Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
My wife is eligible for an upgrade on her iPhone 4 this Tuesday and of course she wants to run out and upgrade it then :)

So I am just wondering what we should expect to pay? Is there an upgrade discount? Do we have to pay the $30.00 activation charge? Do they do a trade in option and take her old phone?

Just want to be prepared before we go to see what I have to say.

Thanks

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
My wife is eligible for an upgrade on her iPhone 4 this Tuesday and of course she wants to run out and upgrade it then :)

So I am just wondering what we should expect to pay? Is there an upgrade discount? Do we have to pay the $30.00 activation charge? Do they do a trade in option and take her old phone?

Thanks

better off selling the phone on ebay after you get the new iphone than trading it in. You will get more money. Verizon will not waive the activation fee as easily as AT&T so you will most likely have to pay the upgrade fee.

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011

Thanks
You will pay $199-iPhone 5 16gb $299-iPhone 5 32gb or $399 iPhone 5 64gb (assuming she wants a 5) you will also pay an upgrade fee of $30 but you may be able to call CS and get it waived. Also, I think the trade-in needs to be done online. You usually receive a verizon gift card in about 3 weeks(I did when there was a trade in promotion) and you can use it to pay the bill or when you purchase another phone

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
You will pay $199-iPhone 5 16gb $299-iPhone 5 32gb or $399 iPhone 5 64gb (assuming she wants a 5) you will also pay an upgrade fee of $30 but you may be able to call CS and get it waived. Also, I think the trade-in needs to be done online. You usually receive a verizon gift card in about 3 weeks(I did when there was a trade in promotion) and you can use it to pay the bill or when you purchase another phone

She wants the 16GB...

Do I call CS first to try and have the fee waived? The CS fee is the $30 upgrade fee?

Thank you guys for your help.

EDIT: Is there a new every two discount at all? Is there any reason to upgrade at Apple or Best Buy?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I think u should get the phone, then call CS and ask them to waive it. They most likely will if u have an excellent history with them (no late payments, multiple years with VZW, etc). Also, DO NOT trade her 4S. If its a 16g 4S u can sell for ~$250-$300 (depending on condition) on ur own very easily. Just list on CL and you'll get hits within an hour or 2. I sold mine (mint condition 32g) for $350 a month ago. You'll get no where near that if u trade.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I think u should get the phone, then call CS and ask them to waive it. They most likely will if u have an excellent history with them (no late payments, multiple years with VZW, etc). Also, DO NOT trade her 4S. If its a 16g 4S u can sell for ~$250-$300 (depending on condition) on ur own very easily. Just list on CL and you'll get hits within an hour or 2. I sold mine (mint condition 32g) for $350 a month ago. You'll get no where near that if u trade.

Its just a 4... My friend just told me they gave her $120 for hers.

Thanks so much for the help!

tboyd37

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2012
brownsville pa
i traded in a 16gb iphone 4 in december & received a gift card for $120.. this was done at a corporate store & the rep immediately applied the gift card to my account instead of just giving it to me(no big deal but i wasn't sure if they would do that or not)

the $36 upgrade fee is different.. i've heard that basically verizon will not budge on this fee no matter what.. i feel this is stupid myself(but what do i know, im only the customer :confused:) you can try to sell it for a bit more if the phone is still in good condition(also if by chance your 4 is a 32gb then you will probably be able to score $150-200) hope this helps you out with your questions..

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
i traded in a 16gb iphone 4 in december & received a gift card for $120.. this was done at a corporate store & the rep immediately applied the gift card to my account instead of just giving it to me(no big deal but i wasn't sure if they would do that or not)

the $36 upgrade fee is different.. i've heard that basically verizon will not budge on this fee no matter what.. i feel this is stupid myself(but what do i know, im only the customer :confused:) you can try to sell it for a bit more if the phone is still in good condition(also if by chance your 4 is a 32gb then you will probably be able to score $150-200) hope this helps you out with your questions..

Thanks

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, unlike AT&T, it seems (based on a long thread about that here), Verizon won't do much to offset the $30 upgrade fee. So, now instead of getting some money towards getting a new phone, like New Every Two (NE2) which used to give $100, then $50 or $30, depending on your plan, not only are you not getting any extra discounts, but you get to pay the carrier for the privilege of upgrading and singing up to stay with them for 2 more years. Makes total sense, right? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.