Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmmaLouise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Andalucia, Spain
Hi,

Thanks for reading!

I have upgraded to Mountain Lion.... not sure what I was on before to be honest as I remember upgrading to Lion early 2012 but I didn't like it so went back to Snow Leopard....or so I thought.... it was 10.8 something before I upgraded this time.... and it let me upgrade straight to ML.....so maybe I was on L not SL I don't know!

Now I only have 2GB on my early 2009 iMac.... which after some research I now see is probably the problem...

I backup'd properly before upgrading.

I have done a disk repair... I have followed instructions and done something called a PRAM and an SMC reset....

I have ordered more RAM online from OWC but it could take a while to arrive.... in the meantime my computer will hardly let me do anything, which is a pain as I work from home :-(

So my main question is do I be patient and try and get by for the next 2 weeks or do I uninstall ML for 2 weeks?

If I should uninstall....how do I do it from a time machine backup?

Thanks
Emma

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Open Activity Monitor in /Applications/Utilities.
Then post screenshots of CPU and System Memory.

In CPU make sure to select ALL processes from a drop down Menu on Top.

This way we can see if you have problems somewhere like runaway processes or lots of pageouts.

EmmaLouise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Andalucia, Spain
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Screenshots attached :)

Just want to add - I removed nearly everything off the computer before upgrading....so my desktop is clear...am worried about putting any files back on as it is slow enough already!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 15.06.50.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 15.06.50.png
    22 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 15.07.01.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 15.07.01.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 81

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Nothing wrong here, I would just wait for the RAM to arrive.

Actually I wanted to see your processes(All) but I see there is little CPU resources used so you're OK for now.

In the mean time just restart it when it gets too slow to bear, but before doing so you can look at pageouts, if little no need to restart.

EmmaLouise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Andalucia, Spain
Hello,

Thank you :)

Although I think my patience will be tested seeing as I cannot have 2 things open at same time....i.e. if I want to check my mail I have to shut down safari!:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.