Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

MBA with parallels? 4GB Ram enough?

I am planning on getting a MBA 13" and was wondering if 4GB of RAM is enough for basic usage and parallels desktop? I mainly surf the web, listen to music and email from my laptop. I also use parallels desktop while on the road to Remote into our company server. Would i be best off to upgrade to the 8GB of Ram or will 4GB work with Parallels running windows 7 minimally?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:05 PM   #2
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfarr View Post
I am planning on getting a MBA 13" and was wondering if 4GB of RAM is enough for basic usage and parallels desktop? I mainly surf the web, listen to music and email from my laptop. I also use parallels desktop while on the road to Remote into our company server. Would i be best off to upgrade to the 8GB of Ram or will 4GB work with Parallels running windows 7 minimally?
I have an 11" MBA and I have run a keyboard/mouse/24" Dell monitor with no problems. I don't do a lot that would really tax the processor or ram, the most intensive thing I'd do is upload pics from a camera, not even videos. I did watch a few movies on it too.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:14 PM   #3
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
I have an 11" MBA and I have run a keyboard/mouse/24" Dell monitor with no problems. I don't do a lot that would really tax the processor or ram, the most intensive thing I'd do is upload pics from a camera, not even videos. I did watch a few movies on it too.
Do you use Parallels to run Windows 7?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:20 PM   #4
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

You can run it. Ive tried it few times but dont expect to do much from it.
Only having 4GB of RAM means you have to share that with you Windows and Mac.
Lets say 2GB Win and 2GB Mac, you can run it and do light work.
If you're expecting to do CPU and graphic intensive games/photo/video editing, it just wont work.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:27 PM   #5
maxosx
macrumors 68020

When I buy a new Mac I focus on two things.

What I'm going to use it for today, and how much extra resources I need for unexpected future use.

8GB will be a far better choice than only 4GB.

Nothing worse than finding you're enjoying your Mac more than you expected and three years later wishing you'd spent a little bit more to have the resources you need then.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:39 PM   #6
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

Also if you are thinking to run Windows 7 often on your MBA, Id suggest getting a MBP or iMac.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:39 PM   #7
kohlson
macrumors regular

When you run Parallels or VMware Fusion, these carve out the resources you've assigned them. They don't play nice with the Mac side of the house in this respect. So if you assign your Win 7 VM to be 2 cores and 2GB RAM, then these are essentially unavailable to the Mac side while it's running. If you're planning on doing real work on this side (like big Excel or Outlook or video editing) then you'll probably be disappointed. Note that Win 7 seems to do well enough with virtual memory, and the swap disk in this case is a fast SSD. But 4GB strikes me as too little.
kohlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:58 PM   #8
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Nope, sorry. I do have 1 Windows machine, but its running Vista haha
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:06 PM   #9
araje
macrumors regular

Quote:
I was working with 4GB RAM for a very long time and it was just painful. Normal Mac was working fine but with parallels running it was just unacceptably slow. Switching between the Mac and windows windows used to be very difficult.
I finally ended up upgrading. Got a great offer so just went to 16GB. Couple that with an SSD and you will see a totally different Mac altogether.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:28 PM   #10
2IS
macrumors 68020

I run Parallels with W7 and 4GB. It works in a pinch, but I definatly wish I had 8GB. My MBA is a 2010 model and topped out at 4GB.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:36 PM   #11
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusukeaoki View Post
Also if you are thinking to run Windows 7 often on your MBA, Id suggest getting a MBP or iMac.
Not if your usage in Windows is light. I have the higher-end 13" MBA 2012 model with 8GB RAM, and when I run an office app (Hanword - Korean equivalent of MS Word) along with VNC playing a clip (non HD), I see no issues whatsoever.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:41 PM   #12
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
Not if your usage in Windows is light. I have the higher-end 13" MBA 2012 model with 8GB RAM, and when I run an office app (Hanword - Korean equivalent of MS Word) along with VNC playing a clip (non HD), I see no issues whatsoever.
Thanks for the reply! I can afford the 8GB upgrade, I just am not certain any apple store around me will have it in stock.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:14 AM   #13
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I can afford the 8GB upgrade, I just am not certain any apple store around me will have it in stock.
You could order it online - that way you don't have to hunt a store down.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:29 AM   #14
7thson
macrumors 6502

Just curious as to whether you are related to the Jon Farr in His Dark Materials?
7thson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:54 AM   #15
henry72
macrumors 6502a

Is this your first Mac? I'm wondering what kind of program you will be using for Remote Desktop? Because the Microsoft Office for Mac comes with Remote Desktop.

If you have the money and you're also planning to use it for at least 3 years then more ram would be great.

However, if you don't need to run Windows, you could save the money!
henry72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:56 AM   #16
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
I mentioned that in my first post.
Powerful machine if you plan on running heavy apps and use it often.
MBA if its something light.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:11 AM   #17
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusukeaoki View Post
I mentioned that in my first post.
Powerful machine if you plan on running heavy apps and use it often.
MBA if its something light.
Ah, yeah, I see that now. Sorry, I only saw that quoted bit.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:16 AM   #18
edricfilho
macrumors newbie

I run Parallels for Win7 64-bit on my MBAs. My older MBA, a 11"/4GB/128GB SSD, always impressed me how it performed very much like my rather powerful PC for the tasks I do. I am a tech translator and have to run Excel, Word and Powerpoint 2010 concurrently, a dozen PDF windows open in Reader and a somehow heavy translation memory manager app.

But I always wondered if doubling the virtual environment RAM (4GB for each OS) and spicing up the CPU would make things way faster (despite my job tasks do not demand so much speed, but a lot of memory, virtual and non-virtual, when reindexing DBs...) and I upgraded to an MBA 11"/i7/8GB/256SSD. Funny enough, the ONLY difference I really noticed it was, in fact, that 256GB SSD "slowed" things a little!!!! Although the newer system pages much less (RAM to SSD), I cannot feel that in normal work...

Coming from a PC background, I am amazed at how efficient is OSX in managing hardware resources. Bottom line: I wouldn't notice the diff between my older MBA and the new, maxed out machine, in terms of performance (for the tasks I run, of course).

Edric
edricfilho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:19 AM   #19
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
When you use Parallels, you want enough RAM for a Macintosh, PLUS enough RAM for Windows. 4GB is very tight for that.

Why do you need Windows to get into your company server?
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:56 PM   #20
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Get 8gb. Its worth it. You cant upgrade later.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:41 PM   #21
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by edricfilho View Post
I run Parallels for Win7 64-bit on my MBAs. My older MBA, a 11"/4GB/128GB SSD, always impressed me how it performed very much like my rather powerful PC for the tasks I do. I am a tech translator and have to run Excel, Word and Powerpoint 2010 concurrently, a dozen PDF windows open in Reader and a somehow heavy translation memory manager app.

But I always wondered if doubling the virtual environment RAM (4GB for each OS) and spicing up the CPU would make things way faster (despite my job tasks do not demand so much speed, but a lot of memory, virtual and non-virtual, when reindexing DBs...) and I upgraded to an MBA 11"/i7/8GB/256SSD. Funny enough, the ONLY difference I really noticed it was, in fact, that 256GB SSD "slowed" things a little!!!! Although the newer system pages much less (RAM to SSD), I cannot feel that in normal work...

Coming from a PC background, I am amazed at how efficient is OSX in managing hardware resources. Bottom line: I wouldn't notice the diff between my older MBA and the new, maxed out machine, in terms of performance (for the tasks I run, of course).

Edric
Thanks for the post. I appreciate your input. I doubt I would be as intensive as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
When you use Parallels, you want enough RAM for a Macintosh, PLUS enough RAM for Windows. 4GB is very tight for that.

Why do you need Windows to get into your company server?
We have company docs that are stored on our company server that multiple people need access to for editing purposes (excel files to be exact) and I need a windows based version of office to be able to open it and save it back to the server file.

For some reason, when the file is opened on in OSX version of excel, it becomes a local document and any saves are made to the local hard drive, not the server based document. We have worked with our IT tech about the issue and the only way around it is to either have a PC, or run bootcamp/VM to edit this remote file as I do a TON of traveling for work.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:02 PM   #22
Robyr
macrumors regular

Quote:
For some reason, when the file is opened on in OSX version of excel, it becomes a local document and any saves are made to the local hard drive, not the server based document. We have worked with our IT tech about the issue and the only way around it is to either have a PC, or run bootcamp/VM to edit this remote file as I do a TON of traveling for work.
Sharepoint is your issue, for the record. Only supports live editing on a Windows based system, with proper Office support.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:08 PM   #23
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
I'd go with 8. I used to run Windows 7 within Parallels on a 4GB 2011 Air, and it worked OK, but it paged out to the SSD a lot, and I was only able to give about 1GB of RAM to Windows. With 8 you can give Windows a little more RAM (2 or 3GB) and still have enough to run Mac programs side by side.

The performance hit is a little less noticeable with an SSD, but it is still there. RAM is faster than any SSD.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:35 AM   #24
mslide
macrumors 6502a

4GB + Windows 7 VM sucks. Definitely get 8GB. 4GB is somewhat doable but you're going to hate it in a couple/few years.
mslide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:49 AM   #25
weinschela
macrumors member

4G with Win7 will be fine as long as you are not trying to do intensive work. For word processing and Excel, 4FG will work; I am running Win7 on Parallels and several year old MBA without a problem. XP ran fine also. Just do not expect blazing performance. Disappoint is a function of expectation. Obviously, if you have a chance to have 8G go for it. Memory is not that expensive and more is always better.
weinschela is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air