Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

View Poll Results: GS3 or Nexus 4?
GS3 20 42.55%
Nexus 4 27 57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:04 AM   #1
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

GS3 or Nexus 4?

I'm looking at buying my first Android phone to use at work alongside my iP5 - while I love my iP5 and can't bring myself to part from it, I feel using two iphones (4S at work) is redundant and I'd like to use the opportunity of having two phone lines to try out some new stuff.

That being said I was all ready to wait for the Nexus 4 because of the price point (I want to stay under $400) but now that I look at eBay, the GS3 comes in at around the same price ($365-$400 for quite a few ones in good condition).

So - which one should I get?

EDIT - keep in mind, this will be an "upgrade" from an iPhone 4S.

Nexus 5 | iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
*nix
macrumors newbie

GS3 - also because of expandable memory.
*nix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
matttye
macrumors 601

GS3, purely because I've owned one and they're really good. Really fast, gorgeous screen, nice features like smart stay, direct call, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:31 AM   #4
bembol
macrumors 6502a

Not having a removable battery of expandable memory doesn't bother me.

Hate to say it but it's LG. I had a Dummy Phone long time ago and it lasted 3-4 months. I just can't drop my money on them even though the nexus is cheap.

If it was Samsung, hTC or even Sony I would've pre-ordered it right away.

I love my Home Theater and never considered or even looked at one.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I have both and will sell one, I just can't make up my mind which one though.
daveathall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

If you vote, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it....

I learn toward the N4 because its vanilla Android and unlocked.

Then again I learn toward the GS3 because of the added features and overall better feel of the phone - and I've been told its simple to remove touchwiz if I want vanilla android.

If anyone has any other pros or cons of either, feel free to chime in!

Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:12 AM   #7
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Go with the nexus 4. It's pure Google experience is only rivaled by iOS. The phones limitations (non remove able battery and no expandable memory) won't be a problem if you're coming from an iPhone and frankly, I think they're over blown. you'll get updates immediately as well and for a while to come. 4.2 is fast and liquid smooth with no bloated skins like touchwiz or sense. The skins are also a reason why they don't get updates as fast. Being locked to a carrier is another. Both are non issues for the nexus.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:12 AM   #8
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembol View Post
Not having a removable battery of expandable memory doesn't bother me.

Hate to say it but it's LG. I had a Dummy Phone long time ago and it lasted 3-4 months. I just can't drop my money on them even though the nexus is cheap.

If it was Samsung, hTC or even Sony I would've pre-ordered it right away.

I love my Home Theater and never considered or even looked at one.
You do realize your comparison is extremely skewed, right? You can't compare a dummy phone from "a long time ago" to a flagship smartphone. It doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post

Then again I learn toward the GS3 because of the added features and overall better feel of the phone - and I've been told its simple to remove touchwiz if I want vanilla android.

What do you mean better feel? I've had both phones, and the Nexus 4 definitely feels like a better built device, and looks a lot better imo. The S3 is curvier on the sides, if that's what you meant by better feel, but the Nexus seems to just be sturdier feeling.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:14 AM   #9
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:

The reasons you state are the reasons that keep me from finally selling one, just when I'm about in "launch" mode, I think about the reasons that I like the other phone.

Where's the bang head smiley when you need it?
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:18 AM   #10
bmt134
macrumors regular

GS3+CM10 > Nexus 4
bmt134 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:31 AM   #11
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Until you've owned & experienced both, as I have, there's no way to fully appreciate the highly superior "Pure Android Experience" afforded by the Nexus line of devices.

Sadly, Apples conservative position, clinging to a small screen & the mantra "you can use it one handed" pushed me towards Android.

That said, what I didn't have a clue about was just how wonderful Android via Nexus is.

I have a Nexus 4 as my primary smartphone (iPhone 5 as secondary ) and my Nexus 7 tablet which is superior to my iPad mini for my preferences.

If as I suspect, others have done as I have after owning every iPhone, Apples slowing losing customers. Their arrogant attitude prevents them from seeing this until its pandemic.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:48 AM   #12
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 View Post
What do you mean better feel? I've had both phones, and the Nexus 4 definitely feels like a better built device, and looks a lot better imo. The S3 is curvier on the sides, if that's what you meant by better feel, but the Nexus seems to just be sturdier feeling.
The N4 is slightly thicker and has a less ergonomic feel in hand. Also the glass is supposedly extremely fragile and so I would compare an N4 with a case versus a GS3 without one (though I might get a case for the GS3 too...)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
The reasons you state are the reasons that keep me from finally selling one, just when I'm about in "launch" mode, I think about the reasons that I like the other phone.

Lol sorry to contribute to your dilemma....the quick updates are a big deal for me (especially having used iPhones) but I hear 4.2 isn't all that great and is pretty buggy?

How are OEMs and carriers getting at releasing updates nowadays....any better?

Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:58 AM   #13
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:

Why dont you use each phone exclusively for three or so days (a week if you're in no rush to decide) and leave the other one switched off, and see which one you manage better with.

----------

Quote:
How are OEMs and carriers getting at releasing updates nowadays....any better?
A bit. Well, Samsung is. They at least get a couple of updates now, which wasn't always the case.

Jelly Beaan announced in June but didn't make onto the S3 until December as far as I know.

You can usually flash a leaked ROM a few months early; I did so in September. This isn't the same as rooting and doesn't void warranty.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:11 PM   #14
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Gs3....
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:36 PM   #15
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Why dont you use each phone exclusively for three or so days (a week if you're in no rush to decide) and leave the other one switched off, and see which one you manage better with.
I have done Matt, I use them for about a week each and then realise that I am still undecided. I didn't find it so difficult to choose between my iPhone 5 and S3, I'm not saying the S3 was better, (It wasn't, I thought the iPhone was superb), it was that on that occasion I preferred the S3.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:39 PM   #16
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
I have done Matt, I use them for about a week each and then realise that I am still undecided. I didn't find it so difficult to choose between my iPhone 5 and S3, I'm not saying the S3 was better, (It wasn't, I thought the iPhone was superb), it was that on that occasion I preferred the S3.
Ahh I thought you meant you had an iPhone and S3, not an S3 and N4

Well with the S3 you can install a stock Android ROM if you wish, but I don't think you can install a Touchwiz ROM on the N4; correct me if I'm wrong.

I would probably just sell whichever I'd get the most money for.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM   #17
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Ahh I thought you meant you had an iPhone and S3, not an S3 and N4

Well with the S3 you can install a stock Android ROM if you wish, but I don't think you can install a Touchwiz ROM on the N4; correct me if I'm wrong.

I would probably just sell whichever I'd get the most money for.
I dont have the best eyesight in the world so preferred the larger screen on the S3, if the iP5 had had the same size I would have probably stayed with it, although I do like widgets and other things on Android.

I'm not confident enough in my abilities to flash/rom or whatever it's called so use stock, and TBH, I'm quite happy that way, I love Vanilla Android but also quite like Touchwiz.

I think it will, in the end boil down to the one which gives me the most money back.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:52 PM   #18
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
I dont have the best eyesight in the world so preferred the larger screen on the S3, if the iP5 had had the same size I would have probably stayed with it, although I do like widgets and other things on Android.

I'm not confident enough in my abilities to flash/rom or whatever it's called so use stock, and TBH, I'm quite happy that way, I love Vanilla Android but also quite like Touchwiz.

I think it will, in the end boil down to the one which gives me the most money back.
At this point - my decision may end up being decided by which phone is obtainable when I actually have the money to purchase it...

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:53 PM   #19
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:

You might end up getting the S4 and selling them both!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:04 PM   #20
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You might end up getting the S4 and selling them both!
Stop it, stop it......you're reading my mind. Don't let the missus hear.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:04 PM   #21
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

I owned/used an N4 for about a month and while I haven't owned a S3, I'm presently using a Note 2 (IMO, essentially a big S3). If in your shoes, I'd probably go with the S3.

I really prefer the philosophy behind the Nexus line--vanilla Android with timely updates, but the terrible battery performance, subpar camera, and to a lesser extent, the buggy 4.2 update and the absence of LTE contributed to a less than satisfying experience with the N4. None of those concerns are an issue on my Note II and IMO, the benefits added by Touchwiz outweigh the cons. I prefer using NOVA launcher anyhow so my exposure to Touchwiz is limited and never laggy. And of course, you always have e option to flash another ROM.

The build materials and feel of the Nexus 4 are great--better than the Galaxy line in my opinion but there was too much working against it that couldn't be resolved with software changes.
tbayrgs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:17 PM   #22
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
I owned/used an N4 for about a month and while I haven't owned a S3, I'm presently using a Note 2 (IMO, essentially a big S3). If in your shoes, I'd probably go with the S3.

I really prefer the philosophy behind the Nexus line--vanilla Android with timely updates, but the terrible battery performance, subpar camera, and to a lesser extent, the buggy 4.2 update and the absence of LTE contributed to a less than satisfying experience with the N4. None of those concerns are an issue on my Note II and IMO, the benefits added by Touchwiz outweigh the cons. I prefer using NOVA launcher anyhow so my exposure to Touchwiz is limited and never laggy. And of course, you always have e option to flash another ROM.

The build materials and feel of the Nexus 4 are great--better than the Galaxy line in my opinion but there was too much working against it that couldn't be resolved with software changes.
I think what you say is quite correct, I do have a feeling that I fell lucky with my Nexus 4 though, battery life is really good for me (I'm not a power user) I haven't used it much over the weekend and today, but still got 21% battery left after charging 2 days 4 hours and 49seconds ago. (Screen on time is only 1 hr 34 min because of low activity over the weekend) Its been on all the time with wifi, bluetooth etc enabled. Not noticed any bugs on 4.2 but probably wouldn't notice anyway. If we had LTE it would be a changer I agree, but neither the S3 or Nexus 4 that I own have LTE, although one can purchase the LTE versions now in the UK. I agree definitely about the build quality.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:23 PM   #23
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

The pure vanilla experience is highly overrated. CM gives you the exact same experience.

If price is no objection then the S3 is hands down the better device. No question about it.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:41 PM   #24
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

GS3

Access to LTE, Touchwiz adds some cool features, expandable storage and battery access. You can replace the touchwiz launcher with Holo HD if you want a stock android look or you can flash an AOSP rom if capable.

The Nexus 4 competes on price but when it is hard to get a hold of (Till mid Feb) and when you can get a GS3 similarly priced why lean towards the Nexus 4.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:43 PM   #25
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Stop it, stop it......you're reading my mind. Don't let the missus hear.
Haha mine nearly killed me when I got my iPhone! Think she was pleased when I gave her the S3 though even though she tried to talk me into selling it

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices