Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
klang
macrumors newbie

Essential Apps for College?

I recently just picked up an iPad Mini for school. The main plan is to use it for note taking to take the load off the amount of notebooks and books i am going to need to carry since i will be commuting this semester. I did also pick up a wireless keyboard to help with this.

So now my question is, in your opinion, what are the essential apps i should purchase/download that will assist both in and out of the classroom?

If it matters, i am currently an undergrad majoring in Finance and Accounting.

The only apps that i really know of, that i am torn between are Evernote and Noteability.
I will also try and update this post with current recommendations so they aren't repeated too often.

Thanks Guys.

Recommended Apps:
Evernote
GoodNotes
iAnnotate
Dropbox
Pages (only app with footnotes)
QuickOffice
Soulver
Scanner Pro
Byword
iStudiez Pro

Last edited by klang; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
klang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:26 PM   #2
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Hi. Congrats on your purchase. Make sure to do some searching, because this question comes up a lot. Short list of apps I use daily:

Evernote
GoodNotes
iAnnotate
Dropbox
Pages (only app with footnotes)
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
jstnlzr
macrumors regular

note taking on iPad is not fun, at all, for me anyway
jstnlzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnlzr View Post
note taking on iPad is not fun, at all, for me anyway

It isn't for everyone, but I love it. For handwriting, I strongly recommend the Pogo Sketch Pro (the stylus makes a huge difference). For typing, I strongly recommend an external keyboard (it makes a huge difference). By the way, if you want to record lectures, Recorder Pro is free and runs in the background (one of the few that does).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:08 PM   #5
ithinkimalion
macrumors member

Dropbox, Evernote, QuickOffice, Soulver, Scanner pro, Notability, Byword
ithinkimalion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:24 PM   #6
klang
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimalion View Post
Dropbox, Evernote, QuickOffice, Soulver, Scanner pro, Notability, Byword
Dropbox i definitely agree with, question though... Evernote Vs. Notability, is it really worth it to have both? I know Evernote is free but my main use would be note-taking in class and using drop box to access those notes with my laptop at home.

Also, QuickOffice Vs. Pages/iWorks?

I definitely won't be purchasing/downloading both, so which would be the better investment?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:25 PM   #7
ithinkimalion
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klang View Post
Dropbox i definitely agree with, question though... Evernote Vs. Notability, is it really worth it to have both? I know Evernote is free but my main use would be note-taking in class and using drop box to access those notes with my laptop at home.

Also, QuickOffice Vs. Pages/iWorks?

I definitely won't be purchasing/downloading both, so which would be the better investment?
To me they are both different. I archive stuff and Evernote and I take notes in Evernote. Notability I used to annotate PDF files.

Quickoffice works better with the Microsoft document formats. But the iWork suite is a much better selection of apps.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:32 PM   #8
klang
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimalion View Post
To me they are both different. I archive stuff and Evernote and I take notes in Evernote. Notability I used to annotate PDF files.

Quickoffice works better with the Microsoft document formats. But the iWork suite is a much better selection of apps.
As for Microsoft, the only programs on a laptop i would be using are Access and Excel, so would it, in your opinion, make sense to get at the minimum the Pages app to be able to work on papers using the iPad at school and being able to transfer that over to my laptop. My Laptop does already have iWorks installed
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:33 PM   #9
ithinkimalion
macrumors member

Quote:
As for Microsoft, the only programs on a laptop i would be using are Access and Excel, so would it, in your opinion, make sense to get at the minimum the Pages app to be able to work on papers using the iPad at school and being able to transfer that over to my laptop. My Laptop does already have iWorks installed
Yes. Pages is nice. It works pretty well. Grab a keyboard case for your iPad too.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Evernote syncs to any device. No need for Dropbox for it. GoodNotes (or Notability) is great for annotating PDFs or handwriting. When you are finished, just open in Evernote and it is all in one place.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:29 PM   #11
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

You're a finance/accounting major? You need Excel, Word, a calculator, familiarity with database applications, and maybe a Powerpoint application every now and then. Uh, basically, the iPad will be nearly useless (imo), but you can use it for note taking and avoiding carrying around the ridiculously sized accounting textbooks. It can also be used to entertain you while taking tax courses (sorry, I hate tax).

I think accounting is hard to type out in terms of notes (on the fly that is, if you have stuff waiting pre-formatted for you then by all means...), so if you insist on using the iPad, get a stylus and an app that supports that.

I think Evernote, Dropbox, and GoodNotes are good general apps to have around though.
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:01 PM   #12
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Like others said

Evernote for note taking
Notability (for hand writing)
iAnnotate (or GoodReader or PDF Expert, for marking up pdfs)

I also second getting a stylus, and QuickOffice for any MO docs you'll need to work with.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Pinkie Pie
macrumors regular

My professors post notes online in both PDF and Docx formats, so I use Notability to take notes and annotate PDFs and PowerPoints, Pages to edit the docx files, and Dropbox to keep everything in sync. I recommend Inkling, too, if your textbooks are on it (they're probably not, but it's really cool if they are!).
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:49 AM   #14
ethansamuel17
macrumors newbie

Location: 2033 Gateway Place, 5th Floor / Suite 500, San Jose, CA 95110
  • Evernote
  • DropBox
  • QuickOffice
  • iStudiez Pro
  • Dictionary.com
ethansamuel17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:10 PM   #15
klang
macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any feedback on Notability vs Evernote. As of now i will not be getting a stylus, but will be using apple's wireless keyboard to actually take notes, so in this aspect which would be the better option?

Also iAnnotate vs Notability for editing PDFs?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Does anyone have any feedback on Notability vs Evernote. As of now i will not be getting a stylus, but will be using apple's wireless keyboard to actually take notes, so in this aspect which would be the better option?

Also iAnnotate vs Notability for editing PDFs?
Notability is garbage if you want a good PDF annotation app. The rendering of PDF pages lags horribly.

iAnnotate isn't bad. Has a lot of features. The only drawback to it is that if you have text boxes or highlights near the page edges, when you go to turn the page your finger will often "catch" on them and you will end up repositioning the annotation instead of turning the page.

I like PDF Max Pro personally.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Kelly90
macrumors newbie

Notability - for handwriting
Cloudword - for typed text, presentations, and get ready for test (it has great tool to study)

You do not need more than that. Believe me.
Kelly90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:04 PM   #18
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I'm working on my 2nd degree now in Chemical Engineering, and all I use is at this time is:

Calculator Pro
Google Drive
Logtitech Ultrathin keyboard.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:29 PM   #19
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Mixology
Taco Bell
Papa John's

Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:27 AM   #20
Deadp1xel
macrumors newbie

Istudiez pro.
Deadp1xel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:28 AM   #21
Lindseystar
macrumors newbie

Dropbox
Calculator
CloudWord
Calender
GoodReader

Those apps are very essential for college. Each and its benefits to start get ready and finish college on good grade.
Lindseystar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:57 AM   #22
klang
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies, if anyone has any other suggestions keep em' coming!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:07 AM   #23
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

iHandy Calculator HD Pro - It hasn't been updated since last February, but I like how it has a notepad on one side to type notes, and the calculator on the other end. Works great on my Mini.

Noteshelf is pretty good too.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps