Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Have got so used to my mini, a work colleague brought in his full size iPad today, I hadn't picked one up for months and god it felt Huge!

Can't see me ever going back to a full size iPad now.

Just waiting for the dream mini with Retina now!

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
I went from an iPad first generation to an iPad mini and it was such a big upgrade. The mini is faster the screen looks better even though the screen on my first generation did not look bad to me. I have an iPhone 4S with the retina display and I don't see a lot of difference with screen. I guess it is noticeable on an iPad with retina display. After purchasing my mini I picked up my first generation and almost dropped it because it now feels like a brick.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
My plan was to buy a Mini now and get the iPad 5 when it cames out.

It must be VERY light, VERY thin with a VERY small bezel, compared to the size because once you use a Mini, the actual iPad looks like a brick, it becomes secondary even the Retina display...

Let see what Apple can make, otherwise I'm going to change my iPad Mini only with iPad Mini 2.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Completely agree.

I had the first 3 generations of the iPad before upgrading to the Mini.

I held the iPad 4 for the first time in an Apple store last week, I was shocked at how big, bulky and heavy it felt.

No way I could ever go back now, Mini is the future.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Don't hold it in your hands. Lay the iPad down on a big conference table, and start browsing PDF files and replying emails in a meeting. You'll like the full size screen a lot more.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I went from an iPad first generation to an iPad mini and it was such a big upgrade. The mini is faster the screen looks better even though the screen on my first generation did not look bad to me. I have an iPhone 4S with the retina display and I don't see a lot of difference with screen. I guess it is noticeable on an iPad with retina display. After purchasing my mini I picked up my first generation and almost dropped it because it now feels like a brick.

It's marketing. Apple wanted you to believe that Retina is everything with the iPad 3, now they want you to believe that size is everything (Mini), but some still insist on Retina. (Notice capital R, Apple has brainwashed me to into thinking a generic word is trademarked or something). Truth is, "retina" isn't even as necessary as people are led to believe. After using the Mini for a while, the difference is definitely noticeable going from the mini to the 3 or 4, but that's to say that it makes any difference in actual every day to day use.

Reading on the mini, I don't stop and say "damn I wish these pixels were closer together". I mean, I can still read it, so its a non issue.

Don't hold it in your hands. Lay the iPad down on a big conference table, and start browsing PDF files and replying emails in a meeting. You'll like the full size screen a lot more.

But why, when I can carry around a slightly larger MBA 11" and have 10x more capability?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
While I would love for the full-size iPad to get lighter, I do like the bigger screen size. It's just so much easier to see things and hit touch targets on the bigger screen. I do use the mini now to take with me when I go out, but if I could only have one iPad, I'd definitely stick with the full-size.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Just waiting for the dream mini with Retina now!

You are going to be waiting forever then.

Because the mini will Never have a Retina Display.

Things are going to IGZO.

IGZO is better then Retina, and dont tell me its still Retina.

Because its IGZO.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
When the ipad '5' is released watch everyone go back to the massive big screen monstrosity that is the big ipad, rationalising its lighter weight and other such cosmetics.

Apple have got this.

Seriously though, utterly no appeal for a mini at all. Again, its personal choice, whatever suits your life style. Sitting on the sofa, I'll be damned if I'm going to read comics and browse the web and blog on a mini when I could do it with superiority on an ipad 4.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
IGZO is better then Retina, and dont tell me its still Retina.

Because its IGZO.

Nö, IGZO is an abbreviation for Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide. And Retina is a marketing term for high pixel density, high enough so you can't determine single pixels from a certain distance.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
I only have a big iPad, although we do have an iPad mini lying around the house too. I have to be honest, I like the bigger one better. I don't take my iPad out of the house much, so as a device to watch movies or surf the web, I just like the bigger screen.

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
But why, when I can carry around a slightly larger MBA 11" and have 10x more capability?
Then don't. But also don't pretend like that matters to everyone else. I'd rather use an iPad than a MacBook Air when away from home, even in spite of it having "10x more capability" (whatever that even means).

----------

Seriously though, utterly no appeal for a mini at all. Again, its personal choice, whatever suits your life style. Sitting on the sofa, I'll be damned if I'm going to read comics and browse the web and blog on a mini when I could do it with superiority on an ipad 4.
Try it. I think you'll find you won't be damned. You'll just be, "hey, this works too."

People get so rigidly opinionated over the simplest of things!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

For me, it's because I don't want the keyboard -- my primary use for the iPad is to read (ebooks, web articles, rss feeds, forums, etc), and for that, the keyboard is unnecessary and gets in the way.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
For me, it's because I don't want the keyboard -- my primary use for the iPad is to read (ebooks, web articles, rss feeds, forums, etc), and for that, the keyboard is unnecessary and gets in the way.

I agree with you whole-heartedly; my point was: if you're going to primarily use it on a desk, professionally, why wouldn't you invest in a more capable device?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
.. for you. Enjoy your Mini, iPod Touch, or whatever other device is "the future" for you. I'll enjoy the full-size iPad for my use case.

Full-sized tablets will still excel in several areas where a Mini tablet simply will be ridiculous. My friend uses his iPad consistently for jotting down notes during college lecture (using a stylus). The full-sized iPad is perfect for that. The Mini? Uhhh... you won't have enough screen space to write down a lot of notes (per page).

I appreciate that the Mini is a "surprise success" for Apple. I'm happy that Apple got that form factor just right. But there will still be situations where the full-sized iPads are better-suited.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Full-sized tablets will still excel in several areas where a Mini tablet simply will be ridiculous. My friend uses his iPad consistently for jotting down notes during college lecture (using a stylus). The full-sized iPad is perfect for that. The Mini? Uhhh... you won't have enough screen space to write down a lot of notes (per page).

I appreciate that the Mini is a "surprise success" for Apple. I'm happy that Apple got that form factor just right. But there will still be situations where the full-sized iPads are better-suited.

Yep. Handwriting is one of my use cases. I also use the tablet to read PDFs of journal articles, and because a page displays (almost) perfectly on the big iPad screen, it is definitely the best device for me. I also use the iPad in portrait mode to write and read other things. I like the extra screen real estate, and everything (external keyboard, incase origami workstation, iPad, and stylus) packs nicely into my man bag. If I had a Mini, I'd still be carrying the bag, and would have saved a few ounces, but everything else would be less enjoyable, especially the blurry screen.

So, I also think it is really cool that people are enjoying their purchases and that Apple is having some success with the Mini, but I don't think their enthusiasm about "the future" of where the tablet is headed is warranted.

But, if they are right, and the Mini is where Apple ends up putting its effort (kind of how they have left behind the iPod in favor of the iPhone and Mini), then I'll just stop upgrading or switch to Android. For some of us, the little form factor has its uses (I have a 7" Nexus, for example), but the full size iPad is ideal (for our use cases).

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Yep. Handwriting is one of my use cases. I also use the tablet to read PDFs of journal articles, and because a page displays (almost) perfectly on the big iPad screen, it is definitely the best device for me. I also use the iPad in portrait mode to write and read other things. I like the extra screen real estate, and everything (external keyboard, incase origami workstation, iPad, and stylus) packs nicely into my man bag. If I had a Mini, I'd still be carrying the bag, and would have saved a few ounces, but everything else would be less enjoyable, especially the blurry screen.

So, I also think it is really cool that people are enjoying their purchases and that Apple is having some success with the Mini, but I don't think their enthusiasm about "the future" of where the tablet is headed is warranted.

But, if they are right, and the Mini is where Apple ends up putting its effort (kind of how they have left behind the iPod in favor of the iPhone and Mini), then I'll just stop upgrading or switch to Android. For some of us, the little form factor has its uses (I have a 7" Nexus, for example), but the full size iPad is ideal (for our use cases).

Blurry screen? I think you need your vision tested!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.