Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I think it was an estimate by Saurik that 7-10% of unique iDevices installed cydia at one point or another, and I bet many of these are not hardcore jailbreak fans.

Right. Like I am a jailbreaker, and have helped a few friends jb their iDevices over the years. But I only count myself as one out of four or so Cydia installs that are hanging by a thread for the latest jailbreak release to tweak my new phone. And I bought an iPhone 5, so Apple has my money already!:p

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
It was not an estimate, it was research done by a reputable company but it was 6 - 12%

So the question is - how many of those people would stop buying Apple products if jailbreaks were made functionally impossible?

Like in my case, I would need to balance my desire to have a jailbroken phone with the ease of synchronization that an iPhone offers (I have an iPad I use for work).

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
So the question is - how many of those people would stop buying Apple products if jailbreaks were made functionally impossible?

Like in my case, I would need to balance my desire to have a jailbroken phone with the ease of synchronization that an iPhone offers (I have an iPad I use for work).

I don't even believe those numbers and if they are true I would estimate over half of them jailbreak for piracy reasons.

Also you have to also factor in when was this research done. Now your seeing more veterens and baby boomers starting to use iPhones which can skew the numbers

----------

According to this 6.7% of phones are jailbroken

http://appscout.pcmag.com/none/272667-ny-times-6-7-of-iphones-ipods-are-jailbroken

This was in 2009 so I would imagine that number has shrunk as there are now less reasons to jailbreak (free unlocks, installous, etc...)

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
I don't even believe those numbers and if they are true I would estimate over half of them jailbreak for piracy reasons.

You can believe or disbelieve what you like. The reasons are debatable, hopefully the numbers that do it for piracy are nowhwere near what you suggest - I wish Apple would do more to combat piracy.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
You can believe or disbelieve what you like. The reasons are debatable, hopefully the numbers that do it for piracy are nowhwere near what you suggest - I wish Apple would do more to combat piracy.

I hate the thought of people piracing apps but I think that it should be obvious that we should be able to tweak our themes.

If only Apple could let us do that then the jailbreak would serve no purpose.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It was not an estimate, it was research done by a reputable company but it was 6 - 12%

After a JB is released it creeps up to 12% but when a new device is released it drops as low as 6%

Dhlizard posted a link to the talk he gave a couple of years ago at what has become jailbreakcon.

It was a great day, fantastic to meet so many great people.

A pity MN didn't go last year, but he really doesn't like people 'idolising'him - he will talk to anyone who wants to learn but really doesn't like people coming to see him for who he is rather than what he knows.

Doesn't matter. An even smaller fraction of such users will buy or not buy an iPhone based on a jailbreak.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
I hate the thought of people piracing apps but I think that it should be obvious that we should be able to tweak our themes.

Obvious to who? If Apple allowed that they would open up more exploits, I don't believe they will risk that. iOS is very safe for a reason.

----------

Doesn't matter. An even smaller fraction of such users will buy or not buy an iPhone based on a jailbreak.

That is very true, most iPhone users dont even know what a JB is.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Wouldn't it be funny if the 6.1 update patched every single exploit?

----------

They also theoretically had an iPad 3 untethered jailbreak on launch day, yet it took over 3 months for itto be available publicly. Don't raise your hopes too high folks.

jeegnesh

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2012
Is there any answer to whether we can upgrade to 6.0.2 because once 6.1 releases we would not be able to and if the JB is for 6.0.2 only at that point I take it folks on 6.0 cannot jailbreak after holding out?

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
Is there any answer to whether we can upgrade to 6.0.2 because once 6.1 releases we would not be able to and if the JB is for 6.0.2 only at that point I take it folks on 6.0 cannot jailbreak after holding out?

I could be wrong, but I think 6.0.2 only patched a wifi issue, so unlikely there were other changes

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Obvious to who? If Apple allowed that they would open up more exploits, I don't believe they will risk that. iOS is very safe for a reason.

I doubt that. if they handle tweaks the same way they handle apps they wouldnt open themselves up to any dangers

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
What Apple needs to do is, just like OSX, have the option to enable/disable 3rd-party apps downloaded from the internet. That way, people who care about tweaks can enable 3rd party app and download apps from the internet (instead of Appstore). But I know that they won't do it because it would cut down on their 30% revenue from apps.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
What Apple needs to do is, just like OSX, have the option to enable/disable 3rd-party apps downloaded from the internet. That way, people who care about tweaks can enable 3rd party app and download apps from the internet (instead of Appstore). But I know that they won't do it because it would cut down on their 30% revenue from apps.

This is a fine example of why the statement, "Apple leverages its control over the iOS platform to unfairly exclude competing distribution channels for software on that platform," is true.

Or more succinctly, Apple is abusing its monopoly control over iOS to prevent anyone else distributing apps.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004

Yup, I wouldn't need to jailbreak if Apple allowed these apps:

LockInfo - place all info on the home screen. emails, sms, calendar.
3G Unrestrictor -- I have a limited data plan, why should apple restrict me from downloading more than 20MB apps?? or using high def youtube?
BiteSMS - Apple, where is the quick reply????
Winterboard - why not allow me to theme my desktop??
Screenrecorder - i like to make training videos of using the iPhone.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

3G Unrestrictor -- I have a limited data plan, why should apple restrict me from downloading more than 20MB apps?? or using high def youtube?
Is 50MB for apps now. Also, no one wouldn't need to jb if their fav apps went official ;)

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden

Wait what? 3G unrestrictor lets you have an unlimited dataplan with your carrier? o_O

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
No! It just lets you use FaceTime or iTunes over 3g etc. Good for att customers because they do not allow FaceTime over 3G

I thought AT&T expanded FaceTime over cellular for all tiered plans just not unlimited ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.