Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vitiri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hi all,

I just recently got my new iMac 2012 (First Mac ever) and it runs flawless so far. However, i cannot get Adobe Premier CS6 to Playback clips or anything in it.

I installed CUDA and listed my GeForce GTX 680MX in the supporting Graphic Cards, but still no luck. :(

Does anyone know how to fix this? or do i have o wait until there's an update from adobe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My system info:
27-inch iMac
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5

Thanks

Vitiri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
did you do the hack to add your graphic card?

Yes, i did the hack before i posted this topic. It wasn't working at all, later last night i shut down my mac to clean it and than restarted and when i opened premiere it works. It's not 100%, but it works for now.

Thanks for your reply

waldo3125

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Yes, i did the hack before i posted this topic. It wasn't working at all, later last night i shut down my mac to clean it and than restarted and when i opened premiere it works. It's not 100%, but it works for now.

Thanks for your reply

Please excuse me, I'm a noob. But I just purchased the same device (haven't received it yet) but I will also be running Premiere CS6 on it and would like to know what the "hack" is and how to do it?

Thank you

Vitiri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Please excuse me, I'm a noob. But I just purchased the same device (haven't received it yet) but I will also be running Premiere CS6 on it and would like to know what the "hack" is and how to do it?

Thank you

These are the instructions i've used. I had to restart for everything to work. It's not flawless, but works for now.

Install Cuda for Mac OSX

1) Download and Install Cuda Drive for Mac: Around 20 MB
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

GeForce GTX 680MX

Premiere Pro CS6

1) Need to run GPUSniffer. Open Terminal Window and copy and paste this command:

/Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6.app/Contents/GPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/GPUSniffer

2) Open Terminal Window and copy and paste this command:

sudo nano /Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6.app/Contents/cuda_supported_cards.txt

After Effects CS6

1) Need to run GPUSniffer. Open Terminal Window and copy and paste this command:

/Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS6/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS6.app/Contents/GPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/GPUSniffer

2) Open Terminal Window and copy and paste this command:
sudo nano /Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS6/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS6.app/Contents/raytracer_supported_cards.txt

waldo3125

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Thank you VERY much Vitiri, I greatly appreciate it! I'll definitely give this a try!

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
Just keep in mind that every time CS6 is patched or updated, you may have to go in an re-edit the files. That is assuming Adobe doesn't add your GPU to the supported list.

Keep an eye on those files after every Adobe CS6 update.

jas

waldo3125

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Just keep in mind that every time CS6 is patched or updated, you may have to go in an re-edit the files. That is assuming Adobe doesn't add your GPU to the supported list.

jas

Hmm I'll keep an eye on this but hopefully Adobe eventually adds the GPU to the supported list. I'm hoping they will eventually!

macklack

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
same here

Hi,

I have the very same problem and almost the same imac with different harddrive (3TB Fusion Drive) which shouldn't do any difference.

BUT: my colleague has the exact same imac as you got and everything runs perfect (without a hack or anything). PPro CS6 and After Effects CS6 works fine. audio and video.

I donwloaded "hear softonic" and got the problems ever since.

I wish to do a clean install of mountain lion but even that's a problem cause i can't download mountain lion from the app store cause i already have it...

so annoying!

peppespizzapie

Suspended
Jul 5, 2010

jas

I dont have these problems. I dont need to hack, install, re-install, go in terminal and so on and so on.
I use FCP X, very satisfied with that, runs like a dream.

macklack

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Solution

I did a clean reinstall of mountain lion. Press cmd+r while booting, erase Macintosh HD and reinstall from the little inbuilt disc or whatever that is.

Then everything worked just fine. So i guess the software hear by softonic messed up something in my situation.

scottgoh

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
i am new Mac user and 2012 iMac is my first.
i got lots of .avi files that cannot be play with Premiere CS6.
of course u need to download some decoder to allow Mac to understand the file.

my 2012 specs are the same as yours.

Endfallow

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Thornton, CO.
My system info:
27-inch iMac
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5

Vitiri,
I ordered the exact same system (then up'ed to 32g RAM), have not installed any sort of hack, and my CS6 PPro (Cloud) is running like a champ - right out of the box.

To all,
Am I to understand that this is not the norm? Granted, I have yet to edit a full project, but I have had no issues while running individual clips though the different apps and would like to know if I should expect some. Is this not a stable setup as of yet?

Would love some feedback. Thx.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
The hack will work just fine in theory since all it is, is adding GeForce GTX 680MX to the text list instead of modifying anything else. If Adobe does update Premiere and AE you might need to redo it but by then they will probably add the 680mx to the list anyway.

Edit: if you do run into CUDA issues, just go get the latest n greatest nvidia cuda driver for mac and chances are problem solved. Seems they release one twice a month

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Vitiri,
I ordered the exact same system (then up'ed to 32g RAM), have not installed any sort of hack, and my CS6 PPro (Cloud) is running like a champ - right out of the box.

To all,
Am I to understand that this is not the norm? Granted, I have yet to edit a full project, but I have had no issues while running individual clips though the different apps and would like to know if I should expect some. Is this not a stable setup as of yet?

Would love some feedback. Thx.

It's not about stability, it's about unlocking CUDA and Mercury Playback using the GPU, which is not supported on all cards as of yet. If your card is not supported, then you can add it by 'hacking' the supported list of cards. Very simple.

Premiere will run like a dream without this hack, but you can potentially unlock the full potential of your, as of yet, unsupported GPU for any effects rendering.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
If your card is not supported, then you can add it by 'hacking' the supported list of cards. Very simple.

Someone pointed out in another thread that it's even easier to just remove the file. In fact, with CS6, you can remove both cuda and opencl text files. Restarting Premiere Pro will show you two choices for hardware MPE acceleration: one for CUDA, and the other OpenCL.

As I stated earlier: CS6 patches will likely reset those files back to their original state. So after you've updated/patched/etc, you'll need to go back and re-edit or remove them.

Easy as can be.

jas

HoosPhotog

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
This isn't exactly on the topic of CUDA hacks, but since this thread is all about Adobe on the 2012 iMac, I'm curious to hear some general impressions of people's experience and setup. I am planning to buy the 27" 3.4 i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion, 680MX (this config is in the refurb store for $2199!) then upgrade to 24 or 32GB RAM.

Specific questions:
-What's Premiere performance like without the CUDA hack? Big difference with it? Any beachballing when cutting 1080p DSLR footage?
-How about After Effects? Smooth playback, quick renders?
-What is your disk setup like- externals, RAIDs, etc? Where are you storing project files, footage, final exports, etc? (I am considering the OWC Helios+E2 Thunderbolt- working footage on the SSD, archive on eSATA connected RAID, project files on Fusion).
-How is the display for color grading? Would you recommend another (ie, non-Apple) external display for this instead?

Really appreciate the feedback- I'm just seriously jumping into the video world from a still photography background and there's certainly a bit of a learning curve. Thanks!

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
-What's Premiere performance like without the CUDA hack? Big difference with it? Any beachballing when cutting 1080p DSLR footage?

Without CUDA it will be perfectly fine. I used to edit full HD on a 2010 iMac with i3, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 4670 w/256GB VRAM; you honestly do not need a supercomputer to edit HD video, people overestimate the computers needed to edit video, even that iMac was more than enough to edit HD video. I did upgrade to 8GB RAM though.

I once had a go at editing HD video on an 11" MacBook Air and it worked quite well, obviously not ideal, but just shows that there's no need to shell out so much money on something to edit videos on.

Lastly, CS6 has OpenCL, which I've found to work pretty well, so there's that.

-How about After Effects? Smooth playback, quick renders?

Same story with my 2010 iMac.

-What is your disk setup like- externals, RAIDs, etc? Where are you storing project files, footage, final exports, etc? (I am considering the OWC Helios+E2 Thunderbolt- working footage on the SSD, archive on eSATA connected RAID, project files on Fusion).

For 2 years I was using a 1TB G-Drive hooked up to my iMac via FireWire 800 (Firstly using it on my 2012 iMac, then using it on my current 2012 iMac), and it was pretty much flawless. Soon, I decided to get a LaCie Little Big Disk 240GB SSD RAID, it was extremely fast, but I discovered that the speed of the drive wasn't making my renders/exports any faster whatsoever, and the fan was so loud, it wasn't worth it, so I ditched that drive, I even made a post regarding it.

Last weekend I decided to buy a G-RAID 4TB, to be hooked up via FireWire 800. Unlike the LaCie, this RAID isn't any faster than the regular G-Drive, which is disappointing; the G-Drive is a single disk. I cooked up a conspiracy that G-Tech decided to throttle the newer FW800 RAIDs to make either the USB3 port (That this drive has) look better or to make the Thunderbolt versions look better. Anyway, I'm gonna keep this drive since it's 4TB and I can't be bothered to look for something else.

Personally, if you want more help on a disk set up, make a post about it or search the forums, not quite in the mood right now to talk about storage solutions in depth.

-How is the display for color grading? Would you recommend another (ie, non-Apple) external display for this instead?

I don't do any serious colour grading, so I don't really have any say in this.

Edit: Anyone wondering what happened to the 2010 iMac, never did manage to find out the actual problem, but it pretty much broke so I decided to go up a step and wait for the next iMac...which was a very long wait.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.