Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I actually helped a friend of mine put in an order through my campus VPN, so that she could get the Apple on Campus rebate (she studies as well...just never figured the whole VPN stuff out) and I was surprised to see the shipment already stated 2-3 weeks. But the order actually arrived one week later, so I guess those 2-3 weeks are really more like 1-2 weeks.

Perhaps this is because of the huge backslash Apple received from the iPad Mini order chaos? I order my 32 GB cellular version minutes after preordering started but Apple shipped it over a months later on the 15th december. First time I was really unhappy with the way Apple handles their estimates.

mcalevy

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Availability

What I have never heard anybody say, is that if Apple had just done an upgrade on the old iMac with the Ivy Bridge and USB 3, they could have added another billion in revenue to their bottom line by now. Does anybody out there care if the iMac has a thinner beveled edge?

And if they had put a chinese engineering team on the Mac Pro, it could have been out a week after intel announce availability of Ivy Bridge. As it is, I had to wait almost 9 months to get an Ivy Bridge in a Mac Mini after Intel began shipping. So I bought a cheap windows laptop just to tide me over after my macbook pro crapped out 3 months after the extended warranty expired, just to see how close I could get Windows 7 to the mac experience. I will say one thing, we Apple users are paying one hell of a premium for not very much these days. And windows users are paying that premium over Ubuntu users. We are talking about having 80% of the apple experience for 30% of the cost if one goes to thin client.

Any way you look at it, this is a massive screw up on the part of the apple computer division. Apple should really not be considered a computer company any more. They didn't even bother to deliver a thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter two years after they started putting thunderbolt on their computers. To put a port on their computers that goes unused for two years is not exactly brilliant.

This is not a company driven to increase their computer sales. I wish apple would just license OS X and get the hell out of the computer business.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Hopefully they're getting ready for 2013 iMacs with 128GB or 256GB SSD's as standard instead of ridiculous "fusion" drives or drives with only 5400rmp speeds as if it's the early 2000's.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Hopefully they're getting ready for 2013 iMacs with 128GB or 256GB SSD's as standard instead of ridiculous "fusion" drives or drives with only 5400rmp speeds as if it's the early 2000's.

lol even my old machines from like 99 had 7200rpm drives. What makes it even more ridiculous is that a desktop is usinga 5400rpm drive. My hp laptop from 2009 has a 7200rpm hdd, and an ssd I added. It came with the 7200rpm drive.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
My god! When the iMac fiasco will end?
Almost fab....
I remind you all that it all started in jun! ( when the first :" iMac production problems " rumors hit the web)

hrstruggle

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
21.5" Order from B and H Photo Taking Forever

Apple iMAC/QC i5/2.9g/8GB/1TB FUSION - 21.5"

I ordered the above configuration on 12/13/2012 from BandH Photo and it's been on backorder ever since day 1. Still no estimate as to when the delivery will be made. B and H sent me an update 7 days ago saying they still don't know when it will be ready. It's pretty discouraging . . .

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Man, with shortages on 21.5 and 27in iMacs, these updated Thunderbolt Displays are never going to arrive :(

Zerotolerance

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
New Hampshire
If it's due to production issues with the screen lamination process, they could have avoided the whole thing by using Nippon's Invisible Glass for a truly glare and reflection-free screen. The lamination supposedly reduces glare by "up to" 70%, but 30% of a mirror finish is still a mirror finish, and in fact the slightly duller reflections causes the eye to strain even harder as it tries to see them enough to distinguish them from the image on the screen.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Nope, it's just Cook's terrible mistake in accepting a position he was never ready for - it's as if Apple has no COO right now.

Jeff Williams would disagree.

williams_hero20110204.png

----------

US shows 7-10 days, UK shows 2-3 weeks.

They should put UK in the headline then.

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013

Funny because it's 2012 and 2.5" 1TB 7,200rpm drives are still scarcely available... hence why Apple isn't using them in the 21.5" iMac.

tootalltech

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Im not sure its fair to say that its the NEW co's fault.. There is too much demand.. Not sure why.. I prefer to just buy an hdmi adapter lol

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I noticed the same as well. I was in there to get a motherboard replaced for my rMBP and I played around with the 21 inch and I couldn't believe how bad it looked.

Agreed, the 21" display is pretty bad, you can actually see dots separating pixels in images etc, text is awful, color is good though. The problem is not as bad on the 27

I really hope they bring better screens next time round hopefully IGZO

DigitalJunior

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
UK
Need to put perceptive on this discussing pixels, when we first used Macintosh for work the screen was monochrome and was what 8" or 9" inches across :)

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010

You must but understand the benefits of the fusion drive. It doesn't matter if its only 5400 rpm. Think about it for a while before you decide a 7200 rpm hd will be faster than a 5400 fusion drive. Or that a 128gb flash will be more convenient than a 1.12 TB fusion

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia

I'd rather have 1.1Tb Fusion then be limited to 256Gb or pay $1300 for Apple top SSD.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Nope, it's just Cook's terrible mistake in accepting a position he was never ready for - it's as if Apple has no COO right now.

If Cook was not ready for the position Jobs would have never recommended him for the position. And never had made him temporary CEO those times too. Jobs knew when someone was ready to handle a position well.

But the 2nd half of your comment makes sense. Cook IS ready to be CEO. But who has taken over Cooks old role as COO? I think there needs to be someone.

Frobi One

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Chippenham Wilts UK
I guess they haven't fixed the screen production difficulties.

Maybe, Just maybe, they have got further improvements in the screen production, but are now having to service both iMac AND Thunderbolt production. :eek:

There is logic to this. I cant see that there would be a sudden uplift in iMac demand right now, especially as there would have been a lot of initial sales due to the model refresh. On the other hand, I cant see them getting worse at making the displays. So a sudden increase in lead-times is likely to be either some increase in sales I cant think of (like companies getting orders in at the start of the calendar year), or there is extra production demand - ie TBD.

I hope so. My rMBP is feeling that it has married bellow itself - being connected to a 3 year old Dell screen for half its working life. (which isn't actually THAT bad it has to be said)

Frobs

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
1 week ago, I walked into my local Apple store, and they had plenty of iMacs in stock, including the 27". I walked out with a new 27" iMac. It's freakin sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.