Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrissyhume

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
Dallas, GA
For the last couple of years I have been working in the healthcare industry, and I was wondering if there was a way to send a video of a patient’s information, or symptoms from my cell phone. I mean to do this without violating HIPAA patient info confidentiality?

My understanding is that SMS text is not secure or HIPAA compliant.

Anyone know how to do this?

Endfallow

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Thornton, CO.
For the last couple of years I have been working in the healthcare industry, and I was wondering if there was a way to send a video of a patient’s information, or symptoms from my cell phone. I mean to do this without violating HIPAA patient info confidentiality?

My understanding is that SMS text is not secure or HIPAA compliant.

Anyone know how to do this?

I'm not entirely certain what you are asking. Are you asking:

1) The actual technical process to send a video with/from your phone? If so, what phone do you have and how do you wan to send it? (email,MMS, dropbox...)
or
2) If it is within proper HIPAA guidelines to send a video with a client's private info with your (personal?) cell phone, INSTEAD of a text/SMS, which you understand to be outside HIPAA guidelines?

roberthalles

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Macland
Tigertext

I think what you are asking, is if there is an app or something that can allow you to send a video in a way that is HIPAA compliant.

In our hospital, we wanted our doctors to be able to text message patient info to admin and other doctors, but HIPAA requirements are strict.
We got TigertextPro which is a HIPAA compliant text messaging app, that uses it's own network to send text encrypted messages, side stepping SMS which is not HIPAA compliant.

Anyway, you can attach video to the Tigertext messages, and that would be
HIPAA compliant. My understanding is that you can now send the video via Tigertext as it's own message without having to attached it.

There are also some bigger MDM and BYOD system out there, which would allow you to send video to phones logged in to that system, but they are expensive (I think Tigertext Pro is about $10 a month).

I hope this helps.

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
OP,

Are you working under the aegis of a hospital, university, or health system? If so, they have IT people, including a CIO, whose jobs are maintaining strict compliance with HIPAA. The widespread use of smart phones and tablets gives these people headaches, but they have to be responsive to the community.

Can you ask them for their standard(s)? They should be able to provide guidance.

Cpollan

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Capturing and sharing HIPAA compliant Video

We are releasing an app that let's you capture a video on an iOS device (iPad,iPhone) and share it with a patient all HIPAA compliant. You can get a free user code at http://www.postwire.com and the mobile app in the AppStore by searching for Postwire. Capturing video on the phone in accordance with HIPAA requires some special considerations as does the transfer to the patient. We have taken account of those in building the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.