Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:29 PM   #26
Jaykob
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoiattolo49 View Post
This new 30 days limit is only for US.

In Europe you can still buy the Applecare+ within one year of the iPhone purchase.

BTW in the EU the mandatory warranty is two years anyway so there is less incentive to buy AppleCare
Where in Europe? AFAIK in Germany they didn't offer AppleCare+ yet!
Jaykob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:15 PM   #27
cfellows
macrumors newbie

Better than Verizon's insurance.

Bought the phone 2 weeks ago. Called Apple & bought Applecare. Canceled Verizon ins. I'm pleased.
cfellows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:11 PM   #28
blue22
macrumors 6502

Applecare+ seems super-shady...

I couldn't justify buying Applecare+ when I picked up the 4S on launch day, and even less so a month later.

Basically, it's $30 more than the standard 1 year extended Applecare service for manufacturer defects, yet the only significant difference between the two plans is that you can now pay an additional $49 for a replacement (for a limit of two times) for being at fault for accidentally breaking your phone. That's it. So, what's that extra $30 for? I know "it's only" thirty bucks, but still, wtf?! Complete b.s. like this really pisses me off and comes off scammy, even if I do love Apple products.

Last edited by blue22; Nov 18, 2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: fixed typo
blue22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:08 PM   #29
blue22
macrumors 6502

Fudge that, it should instead be called "AppleScam+++"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoDDz View Post
So you spend $99 on applecare and another 49 if you actually use it which comes to about 150 bucks. An out of warranty replacement from Apple is $199.

You're out $100 bucks whether or not you ever use it, and you're out $150 if you do. Doesn't seem like a bargain to me. Just pay the 200 if you ever need the out of warranty replacement and if you never need it then you save $100.
Exactly!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUStm View Post
My guess is this will force someone to use it. Especially those that plan to sell their phone at a later time. They could easily "accidentally" drop it and have it replaced for a brand new phone.
If I was high enough to purchase Applecare+, just on principal I would purposely break it every 7 months to get myself a newly minted iPhone 4S so I can somewhat justify spending another $200 on this phone for some nonsense "insurance" that statistically I'm very unlikely to ever use and that I'm only allowed to purchase within 30 days of buying the phone itself. How retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoiattolo49 View Post
This new 30 days limit is only for US.

In Europe you can still buy the Applecare+ within one year of the iPhone purchase.

BTW in the EU the mandatory warranty is two years anyway so there is less incentive to buy AppleCare
And yet there's still a slew of silly Americans that think by having LESS corporate regulations like these enforced is actually benefiting the consumer and tax-paying public, and that their fellow citizens are awash in "freedom" from such lax regulations.

*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
Sounds like a great deal if your going to hang onto your phone for longer than one year!
To me it only makes sense to get Applecare+ if you're buying the iPhone unlocked at the unsubsidized rate ($649 and higher) as the price difference to replace a damaged phone is much greater, thus making this a "good deal" in comparison to the alternative of dropping another 7+ bills to potentially replace it.

Otherwise, the standard warranty is fine for most scenarios. While under contract, one is more likely to upgrade their phone with a newer model by the time 24 months comes around anyway, if not sooner, so what's the point of spending another $99 upfront if the probability is SUPER LOW that you will ever need to use this insurance? And you have to decide this within 30 days of the initial purchase?! Hogwash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
AKA: Nobody was buying it, so we're giving them longer to, uh... Not buy it...
Talk about keeping "hope" alive.
blue22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:24 PM   #30
dksram
macrumors member

Greed is not the purpose here. If they were greedy they would allow you to nut the warranty before your original warranty is up. Think about it. How many people do you see needing their phones repaired due to damage? You may think a lot have issues with damaging their phones but they really don't.

So, If you pay 99.99 for your Apple warranty and never use it and say 999,999 more people never use theirs what kind of money do you think they're making?Millions.
So, Apple is really cutting their own throats by not allowing Apple Care purchases after 30 days.
dksram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:26 AM   #31
dksram
macrumors member

So if you purchase the phone full price from ebay or amazon do you still get a chance to purchase Apple Care or is it from 30 days of activation?

Sorry for two posts.
dksram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:37 PM   #32
Soura2112
macrumors 6502

Greed?

AT&T were not very informative about the new AppleCare Plus, so I also picked up AT&Ts insurgence to be fully covered. Going to look at both options ad see what's best for me, i have time to choose. For people like me, on the water and up on mountains I now have a piece of mind. 3 iPhones in my life no problems, but last July 4th mine got water damage after being on a boat. It sucked! I was not sure what to do, oddly came out to be okay only cause a family member needed an iPhone too, so I was lucky if you look at the right way. Peace of mind is worth it to me, these things are not cheap, especially when you go to 32 or 64gb.
I remember everyone being upset about no insurance, now it's greed that there is insurance. No one is making you buy it so it's not greed, it basically what a of people have wanted, and made a lot of people not buy an iPhone. I know many who didn't buy one for that reason, or was stolen, etc (AT&T covers theft). I never trusted those 3rd party companies insurrences. These little things take a lot of drops, even if your as careful as me, except my one fluke accident that could have ruined my vacation. Like everything if you don't like it then don't buy it, if so then do, it's a choice and I'm happy with my choice.
Soura2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:00 AM   #33
Angelo921
macrumors regular

Can i still purchase AppleCare (not Applecare+) for my iphone 5 within the 1st year?
Angelo921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion