Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
3 and a half months. Naked since day one.

Attachments

• DSC_0208.JPG
    DSC_0208.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 532
  • DSC_0207.JPG
    DSC_0207.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 480
  • DSC_0196.JPG
    DSC_0196.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 366

FAJV

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Montenegro
I've had my black iPhone for two months now.

Was perfect out if the box and is still perfect.

I keep it in my pocket by itself and when at home it sits on a microfibre cloth.

Now, all those phones are made by the same people, in the same factory, by the same materials and machines.
Yours is still perfect, NAKED...in the same time you can find a lot od pics on the internet with stupid quotes like: i just got it and it became white, scuffed, ****ed...

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
184 pages of people whining about tiny scratches on their iPhone is pretty boring regardless of wether it’s true or not ;) heh

Don't get me wrong, it is pretty boring I feel. But consider such an expensive phone with scratches out of the box is not acceptable. Even though cheap/free phones do not do this.

nowise

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
I've had mine since day 1 and it looks like hell now. Nicks, scratches and faded coloring. Took it to Apple Store today and they told me they wouldn't replace it due to cosmetics.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
The next iPhone will be the neatest black phone. I am sure apple has learnt from their mistake.

In the mean time for the iPhone 5 get the white one.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
If they haven't heard or noticed so that they make amends then something is seriously wrong with them.

Last edited:

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I just got to see my buddies black iPhone 5 today, which he received as a Christmas gift. It looked like it was scuff-free and had no other cosmetic issues which I could spot. He hates all technology, however. So he doesn't really like it. I just have a problem settling for a less than flawless device when someone else who paid the exact same as me got a better product, just because they were luckier. It's insane. I think that's what bothers me most about this whole situation.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I had a tiny, tiny mark on the right hand side beveled edge out of the box but it was so minute it's difficult to even see it. I've had mine in and out of a case for 2 months and I've got no more marks anywhere on the phone. I honestly believe there was a batch of bad phones in terms of the coating or I got lucky.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
In the larger scheme of things, it's a minor annoyance and not that big of a deal.

Now that I got that out the way, this is ridiculous. I've babied my phone and taken every possible precaution. I have never used the screen without protection. The phone's only been outside of a case without manuf. film covers for a few minutes, tops.

And yet the screen and case both appear to be scratched. Not a big deal, but also not acceptable. I'm going back to the store tomorrow (actually later today) to see what they say about a possible exchange. This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

lentini

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Now that I got out the way, this is ridiculous. I've babied my phone and taken every possible precaution.

Agree with that. Mine had three chips out of it even though I took a ridiculous amount of care with it. Got fed up with treating it like this in the end so I got it exchanged it for a brand new one (mine had the WiFi issue) and just sold it.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Well, this is the answer to the question I had. I can't say with any certainty if the phone was scratched out of box. I can however say with absolutely certainty that the phone has several scratches after extremely light use. 3 uses of the lightning port, and the phone is scratched. I've only used the port once myself (store employees were responsible on the first two occasions), and I was very careful.

Exactly.

Damaged out of box - Anger fully justified. Get it replaced.

Damaged from very slight use, use that wouldn't have damaged any similar piece of equipment (i.e. anodized iPod for example) - You may have one of what I believe to be a small percentage with misapplied anodizing. Get it replaced.

Part of the vast majority with no issues - Rock on.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
An android fan can buy an iPhone 5 from Apple, he can scratch it, take some pictures, post them on the internet, then go back to Apple and start to complan that he got a bad phone, then they would give a new one to him, he'll do it again and again, and once he get bored he will stop.
really?? please say you're just joking with this post. Because if you're not, well in that case you need some help in your life.

Hungaroplan

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Production year: 2012
Production week: 52 (December)
Name: iPhone 5 (GSM model: AT&T and Canada)
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

Flawless.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 52 (December)
Name: iPhone 5 (GSM model: AT&T and Canada)
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

Flawless.

my i5 is flawless as well in a thin open case and a screen protector

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
My black iPhone is also in perfect condition.
Not using a Case, because there's no point to it.

I wish I could say that. I have bastardized my phone to the fullest this time. I thought I'd be pseudo careful and not really care too much and keep it naked without coating it with one of those whole-body film protectors. I thought I'd keep it in my regular belt phone holder and I'd be good. But after a few months and looking at it repeatedly, yeeaaaa..I'll have a whole different outlook on my next purchase. Can I find on of those phone repair shops and have the bezel replaced? It really needs it.

Attachments

• Photo Feb 02, 7 09 41 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 02, 7 09 41 PM.jpg
    987 KB · Views: 269
  • Photo Feb 02, 7 10 20 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 02, 7 10 20 PM.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Photo Feb 02, 7 10 36 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 02, 7 10 36 PM.jpg
    989.6 KB · Views: 257
  • Photo Feb 02, 7 21 49 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 02, 7 21 49 PM.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 214

shaguaaa

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
buy a case

lol no idea hopefully it wont scratch easy
ipad

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I wish I could say that. I have bastardized my phone to the fullest this time. I thought I'd be pseudo careful and not really care too much and keep it naked without coating it with one of those whole-body film protectors. I thought I'd keep it in my regular belt phone holder and I'd be good. But after a few months and looking at it repeatedly, yeeaaaa..I'll have a whole different outlook on my next purchase. Can I find on of those phone repair shops and have the bezel replaced? It really needs it.

That’s what the edge of my MacBook Pro looks like :eek:

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012

I just threw up in my mouth. Dude, get a case next time. Any case at all, even a cheap one, would have prevented all that wear and tear.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I just threw up in my mouth. Dude, get a case next time. Any case at all, even a cheap one, would have prevented all that wear and tear.

I've done it for past phones and thought I'd be careful enough to avoid this on this phone but now how careless I really can be. So I'll just go back to my old self for the next one. I'm going to see if there is a repair place around here that can possibly replace the bezel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.