Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
Just wondering how you guys have your iCloud mail folders set up. I saw this awesome aritcle on keeping your mail.app folders in good nick. But of course if you do it in Mail.app it wont replicate over to iCloud.

Article here .....

So all the folder work has to be done in iCloud. Which is kinda of limited due to the rule features and no smart mailboxes.

But how do you guys keep your icloud mail in tip top shape?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I have all of my Mailboxes syncing to iCloud just fine. The big step here is when creating Mailboxes in Mail, you need to make sure you're creating them under iCloud. Otherwise, they are "On My Mac".

Mailboxes replicate to iCloud just fine. It appears that rules and Smart Mailboxes do not.

FWIW, I do not use any flagging or Smart Mailboxes. I just move the email(s) to the corresponding folders that I want them in and this way they sync to all of my Apple devices.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have all of my Mailboxes syncing to iCloud just fine. The big step here is when creating Mailboxes in Mail, you need to make sure you're creating them under iCloud. Otherwise, they are "On My Mac".

Mailboxes replicate to iCloud just fine. It appears that rules and Smart Mailboxes do not.

FWIW, I do not use any flagging or Smart Mailboxes. I just move the email(s) to the corresponding folders that I want them in and this way they sync to all of my Apple devices.

I have not tried it, but it looks like you could replicate many of the smart folders on that page with rules that moved messages to designated IMAP folders and accomplish much if the same thing.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I have not tried it, but it looks like you could replicate many of the smart folders on that page with rules that moved messages to designated IMAP folders and accomplish much if the same thing.

Yeah I've had rules before in the past, but I ended up just wiping them out. I personally like to get everything in my Inbox and then decide myself if it needs to be saved to a folder since not every email needs to be saved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.