Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Didn't they claim that Ashton was taking the roles seriously?

So Ashton Kutcher is taking the role seriously!! Well, that makes all the difference in the world!!

Now he can tap into that deep wellspring of acting talent...like early Brando or De Niro.

I guess he just wasn't taking any of his other "acting" jobs seriously, and that is why he has, up to this point, displayed no discernible acting talent.

:rolleyes:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
To have these actors at iWorld/Macworld promoting their movie to the fanbase is only a testimony to how small of an ad budget they must have to promote the 8 million dollar film. :(

My opinion is that Ashton should have never been given the role. I look forward to the big budget film by the group that did the Social Network.

It may be a better film, but I'm betting it will be less historically accurate.

Of course they could get Ben Affleck to direct, but he'd just end up telling the story of Bill Gates creating Excel for Mac, embellishing the hell out of it and saying it's about Steve Jobs.

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
I'm not clear why that would be the case. We are talking about Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad (whoever he is). Actors of no discernible talent or history of performances in films of any note.

And they will give the listener some worthwhile insight into the lives of Jobs and Wozniak because they played them in a movie??

..."I'm not a Doctor, but I play one on TV"...Taking advice from that speaker makes about the same sense.

KdParker...I'm not criticizing your post, you are undoubtedly correct. The question is "why?".:confused:

So what you will about Kutcher, but Josh Gad starred in a little Broadway show called "Book of Mormon".

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
"Fred Armisen, of Portlandia and Saturday Night Live, will also be present."

Ya, i'm just gonna be there. No reason, why, just lettin' everyone know.

Wth?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
So what you will about Kutcher, but Josh Gad starred in a little Broadway show called "Book of Mormon".

You are right, I wasn't aware of his Broadway work.

In a feeble defense, my post did say "performance in films of any note".

Just covering up my ignorance...:eek: :D

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I still can't get over their crappy name choice: MacWorld / iWorld. What sort of a name (or TWO names) is that? When you look at it it makes you think "Pick one!". It's like MacRumors being called MacRumors / iRumors - Sure, it logically makes sense, but you don't need to change your good name to a crap name because you've broadened your scopes a bit.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Huh? The point is that he _has_ been accurate about so much.

Actually, you are suffering from what is called the James Randi effect. It is where people remember only the hits and not the misses. Jobs was probably around 50%..maybe a bit lower on what he was 'accurate' with.

Unlike most here, I have no emotional attachment to Jobs or Apple. I really do like my MBPr and OS X, but this is because a team of people worked on it and -sadly- Jobs probably took the credit.

Before you spill kool-aid all over yourself trying to rip this post apart, take a very honest, objective look at Jobs, his life, and his accomplishments. I think you will find the following:

-He was more wrong that you think - start @ 1975 and go to the end of his life.

-He was a terrible human being to other people including his own family - *READ* about him, not just the glowing media articles, READ about him.

-He stole many ideas from his partners, workers, and friends.

-He was narcissistic which always hurt him - his health being a good example.

-He was terrible at business - this video about Next and Steve Jobs is astonishing. The only person in that entire room who understood the reality was Joanna Hoffman (she left shortly after the video). Everything that Steve said in that video was dead wrong. Not just wrong, like I think it might rain tomorrow, but wrong about technology, the business, price, and the company.

Why Ross Perot ever got involved with Jobs is beyond me.

You might argue that hindsight is 20/20 but listen to what Jobs says in the video. I find it hard that nobody sitting there just didn't get up and walk out during his first outline:

GOAL: Create a new OS, computer (hardware), and software that is exponentially better than current systems in 18 months with a total investment of $7 million dollars using 30 or so people. :eek:

The only person who was smart enough to see reality was Joanna Hoffman. She mentions the unrealistic goals of the situation in the video but is shot down by jobs. (She did leave shortly after)

Honestly, looking at the cost of the Mac and development time, how could anyone in that room think 18 months was realistic?

Finally, Gates has done much more for humanity than Jobs ever did. Creating an iPod so you can listen to Rebecca Black is not helping the world at large. Gates and his foundation have really contributed to making the world a better place.

Jobs? Well, he refused to join Warren Buffet's "Giving Pledge", he ended philanthropy at Apple and I honestly don't know of any charity work he did. I don't think he did any...if you have an example list it with sources.

When Gates dies, do you think he'll receive the same kind of adulation that Jobs received? Probably, not. Yet, he has really tried to make a difference in the years since Microsoft. Atonement? Perhaps, but at the very least he is making a difference.

Think different, indeed...

-P

ShawnKing

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
Vancouver, BC
a team of people worked on it and -sadly- Jobs probably took the credit.
Bull. Jobs frequently pointed out how the products Apple made were done by teams of hardworking people. Every keynote/Media event I attended, Jobs took pains to point out the various teams that worked on various products, having them stand for applause at the events.

The idea that "Jobs probably took the credit" is actually backwards. The lazy tech media *gave* Jobs credit for a lot of things and made it seem that everything Apple came up with sprung solely from Steve Jobs' imagination.

ShawnKing

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Macworld is pretty worthless without Apple there anymore.
I would say it was "worthless the way IDG keeps running it as if Apple was still there." The show runners had an opportunity to change/update/reinvent the show when Apple initially left but squandered it and are now playing catch up (and doing it poorly) to the CES iLounge Pavilion in terms of vendors, size and attendance.
So many companies have pulled out since then.
To be fair, lots of new companies have been added, too. But there's no doubt that the attendance of press, exhibitors and showgoers has dropped of dramatically in the past three years.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Can I just ask why this "musician Will.i.am" person is attending?

The only technology he's familiar with is autotune, and even then he doesn't have a good graspe with it... terrible terrible.

Whoa! Wait a minute! You forgot about this:

iam_plus_vintage_front.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.