Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Well, there was the annual holiday break Apple takes, I think it's about a week

Ok, fair enough ...

They are probably going to add another language to Siri and have this as a big feature for 6.1. Similar to last year with Japan (Japanese).

I am guessing Brazil (Portuguese) and maybe Portugal (Portuguese) is comming for 6.1.

I would think that is mainly in the backend and not require too much change in iOS itself.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
No, and neither do you.

We can only go on what they include in release notes. Based on that, Apple fixed one bug in 6.0.2 - for wifi.

From the 6.0.1 (which you seem to ignore) release notes:

About iOS 6.0.1 Software Update
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

• Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air
• Fixes a bug where horizontal lines may be displayed across the keyboard
• Fixes an issue that could cause camera flash to not go off
• Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks
• Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances
• Consolidated the Use Cellular Data switch for iTunes Match
• Fixes a Passcode Lock bug which sometimes allowed access to Passbook pass details from lock screen
• Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meetings

Now that's 8 separate bugs - but note the bolded word - "including". They only include prominent bugs, that doesn't mean there is more, but it certainly does mean there may be more.

Also, this doesn't include the security side of the update - which for iOS 6.0.1 was (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5567).

Kernel

Available for: iPhone 3GS and later, iPod touch (4th generation) and later, iPad 2 and later

Impact: Maliciously crafted or compromised iOS applications may be able to determine addresses in the kernel

Description: An information disclosure issue existed in the handling of APIs related to kernel extensions. Responses containing an OSBundleMachOHeaders key may have included kernel addresses, which may aid in bypassing address space layout randomization protection. This issue was addressed by unsliding the addresses before returning them.

CVE-ID

CVE-2012-3749 : Mark Dowd of Azimuth Security, Eric Monti of Square, and additional anonymous researchers

Passcode Lock

Available for: iPhone 3GS and later, iPod touch (4th generation) and later, iPad 2 and later

Impact: A person with physical access to the device may be able to access Passbook passes without entering a passcode

Description: A state management issue existed in the handling of Passbook passes at the lock screen. This issue was addressed through improved handling of Passbook passes.

CVE-ID

CVE-2012-3750 : Anton Tsviatkou

WebKit

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: A time of check to time of use issue existed in the handling of JavaScript arrays. This issue was addressed through additional validation of JavaScript arrays.

CVE-ID

CVE-2012-3748 : Joost Pol and Daan Keuper of Certified Secure working with HP TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative

WebKit

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: A use after free issue existed in the handling of SVG images. This issue was addressed through improved memory handling.

CVE-ID

CVE-2012-5112 : Pinkie Pie working with Google's Pwnium 2 contest

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
iOS 5.0 (October 12, 2011) - 5.1 (March 7, 2012) - Almost 5 months

iOS 6.0 (September 19, 2012) - ?? As of now it's been almost 4 months

So this isn't really anything new, and definitely nothing to be concerned about. I'm not sure I understand your point, then?

True, but iOS 5 wasn't buggy as hell, and didn't cause very poor battery life.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I didn't say this is exclusive to iOS 6. I've noticed the pattern developing over the years. 4 months to fix simple bugs isn't good enough. Not even close. I say that as one of Apple's most loyal customers.

I have an iPhone 5, iPad Mini and 3rd generation iPad and do not have any bugs on any of them. I also know 3 people with the iPhone 4S and one person with the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Every device is running iOS 6.0.1/.2 and none of them have any bugs that need fixing.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I have an iPhone 5, iPad Mini and 3rd generation iPad and do not have any bugs on any of them. I also know 3 people with the iPhone 4S and one person with the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Every device is running iOS 6.0.1/.2 and none of them have any bugs that need fixing.

Lol every iOS version is the same for each person. You just haven't had the misfortune to encounter anything significant yet. I've had loads of problems that require resets on all of my devices, and so has everyone else I know. Why just this afternoon my iPhone decided to display a really washed out screen to the point where I couldn't see the icons, and no it wasn't brightness either.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland

I hate to disappoint you, but I can tell you of at least one bug that affects every iOS 6 owner.

On the lock screen, album art isn't correctly displayed when playing music.

There are many more, but in an effort to avoid feeding the trolls who have hijacked the thread (and indeed this forum, in recent years) for the purposes of demonstrating their skills as keyboard ninjas, I'll refrain from listing them. A quick browse on Apple's forums will satisfy their needs, if they truly exist.

Shishu

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
I would think that is mainly in the backend and not require too much change in iOS itself.

Agreed, however Apple has typically presented new Siri features as a part of new iOS releases (as if they were features of the OS itself).

With nothing new in betas everything (at least imo) is pointing to another language for Siri as a new major "feature" for iOS 6.1.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
we need 6.1 because of the LTE for a dozen carriers out there pronto!

and we do need 7.0 because Scott's not there anymore and we do might need some jailbreak scene tweaks that could fix the 6.0 boringness plus with 7.0 the maps need to start being usable

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I hate to disappoint you, but I can tell you of at least one bug that affects every iOS 6 owner.

On the lock screen, album art isn't correctly displayed when playing music.

There are many more, but in an effort to avoid feeding the trolls who have hijacked the thread (and indeed this forum, in recent years) for the purposes of demonstrating their skills as keyboard ninjas, I'll refrain from listing them. A quick browse on Apple's forums will satisfy their needs, if they truly exist.

I understand your point but it doesn't affect me. My devices may have that problem, but I do not really listen to music so it does not affect me as a user.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The updates aren't fun like they used to be years ago...now, the updates are just bug fixes...nothing new and exciting. Even with 6.1, judging from the betas...nothing to excite you. I guess I'm saying that because I've been using the iPhone since 1.0.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
The attitude from some on this board is appalling these days. It's a discussion board, for exactly that, discussion. Not for intentionally trying to cause arguments.

I agree with you. Justnthoughtnid postntomletmyou know, since there are so many rude posts arguing with you.

The updates aren't fun like they used to be years ago...now, the updates are just bug fixes...nothing new and exciting. Even with 6.1, judging from the betas...nothing to excite you. I guess I'm saying that because I've been using the iPhone since 1.0.

... and we do need 7.0 because Scott's not there anymore and we do might need some jailbreak scene tweaks that could fix the 6.0 boringness plus with 7.0 the maps need to start being usable

It's an OS, it's not supposed to be fun, exciting or interesting, it's supposed to get out of the way and let you use your computer!

JXChain

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
I agree with you. Justnthoughtnid postntomletmyou know, since there are so many rude posts arguing with you.

It's an OS, it's not supposed to be fun, exciting or interesting, it's supposed to get out of the way and let you use your computer!

okay, people needs to stop saying this, it's getting old.

sure, an OS doesn't need to be fun, but how about some inconveniences of iOS? (no settings toggle, same old keyboard that's now a joke compared to other ones available on other platforms..etc)

Surely a company with 140 billion cash can do more than releasing a POS called iOS 6?

----------

The beta 4 still has some bugs like out of bonds image on facetime, and sometimes when rotating the iPad the image just disappears.
I really hope that they have something up their sleeves.

beta 4 has some glitches in the music app, the song names dont update when playing songs within an album, though it only happens once in a while

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
okay, people needs to stop saying this, it's getting old.

sure, an OS doesn't need to be fun, but how about some inconveniences of iOS? (no settings toggle, same old keyboard that's now a joke compared to other ones available on other platforms..etc)

Surely a company with 140 billion cash can do more than releasing a POS called iOS 6?

Well that's like you haven't even read what I wrote. The problems you're describing aren't a matter of being fun or exciting, they're issues of functionality, which are exactly what I think OS updates should be about. I wasn't saying iOS shouldn't change, I was saying it shouldn't change for the sake of being fun, or interesting, or exciting, or for the sake of change, but of course it should change for the sake of improvement. It was people calling it boring, as if that were a bad thing, that I was taking issue with, not people calling it flawed. Kinda sounds like you agree with me.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I agree with you. Justnthoughtnid postntomletmyou know, ...

And that is an example of the problems caused by making me hold my iPhone 5 uncomfortably in order to be able to reach the top with my thumb - I now keep hitting n and m when going for the space bar! I am holding it wrong, but they made me! :p

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
First of all, they are currently working on 6.1, NOT 7.0!

First of all, they are currently working on 6.1, NOT 7.0! Second of all, they gave us Apple Developer Program Members (Also known as the ADC Program) IOS 6.1 Beta 4 on December 17th, 2012, and it is set to Expire on 01/28/2013 @ 12:00 GMT Time Zone, which would leave all of us ADC Members having the choice of either Disobeying Apple's Rules and Downgrading to IOS 6.0.X through using Device Firmware Update Mode, or leave IOS 6.1 Beta 4 on our Devices and let them Go Into Recovery Mode Next Monday!

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
First of all, they are currently working on 6.1, NOT 7.0! Second of all, they gave us Apple Developer Program Members (Also known as the ADC Program) IOS 6.1 Beta 4 on December 17th, 2012, and it is set to Expire on 01/28/2013 @ 12:00 GMT Time Zone, which would leave all of us ADC Members having the choice of either Disobeying Apple's Rules and Downgrading to IOS 6.0.X through using Device Firmware Update Mode, or leave IOS 6.1 Beta 4 on our Devices and let them Go Into Recovery Mode Next Monday!

P.S. I can also assume that if they do have the GM Seed ready, that they are just simply NOT giving it to us ADC Members First is due to the fact that some Untrustworthy ADC Member is always Leaking the GM Seed to all of the Usual File Sharing Websites so as a Result they are planning to give us ADC Members the GM Seed at the same Time and Date that the General Public gets it. :(

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This must be the longest we've went without a point update to iOS. Is it because they're working flat out on the next iOS 7, or just sheer laziness? Glaring bugs have been unresolved from day 1 of iOS 6.

Thoughts?
Here's my take on it.

Before buying my iPhone 5, I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 6. Save for the obvious hardware / component differences, I did experience a lot more bugs than past upgrades.

However once my iPhone 5 arrived, the amount of bugs and annoyances is very minimal. Other than the out of box scratches, my 5 has been quite good. Especially call clarity & speed of operations.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Here's my take on it.

Before buying my iPhone 5, I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 6. Save for the obvious hardware / component differences, I did experience a lot more bugs than past upgrades.

However once my iPhone 5 arrived, the amount of bugs and annoyances is very minimal. Other than the out of box scratches, my 5 has been quite good. Especially call clarity & speed of operations.

well the iPhone 5 had its fair share of bugs too
1. broken OTA
2. keyboard flickering
3. wifi drop
4. LTE data leak
5. album art misplacement in the lock screen
6. 'Purchased' section in the app store crashes (still happens...today :rolleyes:)

mjahrami

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Bahrain
Can't Wait

I think the next major update will be something big, something diffrent, I'm sure they're working hard on iOS7 so that it looks like something new to all users. by the end of January, iOS will be the oldest Operating System out there in the market once the BB10 is released so I dont think Apple will sit just like that with their hands on their cheeks.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I'll bet ios 7 becomes more like android in order to cut down on jailbreaking...

Toggles, brightness slider, and possibly a live weather widget might be the highlights.

Nothing radical...

masterjohn321

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
I'm no expert on Mac., but sometime within the last 6 months I recall hearing one of the more experienced Mac. users chuckling about this, and pointing out that other JREs are about to become available for OS X in any case. Personally I wish that Sun had always insisted on supplying, and taking responsibility for, JREs on each platform that Java was intended to run on

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Lol every iOS version is the same for each person. You just haven't had the misfortune to encounter anything significant yet. I've had loads of problems that require resets on all of my devices, and so has everyone else I know. Why just this afternoon my iPhone decided to display a really washed out screen to the point where I couldn't see the icons, and no it wasn't brightness either.

I've had the screen issue since my 4S on iOS 5. I thought I was the only one to experience it. It's so weird! I have no idea what is causing it. Usually it happens when I try to wake my phone from the home button, it takes longer to respond and than it usually wakes to a super dim screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.