Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I got the January 2013 issue of Crutchfield, looking at all the "stuff", and noticed on the back cover what looks like a late 1980's Macintosh.
CrutchfieldApple.jpg

a) What Macintosh is this? A MacClassic?
b) Is Crutchfield doing a ripoff on Apple Computer by removing the Apple logos?
c) Do you think Apple is "ok" with a big company like Crutchfield doing this?
Odd's of Apple doing something about it....

You can see it online also, go here to the back page
Is Crutchfield doing a ripoff on Apple Computer?

Last edited:

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
It's just an image representing a computer from 25 years ago that works better to convey that concept graphically than a CRT + tower would. Many uses of apple computers in media omit the logo when they want to convey that It Is A Computer as opposed to something about it being a Mac. It isn't a "ripoff", it's just what happens when a computer company puts so much emphasis on industrial design.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Is mtbdudex doing a ripoff on Apple computer?

In your avatar...

b) Is mtbdudex doing a ripoff on Apple Computer by not removing the Apple logos?
c) Do you think Apple is "ok" with a user like mtbdudex doing this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 5.25.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 5.25.35 PM.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 705

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
In your avatar...

b) Is mtbdudex doing a ripoff on Apple Computer by not removing the Apple logos?

nicely played!

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
In your avatar...

nicely played!

Wow - I feel the love here. Me using a image I took and have copyrights to is vastly different than what Crutchfield did.

Crutchfield is a business making $ from the likes of using said images in their sales magazine. It's used to enhance their brand image, their longevity in the market early adopter of online ordering, etc.

The took the logos off, why not leave them there?
The Mac was/is a unique box shape, not like the utility pc's.

For my image, it's the 1st Mac, which I bought in 1984.
My avatar background is posted here, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/809335/
Here's a blast from the past, that's me circa Oct 1984 going to Engineering school.

My 128k Mac, yes that is MacPaint (gotta be version 1.0?) you see onscreen. I used it and MacWrite for report writing, MacBasic for programming.

This was a self-portrait I took for one of my "fun" non-engineering electives, B&W Photography. I developed this photo myself in the "real" chemical darkroom.

MikeMac128k.jpg

For me, I was learning darkroom basic techniques at this time also, which always intrigued me and was fun to do/experiment with.

I had played with the stuffed bear be during the shoot, in/out, besides that this was my real college study table exactly.
25 years ago........
My 128k Mac was delivered 10/1984, ordered thru U of M education program thru inacomp, I still have that receipt, the original; plastic box the systems disc's came in/manuals/etc. Sadly the 128k mac, which was upgraded to a MacPlus, is long gone. I was a member of MacTechnics in AA also 1986-ish thru mid 1996.

I'm guessing most of you here have not created any original IP and had it used w/o permission, so I'm more sensitive than you.

Just because something is done, does not make it "right", ethical, or acceptable.
Yea - I NEVER downloaded from Napster either.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I'm guessing most of you here have not created any original IP and had it used w/o permission, so I'm more sensitive than you.

Just because something is done, does not make it "right", ethical, or acceptable.
Yea - I NEVER downloaded from Napster either.

Downloading a song/movie from Napster is different from using a computer on an ad. I'm pretty sure your picture didn't get permission from the makers of the bear, curtains and the lamp. :D

I think you are confusing this with copyright.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My guess is they wanted to represent a mid 80s home computer and removed the Apple icon so as not to advertise for them.

Would Apple have an issue with this? I don't know, but my guess is that they know everyone knows this is an original Mac, don't mind, and even if they did, would not care to go to court over it.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
The took the logos off, why not leave them there?
I suspect they have to take the logo's off - otherwise they are at risk of implying backing from Apple. I'd further guess it's a licensed stock image, personally, but neither of us know that.

A) that is completely irrelevant
B) again - you have no idea that is the case. Personally I have been in this situation. You do appear to be more sensitive than me, I guess some of us just try to be a little more thick skinned.

Last edited:

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
b) Is Crutchfield doing a ripoff on Apple Computer by removing the Apple logos?
c) Do you think Apple is "ok" with a big company like Crutchfield doing this?
d) WGAF

I choose option "d."

Attachments

• oh-the-huge-manatee.jpg
    oh-the-huge-manatee.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 107

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
This kind of stuff happens all the time, I'm surprised that you haven't noticed it. Watch the TV for a bit and you'll see commercials using debranded MacBook Pros everywhere. Even in TV shows and movies, they have Apple computers that are obviously Apple computer but they aren't branded.

479d1292701113-so-cool-pear-notebook-beyond-apple-microsoft-clip_icarly.jpg

I can't think of any other specific examples but watch the TV for a bit and I guarantee you'll see something that was obviously designed by Apple, whether it be in a banking advertisement, insurance advertisement, etc...

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Cutchfield?!? it's like the JC Whitney of electronics.

seriously, does anyone actually use these sites anymore... and if so why?

really... inquiring minds want to know! :confused:

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
way back catalog machine.

...I bought the stereo in my car from them a few years ago.

Um yes Crutchfield is very popular especially with the car audio scene.

ok. got it. thing is, i also lusted over every catalog, and bought my car audio stuff from them in the 80's. yeah, i'm old like that. :eek:

i just didn't get that they were still THAT place and doing the same thing. most of the the catalog companies that i drooled over are long gone. they quit sending me catalogs LOOOOOOOng ago. guess i looked to much and didn't spend enough...

my mistake, went an looked and they are a few buck cheeper than amazon on the next thing i plan to add to the mini-van...

Thanks! and who knew?!?

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
ok - guess you guys/gals are right I kinda got mixed up with generic image usage of a existing product and copyright usage of an image that you hold copyrights too.

This stems from one of my image's being used on the web in gazillion of places w/o my permission nor consent.
No%2520authorized%2520usage%2520of%2520my%2520image.JPG

When I sent an email to Adam he did take my image off his article - not before it was on there for 2 days, I kept the email exchange between us also.
my image is this one, NASA APOD Aug-5-2011, http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110805.html
A few sites asked and paid me small $ for its usage, other non profit sites I let them use it for free.

Google image search finds many things....https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&tbo=d&q=mike+rosinski&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSXRpbCxCo1NgEGgIIAgwLELCMpwgaNAoyCAESDLAE7QWFBYQFiwXuBRog9GgAY3dwh3aweYyQepaGoJBloFd2-5Or5kd_1bJu31bEMCxCOrv4IGgoKCAgBEgQwoZVVDA&sa=X&ei=kmoCUe21LqKRygHhjYHIBw&ved=0CCkQ2A4oAA&biw=1878&bih=907

Last edited by a moderator:

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
ok. got it. thing is, i also lusted over every catalog, and bought my car audio stuff from them in the 80's. yeah, i'm old like that. :eek:

i just didn't get that they were still THAT place and doing the same thing. most of the the catalog companies that i drooled over are long gone. they quit sending me catalogs LOOOOOOOng ago. guess i looked to much and didn't spend enough...

my mistake, went an looked and they are a few buck cheeper than amazon on the next thing i plan to add to the mini-van...

Thanks! and who knew?!?

I actually didn't get a catalog. Like you, I remembered them from my younger days in in the 80s, so I checked out their site. I bought from them because the price was similar to other retailers, but they included stuff like the DIM adapter and some other helpful stuff for doing the install.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It is common to see Apple products used in ads, media, and even shows as props. In most cases, the logo is covered to prevent free product placement ads for Apple. Even though they are clearly using Apple products, they are not violating ©, ™, or other trade dress.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Crutchfield just as easily could have used

Compaq portable (looked like an oscilloscope)
Radioshack Tandy - there were lots of those out then
Early IBM AT style boxes
and so on

It is absolutely to Apple's benefit to be seen as the link to that time and any marketing person for Apple would not be upset with the use of this image by Crutchfield. There is no harm or loss for Apple to be identified and considered "universal."

I just don't understand your tone or disdain but to each his own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.