Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:55 AM   #1
macman312
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: melbourne
Thunderbolt display with HDMI device

Hi all

As the title suggests I am wondering if I can use the thunderbolt display with a hdmi computer. In particular the raspberry pi. For those who don't know the raspberry pi is a ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I have a MBP 15" and was thinking of buying a thunderbolt display to go with that but would I be able to buy an adaptor such as this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and use that?

As the thunderbolt display is very expensive where I live(Australia)- it is about AU$1200

I NEED TO KNOW ASAP if it will work I am going to go to the Aussie equivalent of J&R tomorrow and ask about it but I am also asking for advice here.

the setup guide is here- http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-conten...guide-v1.1.pdf if anyone wants to read what components are required

Thanks for any help in advance
macman312 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:57 AM   #2
martinm0
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I can't say for certain, but my gut tells me no. Usually anything Thunderbolt related requires another device with a Thunderbolt port to work.

I might suggest looking at the older Cinema Display that uses Mini Displayport over Thunderbolt (same connector, but MDP only supports audio/video). Also, keep in mind that even if any of this works you will not get the full resolution on the Display and will be limited to 1080p most likely (most forms of HDMI stop at 1080p).
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Giuly
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
If you definitively need an HDMI input for one reason or another, then you might want to consider the Dell U2713HM instead. However, you'll loose the docking (second Thunderbolt port and Ethernet, the Dell has an integrated 4-port USB 3.0 hub though) and charging capabilities of the Thunderbolt Display that way.
Thumb resize.Thumb resize.

Last edited by Giuly; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:54 PM   #4
DJTechz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Hi,

Just an idea if you're gonna use both at the same time, you can just VNC from Pi to MacBook then you could still get a Thunderbolt Display.
__________________
iPad 64GB (3rd Gen) - iPhone 5S 16GB
Windows 8.1 Laptop with some GBs and GHz...
DJTechz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5
macman312
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: melbourne
Hi

I don't need to use both at the same time. I might just risk it and I can always use my TV for the pi, then once I have some more $$$ I can get another cheap monitor on ebay or something.

The thunderbolt display has great resolution and I don't see why I couldn't plug in the converter I found
macman312 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Giuly
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman312 View Post
The thunderbolt display has great resolution and I don't see why I couldn't plug in the converter I found
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice
This device is not Bidirectional. It can only connect a Mini-DisplayPort source to an HDMI® display. It will not work in reverse.
.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:05 PM   #7
rosesawin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
i agree with you,ou can just VNC from Pi to MacBook then you could still get a Thunderbolt Display.[img]http://www.***********xinjiechi/images/11.gif[/img]
rosesawin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman312 View Post
Hi all

As the title suggests I am wondering if I can use the thunderbolt display with a hdmi computer. In particular the raspberry pi. For those who don't know the raspberry pi is a ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I have a MBP 15" and was thinking of buying a thunderbolt display to go with that but would I be able to buy an adaptor such as this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and use that?
No.

----------

The Thunderbolt display will only work with Thunderbolt-enabled computers.

You might be able to get away with getting the 27" Apple LED display (which, mind you, is still sold alongside the 27" Thunderbolt display), but you'd need something to convert a female HDMI port to a female Mini DisplayPort. Not to say that you can't do that, but at that point, you might as well just buy a non-Apple display as it will be cheaper, just as pretty, and more compatible with your Rasberry Pi.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:03 PM   #9
macman312
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
No.

----------

The Thunderbolt display will only work with Thunderbolt-enabled computers.

You might be able to get away with getting the 27" Apple LED display (which, mind you, is still sold alongside the 27" Thunderbolt display), but you'd need something to convert a female HDMI port to a female Mini DisplayPort. Not to say that you can't do that, but at that point, you might as well just buy a non-Apple display as it will be cheaper, just as pretty, and more compatible with your Rasberry Pi.

is thunderbolt and mini dp the same?
if I bought one of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 and then plugged in a tb to hdmi converter?

I might try since it isn't very expensive.... But it is probably easier to buy the TB display for my mac and a $150 monitor for my Raspberry pi

I don't see as long as TB and mini DP are the same shape etc how it could tell the difference between the 2 computers but anyway.... I love apple but this is just annoying
macman312 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:30 PM   #10
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman312 View Post
is thunderbolt and mini dp the same?
if I bought one of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 and then plugged in a tb to hdmi converter?

I might try since it isn't very expensive.... But it is probably easier to buy the TB display for my mac and a $150 monitor for my Raspberry pi

I don't see as long as TB and mini DP are the same shape etc how it could tell the difference between the 2 computers but anyway.... I love apple but this is just annoying
Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort both have the same connector, Thunderbolt ports can use Mini DisplayPort devices, but Mini DisplayPorts cannot use Thunderbolt devices. Thunderbolt incorporates Mini DisplayPort technology but PCIe into the mix; this is why the previous sentence is what it is.

----------

This article ought to be helpful:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1158...d_to_know.html
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would Apple add HDMI-in to the upcoming Thunderbolt Display refresh? PatriotInvasion Mac Peripherals 17 Mar 25, 2014 02:21 AM
Thunderbolt/Mini Display Port to HDMI tacticalvi Mac Peripherals 1 Dec 19, 2013 07:54 AM
Thunderbolt Display and PS3 (or any HDMI console) Rizzm Mac Peripherals 3 Nov 15, 2013 11:30 AM
HDMI versus Thunderbolt via Mini Display Port silverjam Mac Peripherals 6 Jul 7, 2012 03:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC