Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Hi Guys,

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but here goes:

I want to buy a nexus 7, and I went to the google play store to have a look only to see the price in USD (I'm in the UK). This confused me a little especially considering seeing many articles quoting the specific price (£159) on the 'UK google play store'.

I spent a while hunting around on the site for options to change and even looked at all my google account settings but couldn't get the pricing to change.

Finally I thought 'okay, there's probably an option at the checkout or something' - sure enough when i go to check out with a nexus 7 in the basket there's a field for location. That field is set to United States and there is no way to change it. WTH?!

tl;dr - HOW DO I GET TO THE UK VERSION OF THE GOOGLE PLAY STORE??

UPDATE: I added my home (UK) address to my newly opened google wallet account and when going to the play store again, I can see my address in the select address dropdown but it's greyed out saying 'seller does not ship to this address'... not impressed google...

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Oh I see, google.co.uk (I often get a prompt asking if I want to switch to .com whilst I'm at work though...)

At the bottom of the page you can switch countries (defaulted to US for me).
play.jpg

Or click here: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_32gb_hspa&feature=home-mt-0&hl=en_GB

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Oh dear.

I have even more bad news for you, the 16GB (£159.99 Nexus 7) is sold out! :(

Bummer :( I'll have another go when I get home, could be weird proxies at work or something. that's a shame, hopefully won't be too long before it's back in stock, no retailers seem to be carrying the 16 GB version at the mo!

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Yup it works now that I'm home, silly work proxy! Sorry everyone!

----------

I'm getting the UK price here, weird. Here is my exact link, is it in US when you follow it?

Nexus 7

Sorry only just seen this, I expect it would have been in US as I was utterly unable to change the site even with the dropdown menu/UK url.

It's UK at home though

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
If anyone's interested I bit the bullet and went for the 3G version in the end, decided in the long run 80 quid isn't all that much for twice the storage + data anywhere (esp. as browsing will be a major use most likely) + laptop tethering on the odd occasion. I'll probably just get preloaded 3GB sims from 3 as and when for a tenner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.