Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muerte83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
I'm using an old 3gs and I've noticed the light sensor isn't all that responsive. Usually in really bright daylight it does adjust a bit but under varying indoor conditions it doesn't change from a usually low backlight setting which I then have to adjust manually.

One time I put a flashlight up against the earpiece/sensor area, in a dark room and it took several seconds for the screen to brighten up. I then waited for the screen to go back down once I put the light away but nothing happened.

Is this normal for the 3gs? The searches I've done show results for broken sensor ribbons or water damage but this is phone kept in good condition and never tampered with by it's original owner.

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
Could be a lag due to overload in memory. Try temporarily turning all running apps off and see whether you could reproduce the problem. To end all current apps double press the Home button, then tap and hold on an app icon until you see the red "-" sign, then end all possible apps.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
The brightness doesn't go down automatically as far as I know. Only up. You'll have to sleep/unlock for it to reset. At least that's how it was on my 3GS.

It was pretty quick to react though.

muerte83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
I tried clearing memory, it's the same thing.

@Chambone - That would seem to be the case. I've only noticed it go down after manually pressing the top button to shut off, and then press it again to turn the screen back on. I've also observed the lockscreen is always brighter regardless of how dim the menu screens are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.