apple maps all the way, except for POI's.

Aug 5, 2012
Google Maps navigation is crap. I tried it on the way back from London to Home and with music playing, the music kept on decreasing in volume even when no instructions were being read, the voice is awful and robotic, and even the maps themselves are slow and almost look like they're running at too low a FPS. POI's and street view are the only decent thing about Google Maps.

Apple maps all the way, except for POI's.

Unfortunately you're wrong on this and i think most normal users here (as in not die hard apple fans) would agree with me.

Last edited:

justinxtreme

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Orlando, FL
Apple Maps is A LOT prettier than Google Maps for sure but it gave me the wrong directions way too many times during my trip from Orlando to New York for New Year a few weeks back.

We took a rest at a rest area a few hours before New York and getting back it wanted us to cross a bridge that wasn't even made for cars, it was just a small narrow passenger bridge.

Getting on the bridge from NJ to NY was a disaster, we wanted to go to NY and go sight-seeing but stay at NJ for hotels since it was too expensive at NY but getting back to NY was horrible. It made us go through the tunnels and bridges five times. Each time there was a $13 toll fee! :(

I like Apple Maps for what it is, the vector-based maps are beautiful and the 3D maps were nice when I experienced them in New York but it's definitely not going to be my next GPS when I go on a road trip again.

Downloading Google Maps helped me navigate around so much more easier. I got to get through the bridge not to just get back on it and get to Time Square.

----------

Locally in Orlando, Apple Maps is just fine, I use to wonder why people were complaining about Apple Maps but apparently in other states it's pretty bad, I can understand why now.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

As some of us said years before Apple Maps even happened, Apple literally cannot build a good maps app. It was always going to be this bad, becase getting good POI data relies so much on owning a major search engine.

There's so many logistical problems that ultimately Apple Maps won't ever work properly, and won't improve significantly unless they dump all the company's resource into it for literally years on end, ruining the rest of the OS.

Those of us who have had a lot of trolling our way for pointing this out were not saying these things to wind people up, or because we're Google fanboys. We just like objective reality.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

Sounds like you all want a replacement to a stand-alone GPS unit.

Don't you think that as part of utilizing third party data, Apple had to agree to limit SOME of its Map functions? Why would TomTom or any other supplier agree to allow that when it would mean there is no need for the high profit hardware they are trying to sell?

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Unfortunately you're wrong on this and i think most normal users here (as in not die hard apple fans) would agree with me.

My opinion is 'wrong' then is it? Am I not entitled to think what I want to think rather than what people tell me to think?

Google Maps iOS needs a lot of improvement.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
People just love to hate apple anything. Haters will always be haters.

Does my posting history suggest that I'm an Apple hating troll, or do you believe that anyone who doesn't think Apple and everything they do is perfect must be one?

As some of us said years before Apple Maps even happened, Apple literally cannot build a good maps app. It was always going to be this bad, becase getting good POI data relies so much on owning a major search engine.

There's so many logistical problems that ultimately Apple Maps won't ever work properly, and won't improve significantly unless they dump all the company's resource into it for literally years on end, ruining the rest of the OS.

Those of us who have had a lot of trolling our way for pointing this out were not saying these things to wind people up, or because we're Google fanboys. We just like objective reality.

Perhaps, but user submitted corrections should help a lot, surely? I can't be the only one to have submitted corrections, surely by now they've received enough to correct a lot of the data, but as far as I can see nothing at all has improved. Very odd.

One thing I'd like to see improved in all maps (Apple, Google, Nokia and Bing are the ones I've tried) is footpath data. None of the ones I've tried have anything like accurate data regarding footpaths where I live (write in the centre of a major British city). I'm not talking secret shortcuts that only the locals know, I'm talking embankments along the river, footbridges, etc.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Sounds like you all want a replacement to a stand-alone GPS unit.

Don't you think that as part of utilizing third party data, Apple had to agree to limit SOME of its Map functions? Why would TomTom or any other supplier agree to allow that when it would mean there is no need for the high profit hardware they are trying to sell?

Note that I mentioned BOTH Apple and Google's current offerings and that's something that Google can certainly implement.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I used Apple maps to get somewhere accurately a few weeks ago. Worked out very well. I still have the problem though where some areas look like a tornado flattened the area.

I hate Google maps and have gone back to using TomTom. TomTom is the only app that I have really enjoyed using all these years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.